Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My EK1 daily/track day warrior diary (for now).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great update man! You beat me to those rims hahah!

Sell my your type R hat!
    1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
    1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
    2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
    F1 Nut

Comment

Nice driving sir! Faster than cars with a lot more power!

Comment

It was the weight reduction from the brake pads that netted you the awesome PB. I suggest next time you head out with no brakes on the front utilising only your rear drum brakes, like you did on the 300km journey home.

On a serious note, if you were only doing 80% with me in the first session, I couldn't imagine how aggressive you would have to been driving to shave off those seconds. Your 80% was my 1,180%. Absolutely insane skills!

Keep it up eskimo_firefighter!

Comment

Was great to see you out there kicking it with the much faster cars in your group! Well done on the PB and keep up with the good work.

PS. I'm sure theres more time to be had in there somewhere with the car as it is.
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Great job mate!

Comment

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
              Great update man! You beat me to those rims hahah!

Sell my your type R hat!
              Haha thanks man, thanks for the support too. Haha you really love these wheels don't ya, if I find another similar set or hat I'll let you know boss, haha.

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
              Nice driving sir! Faster than cars with a lot more power!
              Thanks M@lew! Some boss driving out there from you God Hand.

Originally posted by butter View Post
              It was the weight reduction from the brake pads that netted you the awesome PB. I suggest next time you head out with no brakes on the front utilising only your rear drum brakes, like you did on the 300km journey home.

On a serious note, if you were only doing 80% with me in the first session, I couldn't imagine how aggressive you would have to been driving to shave off those seconds. Your 80% was my 1,180%. Absolutely insane skills!

Keep it up eskimo_firefighter!
              Hahaha, thanks Butter. Cheers for the support and for coming up. RHCP on the way home was pretty boss. Usually drained on the drive home, haha. Can't wait until you get the car back on the track.

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
              Was great to see you out there kicking it with the much faster cars in your group! Well done on the PB and keep up with the good work.

PS. I'm sure theres more time to be had in there somewhere with the car as it is.
              Thanks Mugsee!

Yes I agree that there is more time to be had, hopefully after I put in the ATE super blue racing fluid, my braking will be more consistent through out the day (thanks again by the way, haha). I'm not sure how much faster this car will go with its current setup, but I'll try my best and keep at it while having lots of fun while, haha.

Originally posted by tRipitaka View Post
              Great job mate!
              Thanks mate!
              Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 20-06-13, 10:29 PM.
              1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Finally a decent brake upgrade.

Not much has been happening. Still haven't changed the brakes due to laziness and other things since Winton. After realizing that I should stop being cheap on brakes, I Bought a new decent set of QFM A1RM which is some Australian brand brake pad from brakes direct Australia. These have some pretty good reviews online but no one that I know of have used them. They are supposed to be a street/track pad, just seeing that description already gives me a giant morale boost.

Will be replacing the brake fluid with the ATE super blue racing brake fluid at the same time, as the OEM fluid hasn't been that great at the track. Hopefully changing both pads and fluid will improve my braking at the track. Will report back on how they do on the next track day, which might be a Winton tampered day or a track day at Phillip island sometime in August or even a track day at Wakefield depending on my schedule. I've always wanted to go to Wakefield but I always end up wussing out.

Comment

July 27th EXE dyno day.

Had an opportunity to attend an EXE dyno day. Well organized and was a good catch up.

Took the EK for a few dyno runs and here's what she managed.

To be honest, it put down a little less than I expected. But the car still feels healthy so I'm not fussed at all.
                  Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 28-07-13, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Very nice work on the ek!

I've always wanted to track but I have no money to, got all the suspension components too D:

My y4 put down around 55~ on the chasers dyno with a really healthy engine, so 53 aint that bad really given the chasers dyno was a bit high for others.

Comment

Originally posted by pho View Post
                      Very nice work on the ek!

I've always wanted to track but I have no money to, got all the suspension components too D:

My y4 put down around 55~ on the chasers dyno with a really healthy engine, so 53 aint that bad really given the chasers dyno was a bit high for others.
                      Thanks mate!

I feel a lot better after seeing your comment. Haha.

Awesome that you want to track the EK1 too. They may only have 55kw ATW but they are really capable cars with decent suspension modifications.

Comment

Circuit Club / Yokohama Advan Track day

Winton was forecasted with a 90% chance of rain. I was betting on that 10% that it wouldn't. But it did....

Driving on with A048's on a wet cold track was a difficult task. Wasn't able to get any heat in them so they would not grip. So I decided to abandon PB chasing early on and use my street tyres for some fun.

Few things I've have learnt is that braking in the wet with a car with no ABS is extremely difficult as it was just locking up all over the place. And that street tyres are far better than semi slicks in the rain.

Overall it was a decent day. I manged a 1:49.2 with the A048 in decent conditions in one session and a 1:52.2 in decent conditions with a passenger with the street tyres (federal 595ss).

Didn't get to test the brakes out fully due to the conditions. But they seemed good. I will give a decent evaluation when I get to utilize them more.

No more track days for a while. I will probably wait until the end of the year for some track days where there is no chance of rain what so ever.

Comment

Well...... I wish it never came to this. But this car has been written off at a EXE-crew hill climb track day by myself.

The ek1's demise.

My best run at a hillclimb ever.

This is what happens when you go too fast into a corner, brake too late, and turn in too late. Recipe for a written off EK.

It was an incredibly fun, reliable car and I'm pretty disappointed that I had to end so early. I had quite a few plans of which didn't follow through, such as buying my old EP3 (the next owner owner crashed it on the street) back and starting a kswap build. And I also wanted to give Winton many many more goes to see how much faster this car can go in its current config, and to try other tracks. But that doesn't matter as I'm not hurt/injured and I could always try and buy another cheap car, so no big deal. Haha

Well that's pretty much the end of this car. I am currently in the market for another cheap daily. Very much prefer an EK shell with a blown motor or what not, even eg/ed/ef I am good with as long as it's light and can somehow fit my GAB SS coilovers from the EK1 wreck I have. Or if I get lucky I might even skip the daily and go for one of my dream cars (I'm way too pansy to do that now).

Like to thank everyone for their help and support with this. I might not show it sometimes, but I seriously do appreciate it.

That's pretty much it.
                          Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 11-10-13, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Glad you were ok, I was so scared as I ran over to the car. The fact that I saw the bottom of the EK shocked me. Reshell and daily!
                            1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                            1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                            2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                            F1 Nut

Comment

Very unfortunate

However I am so impressed with the lap times down at Winton

Hope you get back out there soon .
                              Moiz
                              無限 teamgroundzero 無限

Comment

Fuark bro. Thats a shame. Lucky you're all good and the car wasn't worth much. Probably why you could get such fast times pushing it. Haha.

Will you be coming along to exe next month to spectate?

Comment

Working...
                                X