X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanR's DC5S

Hi all.

It's Daniel here from Melbourne.

I created an Intro thread a few months ago and it was starting to turn into a diary so I thought i'd commence a thread in the proper section, so if this initial post looks like a repeat it is :P

So far the mods I have done are:

Interior

Mugen Gear knob

Engine
    GruppeM intake
    Hardrace Engine Mounts
    J's Racing Thermofan Switch
    J's Racing Thermostat
    Mishimoto Fan Shroud Kit
    Mishimoto Radiator
    Mishimoto Radiator hoses (blue)
    SFS Induction hose (blue)
    Spoon Oil filler cap
    Spoon Magnetic Oil & transmission drain bolts
    Spoon Radiator Cap
    Spoon Socks
    Tegiwa intake breather pipe (blue)

Handling
    Tein Street Advance Coilovers
    Hardrace Rear camber arm
    Whiteline front camber bolt

Wheels
    SSR type C-RS Bronze wheels in 17x8 +31
    Toyo T1 Sports in 235/40/17
    Rays Duralumin Lock & Nuts

I am sorry for the poor quality of these pics and also for the lack of cleaning the car beforehand, but there will be more to come later i'm sure.
    Cheers

Dan

Last edited by DanR; 21-01-13, 04:21 AM.
    My Dc5s thread

Welcome again! Nice car Daniel!
    Shak's S2000

Comment

After getting the wheels and suspension installed, I took the car to Centreline Suspension in Thomastown (next to Hell's Angels club house )

I was very happy with the job that was done, with the front running more negative camber than the rears now.

Out of interest I put the stock wheels (17x7 with 215/45/17 tyres) on a pair of scales for comparison and they came in at 20.2kg each compared to SSR (17x8 with 235/40/17) at 17.5kg each.

Better looking, increased width and significantly lighter.. win, win, win. hehe

My Dc5s thread

Comment

Reduced unsprung weight ftw!
        ClubITR | Like

Comment

Now that the car is close to 100000km I decided it was due a service.

I purchased the spark plugs and Redline MTL off Ebay, The Royal Purple from Autobarn, and the Spoon Magnetic drain bolts and HAMP oil filter from JDM Concept.

I decided the transmission oil was due a change as i was getting notchy shifts from 1-2 and 2-3.

I have read that this can be an issue with DC5 boxes and after taking the car for a spin today I am very happy with the difference the Redline MTL has made.

The car is running much smoother and I feel I have more power in low revs after the oil change. I was previously using Castrol Edge 5W-40.

On a side note I made my first Noob mistake... When I was jacking the front I was not in the correct jack point... Silly me decided what I now know is the Radiator Support was a good area to jack the car as getting my current trolly jack under the car after it had been lowered was a bit of a challenge.

Anyway long story short my bonnet now does not sit flush when closed The mechanism is fine but it appears the middle section near the latch is bent maybe a cm or two up... Feel a bit silly now but the bonnet is still sitting even and is maybe a finger higher than it should be. I have read about other people who have done this before but they had it worse than mine is. Unless you look at it close you cannot tell but it will probably annoy me.

So sometime down the track when I take the radiator out (I have my eyes on a Mishimoto system) I will either take it to a panel beater or take a wood and mallet to it myself to straighten it up again
          Last edited by DanR; 11-11-12, 04:13 PM.
          My Dc5s thread

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
            Welcome again! Nice car Daniel!
            Cheers mate!

Originally posted by felixR View Post
            Reduced unsprung weight ftw!
            Haha yeah well my goal was to get at least even weight between the OEM and new wheels, but as soon as i picked them both up i could tell the difference.

OEM DC5S wheels are quite heavy really
            My Dc5s thread

Comment

Nice looking car and mods. Will you be bringing it out to the track anytime in the near future?
              Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                Nice looking car and mods. Will you be bringing it out to the track anytime in the near future?
                I will get around to tracking it at some stage mate, but I have never been before and have not learned how to heel & toe

I already have a JsRacing Low temp Thermostat, and Thermo Switch waiting for me to buy a radiator.

How critical is a baffled sump for track? I'm assuming that with low spring rates on my Tein Street Advance Coils (Front 7 and Rear 9) that i won't be generating enough G's to 100% need one.
                My Dc5s thread

Comment

Baffled sump is always nice to have but not 100% necessary when just starting out.

I'm not running one yet (although I really should look into one).

In conclusion - If you can afford one why not otherwise just make sure your oil is always high.

Comment

great seeing another DC5S

Comment

Good start to your car mate, keep it up

Comment

God i love the blue!
                        Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

Today I decided to take a hack saw to my rear bumber to fix a scrubbing issue I was encountering with my rear wheels.

Some scrub marks from my rear tyres

Here is a pick of the problem area. You can't see from this photo but there was a visible black smooth area where the tyre was scrubbing

My weapon of choice

The result

I went for a quick test drive on a fairly uneven road around my area and the problem seems to be fixed.

I'm currently in the process of sourcing a Mishimoto radiator and Fans to install, and at the same time repair the bent radiator support that some of you may have seen at the last meet (bonnet not sitting flush). A Js Racing thermostat, thermo-fan switch and blue mishimoto radiator hose are all awaiting installation in the garage
                          Last edited by DanR; 16-12-12, 05:22 PM.
                          My Dc5s thread

Comment

Still looking for that Kakimoto exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by butter View Post
                              Still looking for that Kakimoto exhaust?
                              I have a few other things in the pipeline first mate but I have my mind set on it. Will have an update in the next week or two once some parts arrive
                              My Dc5s thread

Comment

Working...
                              X