Integra Type S - My Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
    Whats wrong with that, a lot of people do that, if you can heel toe and rev match into 2nd theres no problem missing third.
    Hmmm.. Suppose... I don't do that but that's me, we all drive differently. I always assumed it was better as your gearing down helping you slow down better but also keeping good optimal speed and revs"?

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
      Hmmm.. Suppose... I don't do that but that's me, we all drive differently. I always assumed it was better as your gearing down helping you slow down better but also keeping good optimal speed and revs"?
      Yeah true! I;m pretty sure going from 4th to 3rd to 2nd would slow you down quicker as you would be using engine braking also so you are correct in that but some people do just do all the braking in 1 gear then rev match it to go to 2nd.
      S2000
      WSID : TBA
      Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
      Smooth As Detailing
      Incar Racing

Comment

Whats wrong with that, a lot of people do that, if you can heel toe and rev match into 2nd theres no problem missing third.
        Thats what i thought also!
        Originally posted by iversonruls View Post
        ur time to beat is 13.6 without lsd which i did in 2010 =D
        My new target then kevin!
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

although heel and toeing is a basic manoeuvre, i find that its easy to forget to time it right when you're shifting through two gears at once. i always aim to downshift the moment the RPMs drop enough so that when i match it for the next gear it doesnt over rev. so ideally, you want to be in the lower gear as early as you can to take advantage of engine braking which helps ALOT.
          eckoflyte

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
            i read a study once that suggested that a lot of people uneccessarily extend the braking zone by changing down through every gear and it was often better to skip a gear in order to make the braking more efficient and transfer the weight more gradually.

Comment

Originally posted by stevan View Post
              i read a study once that suggested that a lot of people uneccessarily extend the braking zone by changing down through every gear and it was often better to skip a gear in order to make the braking more efficient and transfer the weight more gradually.
              i can understand the reasoning behind that. only problem ive noticed is that if you hang around too long in 4th waiting for the RPMs to drop far enough before you can match it for 2nd gear, you would've wasted the earlier advantage of engine braking in 3rd at a higher RPM range. I would think if you were proficient in downshifting smoothly and quickly through the gears (instead of skipping) it would net better stopping results.
              eckoflyte

Comment

i agree, i feel the car pulls up better when heel-toeing through all the gears instead of skipping a gear!
                S2000
                WSID : TBA
                Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                Smooth As Detailing
                Incar Racing

Comment

btw alex is 1.14.2 your new PB? congratz dude, espesh with that twitchy setup! you can break into 13s easily even with steet tyres.
                  eckoflyte

Comment

I've always been quite afond of skipping through gears on the downshift. In Alex's example of the WP back straight where you change straight down from 4th gear to 2nd gear where you are not required to blip the throttle through each gear. There is a slight advantage here as every driver loses a fraction of brake pressure when blipping the throttle. IMO a 4-2 down shift is reasonable, however an onboard video of an S2000 in Canada/ US comes to mind where he is down shifting from 6-2 in one go which I've always thought was a bit ridiculous. It's quite hard to match the revs on such a big downshift.

This said I've been downshifting through all the gears lately, because I love the sound of blipping the throttle. You gotta look and sound cool right?
                    Like Cars For Hope | www.carsforhope.com.au | www.berty.com.au

Comment

I found that setting the car up to oversteer will be better suited to DC5R. 30PSI hot on street tyres too low, the side wall are flexing.

What tyre and rim setup your using?
                      BYP Racing & Developments
                      Built. Tuned. Driven
                      Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

It was too much oversteer jimmy, yeah i normally run 36 hot, but i reduced it so te car didnt oversteer as much.

Using the direzzas and regamasters!
                        Integra Type R
                        Integra Type S
                        S2000

Comment

Originally posted by andrew84tran View Post
                          i can understand the reasoning behind that. only problem ive noticed is that if you hang around too long in 4th waiting for the RPMs to drop far enough before you can match it for 2nd gear, you would've wasted the earlier advantage of engine braking in 3rd at a higher RPM range. I would think if you were proficient in downshifting smoothly and quickly through the gears (instead of skipping) it would net better stopping results.
                          I understand and for extremely experienced and skillfull drivers you are right, as Berty mentioned though, quite often for lesser drivers when blipping for the downshift i found that my brake pressure would lower slightly, in this case braking evenly and matching second on the last corner at WP might be better.

i agree, i feel the car pulls up better when heel-toeing through all the gears instead of skipping a gear!
                          car wont pull up any differently, and will probably be more stable when skipping one gear in exchange for applying better braking, just have to know your timing for second

Comment

Another thing I'd like to highlight is the DC5's stock cooling! only 2 of the sessions I hit 125 deg C, just 1-2 cool down laps with the heater on and a minute or two on idle in the pits, the oil temp dropped from 125 on the track right back down to the 95 deg C mark once in the pits. Was planning on upgrading the cooling aspect of the car with a Koyo Radiator, Mugen Thermostat and a Greddy Oil Cooler. Will have these plans on hold until the final trackday of 2012, Circuit Club December. I'll see how the temps are on that day and if need be, an early Xmas present for the car with the parts mentioned above.
                            Integra Type R
                            Integra Type S
                            S2000

Comment

Nice work on the PB Alex! Good discussion as well. I never skip gears just to conserve synchros and also I have never driven a front wheel drive car that I thought had too much oversteer, but tastes vary.

Comment

30 psi is pretty low for street rubber alex unless u are on semis. I'd be very wary of Tyre degradation so keep an eye on it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
                                Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
                                Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
                                Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

Working...
                                X