No announcement yet.

Stephen_AUS DC5R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's definitely one nice looking exhaust, alot of sections to it eh?. Glad your deciding to chuck a cat on. Having said that though, a 100 cell cat wouldn't pass the pits here in WA.

Norm

Comment

Tough call. Personally I would keep the exhaust in its original form and research more on getting some custom headers or just a 2-1 custom piece made like you mentioned.

If you do get some 4-2-1 headers (And get a custom 2-1 made), then if you change your exhaust in the future, could you just put the original 2-1 piece back on and fit a new exhaust without issues?
      I guess this is similar to the alternative of cutting the exhaust, except the resale value of the exhaust will probably decrease.

Comment

don't get us wrong mate, we are trying to help, but the problem is you don't have to many options,
        another thought is going option 2, but instead of using a j's or spoon 4-2, maybe contact ssr (the original designers of the plm) to see if they could custom you a big tube 4-2 header, good chance even it will not out perform a normal 4-2-1, but that maybe just due to the restriction of the basic design, it could be worth talking to them because thats there area and good chance it wouldn't cost a whole more than a spoon or j's anyways
        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
          don't get us wrong mate, we are trying to help, but the problem is you don't have to many options,
          another thought is going option 2, but instead of using a j's or spoon 4-2, maybe contact ssr (the original designers of the plm) to see if they could custom you a big tube 4-2 header, good chance even it will not out perform a normal 4-2-1, but that maybe just due to the restriction of the basic design, it could be worth talking to them because thats there area and good chance it wouldn't cost a whole more than a spoon or j's anyways
          Yes, you are correct ... my options are very limited and decision is hard.
          Your idea sounds pretty good, and I will send out an email to SSR to see what they could be able to custom make. But when you said it probably won't outperform to a normal 4-2-1 design ... isn't it just better of getting a Spoon or J's for the little extra money?

Image from BYP Racing and Developments

Blue line - PLM Header + Retune
          Orange line - J's Racing Header (Baseline tune)

When I see that dyno sheet, it seems that the PLM had outperformed the J's by a mile! That close to an extra 8kw ATW difference, under those circumstances! This also temps me to buy a PLM header due to these good outputs, even though I do have to ditch the downpipe but it is also an easier approach. Or am I reading it wrong ? What does baseline tune mean ?
          Last edited by Stephen_AUS; 05-05-12, 12:20 PM.

Comment

WOW I just saw the photos of the exhaust.. very very nice!
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

So recently I bought a 5zigen Replica 4-2 Header from a mate of mine that would be used as a temporary header untill I source something better! At this stage I will be going with the cat being installed into the downpipe section. All I need now is a EP3R sway bar! Here it is:

Though I had also recently noticed the weld quality on the 70RR, they seemed to be very poor in some sections of the exhaust. Ill show you the pictures and see what you think about them yourself. My father pointed out to me there could be a burr/hole in on of the sections of the weld and will be checked out. Just recently sent an email to JDM Concept to see what they say about this quality of work performed, I just think for a J's Racing product, it should have been top quality work performed.

Comment

Plus I also just recently got all my gauges wiring all braided sleeved so it's all neat and tidy. All I need to order now is a oil sandwich plate and water adapter for the sensors.

Comment

Wow....
                  In the earlier photos that looked good the exhaust...
                  Close uo o.O
                  Wow... Those are shocking welds for something that's 'JDM', don't think i've seen something so bad, that look like something you would expect from an apprentice to be honest...

Comment

Gauges look awesome!

Wow, at first i thought the photos of the welds were from the rep headers and i could somewhat believe the quality. But then to read and find out they were actually from the J's exhaust! I'm quite disheartened.

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                      Wow....
                      In the earlier photos that looked good the exhaust...
                      Close uo o.O
                      Wow... Those are shocking welds for something that's 'JDM', don't think i've seen something so bad, that look like something you would expect from an apprentice to be honest...
                      Originally posted by rookie View Post
                      Gauges look awesome!

Wow, at first i thought the photos of the welds were from the rep headers and i could somewhat believe the quality. But then to read and find out they were actually from the J's exhaust! I'm quite disheartened.
                      Yeah the welds are shocking, and it's only on the downpipe and the 1st part of the b pipe (without the resonator). My father and I were saying the same thing, thinking it's like a replica and also thinking an apprentice seemed to have done some of the shocking welds. Half of the exhaust has good nice welds, and then the other half is shocking. Tbh, the welds on the rep headers are really good, performed by a professional for sure!

I've got in contact with JDM Concept and what I have told them is going forward to J's Racing in Japan. To me it seems like I might get some kind of compensation or something for it. Just depends how things go first, so can't assure that yet.

Comment

The average welding-job is pretty common among all the 304-R products.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/7920...ng-70rs-c304r/

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ore-buying!!!&

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen_AUS View Post
                          So recently I bought a 5zigen Replica 4-2 Header from a mate of mine that would be used as a temporary header untill I source something better! At this stage I will be going with the cat being installed into the downpipe section. All I need now is a EP3R sway bar! Here it is:

Though I had also recently noticed the weld quality on the 70RR, they seemed to be very poor in some sections of the exhaust. Ill show you the pictures and see what you think about them yourself. My father pointed out to me there could be a burr/hole in on of the sections of the weld and will be checked out. Just recently sent an email to JDM Concept to see what they say about this quality of work performed, I just think for a J's Racing product, it should have been top quality work performed.

Shame about the exhaust!

That header worked pretty well for me too. I was sceptical at first but its very value for money!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by etherealfall View Post
                            Shame about the exhaust!

That header worked pretty well for me too. I was sceptical at first but its very value for money!

Peter, with the header, where it would bolt on to the 2-1 downpipe section, did you use spring bolts on both pipes or one side ?

Comment

This was the resonse I got from J's Racing not long ago about the 70RR welding.
                              Response from J’s Racing president. Murakami-san.

Dear Stephen Carroll

Thank you for purchaseing our product.

We have checked some pictures that you sent to JDM concepts.
                              If the welding of our exhaust confuses you,we will apologize for it.

But we think this is different the method of welding for 5zigen 4-2 mani.

There are two types of welding method.
                              One of them is semiautomatic and the other one is TIG welding.
                              A manufacture unit price changes with each method.

Our method of weld is semiautomatic,that looks is not so good but there is no problem for performance.
                              We do not want to raise the price of C304 exhaust.
                              If you wish welding of TIG, I will recommend the purchase of FX-PRO Titanumu exhaust.

we hope that you will find many more hours of pleasure and fun with our products.

Regards,
                              J'S RACING Japan
                              Hisaaki Murakami

Response from JDM Concept, Leo

Also to be fair, spoon n1 muffler uses similar welding, so is some of the Japanese brands. Basically all the tuning company some share the same factory that makes all their muffler. I actually have a look at spoon welding when the c304 arrives to compare it. the only face they use tig welding is the one that the exhaust canister is facing the ouside. J’s racing did the same as well but unfortunately because yours is race exhaust, there is no canister for it.

Fujitsubo welding is different because they have their own factory and they cost a lot more.

To pro fx in 70rr for dc5, you are looking at about $2450.00 landed so its double the price of the c304 that you purchase.

Kind regards
                              Leonardy
                              Let me know what you think ...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen_AUS View Post
                                Peter, with the header, where it would bolt on to the 2-1 downpipe section, did you use spring bolts on both pipes or one side ?
                                Yep. Spring bolts one one side if i recall correctly. Ill take a look at the jdm 2-1 and get back to you, in hopes it refreshes my memory.

Comment

Working...
                                X