Steve's DC5S (another Steve!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve's DC5S (another Steve!)

Hey everyone, I've been on these forums for a little while now, occasionally posting here and there and I thought it's time I created one of these threads

Bought my '06 Type S from an old fellow who bought the car due to a mid-life crisis, lol. Bought it with 59,000km on the clock September 2010 and now I'm at 76500km. Car was babied a lot with the previous owner ... now it's pushed the way it should be (on the street, within legal limits heh)

Currently studying dentistry at Griffith University ... hence as a poor student I've been slowly adding some bits and pieces over the past year. Also, I get to put a lot of extra mileage as I drive back and forth from Gold Coast/Brisbane every week For the time being, it's orientated towards being a nice daily street machine. Taking it to the track is something I'd definitely like to do in the future, but just not right now.

Mod List

Engine
    GruppeM Intake
    Fujitsubo Powergetter
    Toda headers w/ high flow cat
    Hardrace Engine Mounts

Suspension
    Tein Basic coilovers
    Work Emotion XD9 (17x8.5 +32)
    Dunlop Direzza Star Specs 235/40/17
    Hardrace Rear Camber Arms

Interior
    Skunk2 gearknob

Exterior
    HID retrofit - H1 Mini projectors w/ 5000k H1 HID bulbs and Digital ballasts

Bought but haven't installed yet!
    Nothing at the moment and not for a while ... going to be heaps poor after my trip to Japan

Planned mods for the future
    Kpro/Haltech - Not sure which one I'll go for. I've just started to do some research on them and there seems to be pros and cons for both ...

New coilovers - I haven't really been in any other DC5 before, but from driving my friend's s2000, it feels like my car is far too ... bouncy and soft. I'd really like to have a more rigid ride. HSD and BC Racing coilovers seem to be some decently priced coilovers suitable for my use.

Swaybar/Strut bar - Stiffen up the car for taking some corners with aggression, hehe

Flywheel and clutch - So far it seems that a JDM Type R flywheel is a good choice to retain some driveability on the street. After driving the same friends s2000 that has an ACT clutch kit with a super aggressive bite, I felt like it's time for me to look at something similar-ish!

Forced induction - Not even sure if I'll even get to doing this. If so, it'll probably be one of the last things I'll do. Turbocharging seems to be very, very costly to do reliably. Supercharging seems more suitable for me ... costs less, but less power ... still I think it would be sufficient for me. But yeah, like I said ... who knows if I'll progress this far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This car has certainly cost me a tonne of money since getting it. I've gotten a few comments from people who think I'm wasting time/money with this given that I don't even track it competitively/casually ... but whatever; haters gonna hate, skaters gonna skate, potatoes gonna potate; my money would otherwise be sitting around doing nothing and thus far I've really enjoyed my car's slow transformation from bone stock to what it is now.

I guess it would've been nicer to have created this thread from the moment I got my car, then I could have commented with every single mod that I did over the course of a year. But not really much to say other than that each mod I've done was worth the money and really changed the car into something I love

I think I've rofflewaffled a bit too much now, thanks for reading thus far. I guess I'll update with pictures later (I only created this thread to procrastinate sleep after a big night out, lawl), as well as other mods as I have them installed. At this stage, I still consider myself a noob to all this, so any comments/constructive criticism/suggestions relating to my future planned mods is very much welcome!

Oh yeah, shout-out to etheralfall ... my dentistry/type s/starcraft buddy, haha! And to stevan, who I don't know if he remembers, has answered a fair few of my noob questions in great detail - great guy I hope to meet the QLD ClubITR people sometime soon (even the interstate people if I get the chance), I don't really have many car buddies to talk and chill with!

... jesus christ I waffle on a lot

Pics for the masses! (credits to my mate Paul for taking the photos!)

Hard parking at market square with two of my mates, lol

Last edited by ggwpty; 07-12-11, 10:10 AM.

Damn thats a quality mod list! Pics dude! U are also apparoaching a Semi major service, so since your apparently a "pooor uni atudent" (with ur mods, i highly doubt that haha), you may want to budget for the service at 80k km

What colour is your ride dude.
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Sick write up Steve! Lol he is nhbp. Sexy mfcker!

Comment

Btw MIGHT crash your ball today

Comment

Need more pics!

How do you find your Hardrace Mounts?

Comment

Love it man, nice tasteful mods doesn't sound like your running on aloe budget, gruppem is baller
            1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
            1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
            2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
            F1 Nut

Comment

Originally posted by p33r View Post
              Need more pics!

Hardrace Mounts are perfect mate,little if not,no vibration i recommend these highly!

If you want vibration got for Hasport like me its like sitting in a diesel fruit truck

Comment

Which hard races did you go for? 60a? 75a? I'm considering em, anyone rate em?
                Last edited by dnapol; 19-11-11, 11:44 AM.
                1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                F1 Nut

Comment

Me and Steve got them the same time, and afaik, they're rated between 60A and mugen mounts. Virtually no wheel hop, launching feels more lively and some increase in cabin noise/vibrations. However the car is still comfortable and until I asked my gf, she had no idea there were more vibrations

Comment

Originally posted by ggwpty View Post
                    haters gonna hate, skaters gonna skate, potatoes gonna potate
                    hahaha never heard that one before! Great to see you have made your intro thread, great list of parts too, throw some pictures up

Always happy to help fellow members when i can, i got my fair share of help when i fist started believe me

P.S best thread title ever.

Comment

indeed its a good thread title. had me at 630 in the morning!
                      Integra Type R
                      Integra Type S
                      S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzo321 View Post
                        Hardrace Mounts are perfect mate,little if not,no vibration i recommend these highly!

If you want vibration got for Hasport like me its like sitting in a diesel fruit truck
                        Lol diesel fruit truck. I've got innovative 60a now but im still getting some wheel hop and shifting feels a little jerky. Maybe one of them are deformed? Or maybe tyre/suspension issue?

Tossing up between changing to Hardrace or hasport. But don't want to go Hardrace if it's softer than the innovatives (in terms of holding engine). I can deal with vibes up to the level of innovative 60as but not sure if I'd be able to deal with hasport vibes.

Comment

Lol diesel fruit truck. I've got innovative 60a now but im still getting some wheel hop and shifting feels a little jerky. Maybe one of them are deformed? Or maybe tyre/suspension issue?

Tossing up between changing to Hardrace or hasport. But don't want to go Hardrace if it's softer than the innovatives (in terms of holding engine). I can deal with vibes up to the level of innovative 60as but not sure if I'd be able to deal with hasport vibes.
                          Could be anything man,most likely tyre issues..no grip maybe?

Im not sure about the Innovative man so cant comment!

if you can put up with vibration go with hasport,i cant fault them,they are strong and will not break =]

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                            Damn thats a quality mod list! Pics dude! U are also apparoaching a Semi major service, so since your apparently a "pooor uni atudent" (with ur mods, i highly doubt that haha), you may want to budget for the service at 80k km

What colour is your ride dude.
                            Nighthawk black Haha damn, with all the modding and what not I forgot about my next service T_T

Originally posted by etherealfall View Post
                            Btw MIGHT crash your ball today
                            LOL, keen. 7.30pm official start and afterparty somewhere in Broadbeach

Need more pics!

Heh, I'll have pics up soon when I've got some decent ones Haven't got the mounts in ... soon though!

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
                            Love it man, nice tasteful mods doesn't sound like your running on aloe budget, gruppem is baller
                            Haha, admittedly I'm not exactly on a 'low budget' per se, but pretty much all my income goes to my car. No money to spend on other things aside from going out here and there. Also I got my GruppeM and Powergetter for second hand at a pretty decent price

Originally posted by stevan View Post
                            hahaha never heard that one before! Great to see you have made your intro thread, great list of parts too, throw some pictures up

Always happy to help fellow members when i can, i got my fair share of help when i fist started believe me

P.S best thread title ever.
                            Haha, cheers steve will get pics up sooon.

Comment

Freedom car wash soon?

Comment

Working...
                              X