Microsoft Zune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Zune

It just came out and is set to take on iPods.
    http://www.zune.net/en-US/meetzune/device.htm

Reviews:
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...24233&from=rss
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...iew-212255.php

What do you think? Should I get one whilst I'm in the states?
    almost JDM spec, y0!

saw this on the news just now. wifi ftw!
    T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Wonder how long it would take until we can use them with headunits like the iPod. Hopefully M$ will subsidise to help move it along
      happyhong says:
      aus only have 3 r
      happyhong says:
      civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

you can use them already ed

remember new decks already out with bluetooth 2.0 for audio streaming
        sony, pioneer and kenwood decks have that feature alpine is a bit slow

Comment

thats a costly exercise.. sigh..
          "Success is 99% Failure"
          Soichiro Honda.
          sigpic

Comment

if the product is successful, it wouldnt be too difficult to integrate them with current head units. AFAIK, most head units use some sort of interface box to connect the ipods to the head unit (like the alpine KCA-240i, or Kenwoods KCA-iP500). All they need to do is make a similar box to run the controls and feed audio from the Zune.
            T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

im not sure whether to get a zune or whether to get this:

Cowan A2
              • 20GBs; 16hrs of music playback; 8hrs of video playback.
              • 4" Display with 480 x 272px widescreen. It does not have an antiglare screen like the Zune but has something better as a PMP: It will playback videos without having to resize them!! Nearly all other PMPs on the market force you to re-encode videos to a lower resolution for playback which is the biggest pain in the ass. It takes about 30mins for a 1hr show.
              • Plays mp3s, wmas, wavs, jpgs, wmvs, divx, xvid, mpeg-4
              • It has shortcut A/B/C buttons to help navigate but its controls are not as good as iPods or the Zunes'.
              • It has FM Radio, radio recording, line in audio and video recording, voice recording with a built in microphone, ability to schedule alarms and recording sessions (ie. you can plug it into your tv and program it to record a show).
              • It has USB hosting so you can plug your digital camera up to it and download photos or plug a USB stick into it and download files.
              • It has TV output.
              • Review:http://www.dapreview.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.239.1
              almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

Does the Zune have bluetooth?
                And is the bluetooth as good as a cable connection? probably not.
                happyhong says:
                aus only have 3 r
                happyhong says:

Comment

Originally posted by wi11iam View Post
                  you can use them already ed

remember new decks already out with bluetooth 2.0 for audio streaming
                  sony, pioneer and kenwood decks have that feature alpine is a bit slow
                  Originally posted by fueltank View Post
                  Does the Zune have bluetooth?
                  And is the bluetooth as good as a cable connection? probably not.
                  no, the Zune does not have bluetooth. it has WiFi. high speed wireless networking.

a review i read said that a song was transferred in 20seconds and a picture was transferred in 1 second. i'm assume that the song was around 4mb.

currently if you send a song to another device other than syncing with your own PC, the song has a 3 play or 3 day expiration date. but it won't be long before someone hacks that security feature away.
                  almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

awesome!
                    Just need a headunit that will interface with the Zune
                    happyhong says:
                    aus only have 3 r
                    happyhong says:

Comment

Just make a car computer with a touch screen that folds out of your dash then you can make it what ever you want.... Blue tooth, wifi, as much storage as you want as well as GPS. I have started making one.
                      F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Page View Post
                        Just make a car computer with a touch screen that folds out of your dash then you can make it what ever you want.... Blue tooth, wifi, as much storage as you want as well as GPS. I have started making one.
                        You wouldn't need a Zune then as you'd just copy the MP3's from your bedroom to the garage via wifi
                        happyhong says:
                        aus only have 3 r
                        happyhong says:

Comment

and a carputer costs more too...lol

Comment

I downloaded the Zune theme onto my work desktop...hahaha

Comment

im torn between the a2 and the zune.

the a2 has heaps more features and playing videos in more formats and their native resolution is the biggest drawcard for me as i can just copy over all my lost/prisonbreak/survivor/lagunabeach episode downloads to it and watch them on the way to work. also the scheduled recording feature will be great when the world cup or other television events are on that i need to tape. and i need line in recording so much.

but the zune's wifi capabilities and the fact that it's an MS product that will be hacked by programmers across the globe gives it almost unlimited potential. i envisage people developing software and firmware upgrades to support browsing the internet, viewing maps, using it as a remote control and many other applications.

such a tough call. i might just buy them both.
                              almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

Working...
                              X