Japanese Docomo mobile phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Docomo mobile phones

Just wondering if any of you guys/girls own Docomo mobile phones, you know the ones, the flip phones you always see in japanese tv series and movies....

http://www.nttdocomo.com/features/newseries/index.html

I quite like them (particularly the F-08B and SH-07B models) but have no idea if they work with our sim cards, or whether they work in Australia at all?
    Last edited by iVTEC_R; 26-10-10, 04:28 PM.

These phones are slightly complicated and unless you carry around 2 phones they might be a bit annoying for you.

I used to have the F-01A and in order to use it here in Aus, you need to use something called a hypersim, which attaches to your simcard and makes it readable by the phone. In order for your phone to get reception, you need to put your sim with the hypersim into a "normal" phone and then make a quick dial to grab the reception and then back into your Docomo. These may have advanced though but generally the more exp the hypersim, the better they keep the signal which is vital because if you go somewhere with really bad reception such as an elevator or train station it will drop out and you may need normal phone to get the reception back.

You won't be able to use all the features of the phone here, it will be only sms and calls. No video, txt, mms etc. Also the phone may be in Jap and if you convert it to Eng, not all of the features are readily available either. Some of the phones have a 150 character limit for sms which can't be extended, meaning if you want to send a long sms you'll have to break it up manually which can also be a pain.

So in conclusion, they're a nice gadget to have especially if you have 2 phones on you, but if its the only phone you have, the lack of reception and features may frustrate you and make you get a new phone.

Comment

these look like all the mobile phones they use in the animes xD

moe

Comment

most docomo phones do have english built in.

the main issue is most of the features do not work. at least the camera will. my softbank flip phone has a 70 character SMS limit which is REALLY annoying. if you use 70 kanji characters that's plenty but 70 letters is useless.

you just need one of those ebay piggyback sims which will unlock a docomo, softbank and even some KDDI phones.

i've heard that places in chinatown may be able to permanently unlock common softbank models since most foreigners buy them but docomo is a bit harder.

if you just want a flip phone for the novelty get a older model off ebay. they're more likely to be unlocked where as new models may not even work with the hack sims.
        Last edited by michaelz; 26-10-10, 09:28 PM.
        00-0138 ITR

Comment

Dammmn, so much trouble just to get them working and keep them working =S. Doesnt sound worthwhile at all lol. Thanks for the information guys ^_^

Comment

when i was in Japan, i was trying to find a nokia charger. And let me tell you, it was next to impossible. Everyone uses this phone, and not the ones which we are accustomed to seeing.

Comment

Working...
            X