credit card fraud...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

credit card fraud...

Hey guys, i just got home from work, and decided to check my internet banking before going to bed (to double check loan payment came out of my account), to realised that a $500 purchase has been made on my credit card which i can not recollect making.

one problem is though, because it says its only been made today (6/11/06), it only lists the transaction as "PURCHASE AUTHORISATION" so i cant work out where its come from/gone to...

i'll definately be going to the bank tomorrow to check out whats going on... but in this situation, and if i turns out that its not a purchase i've made, what proof or how can i resolve the situation? i mean, how would they know that im not just trying to scam it?

i'm so worried about this.

any information would be great!

thanks

-Dean

have u done any sort of online shopping lately? (shopping as in online transactions where u have entered your credit card details). it couldve got hacked into... your details somewhat, 'stolen' whilst u were shopping.

ring your CC company/bank first thing in the morning and let them know, get them to investigate into it. hopefully it will go well... sorry to hear.
    <3j

Comment

Get on to it quick. Like ley said. I dont like CC's for this reason.
      F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

Been to any bodgy restaurants lately?
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Well, basically Purchase Authorisation means there has been a purchase made on the CC, which has not cleared yet. Meaning the merchant has yet to do their banking. It has 2 possibilities. 1 that is just drops off and does not charge your account, or it does. Your bank cannot act on it till the transaction has come through and charged your account. Once it does charge, and you are unsure of the transaction, basically ask them to dispute the transaction for you.
          What happens is they'll investigate the transaction for you and get back to you with a result whether it's in your favour or the merchants.
          There is normally like a $5 fee if the investigation is not found in your favour.

Hope that helps

Comment

thanks heaps stoodamire... thats heaps helpful.
            i just checked then and it still says purchase authorisation... so i think i'll wait until either the title changes or it drops off before acting on it

Comment

just call up the CC company and ask them where that transaction originated from, they should be able to tell you.
              T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

basically, if you havent signed for that pitcular purchase you can get it back.

Banks will work for you and ask merchants for sig, if tehy cannot provide money back to ur account. u r safe.

Comment

so where is the 'signature' in PayPal?

or is this different?
                  ... retired/

Comment

its nothing to worried about.. unless your visa doesnt have insurance? most have them now..

my mum cc was done for 12k in melb.. while she was in the UK.. she got the charges removed with one phone call.. and 3 weeks waiting time..
                    Team AMS

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
                      Been to any bodgy restaurants lately?
                      Let me translate cam comment..

have you been to any chinese restaurants lately...
                      Team AMS

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                        so where is the 'signature' in PayPal?

or is this different?
                        Im not familier with paypal., but i know if i charge ur cc and you havent signed it you can get all your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
                          Im not familier with paypal., but i know if i charge ur cc and you havent signed it you can get all your money back.
                          paypal have the worst chargeback system (for sellers). It is way too easy for the customer to call up their credit card company and say that they never got their goods, or it was a fraudulent transaction and the transaction is cancelled/cleared within a few weeks.

I'm sure with our merchant account at least is we need to have signatures. Any losses made from phone sales etc where the customer does not sign their little receipt need to be recovered through insurance, not the bank.
                          T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

i work for a bank as a teller... best bet would be to go to your bank (wait in line for 20 min) then be told you'll have to go wait in the other line (20 min wait) then get served by someone that has no idea, and wait another 20 min while they sit on the phone..... or you could just go to bank of queensland and have a chat to one of our friendly staff... and get it all sorted ASAP (i had to add that in )

yeah best bet would be talk to your bank.
                            Last edited by 45SET; 07-11-06, 06:13 PM.

Comment

its really a "credit" card.

It is possible for you to even sign something then contest that its not your own signature. It just depends on how LOW you really are.

Comment

Working...
                              X