Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on DSLR for a beginner?

Hi all,

I'm about to buy my first DSLR. The choice is either the latest 400D or the older 20D. I know 20D is obviously better. But my question is, will a 20D be hard to use for a beginner like me? My thinking is, i buy a 20D now and save the money and trouble of upgrading later.

Also, is there like a life span to these DSLR? like they can take x amount of shots before quality went down? And do they break down easily?? Is it expensive to fix DSLR when its out of warrantly?

Cheers,
    Ryan
    For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

wait for steve.. he's a professional photographer..

it will last you years and years.. unless your careless with it.

Comment

yup! btw, 400D comes with a twin len package and 20D is single lens. Also, i'm getting the 20D for cheap because it doesn't have warranty.
      For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

Having owned both a 350D and now a 20D, I personally would choose the 20D. IMO, the 350D (which is similiar to the 400D) is too small and plasticy and it almost feels like a toy when compared to the 20D.

There are some features of the 20D that make it the better choice in my mind, that I couldn't live without: scroll wheel, ISO3200 and slightly better noise suppression.

Take into mind that theres a rumour that Canon will most likely be releasing a newer SLR with Digic III in early next year. It makes sense because all of the newer point and shoots have just got this refresh.

The shutter count on the 20D is something very large - 100,000? I'm sure the other DSLR whores like MrThanh and fueltank can confirm They don't break down easily, especially if its been well looked after however they can be quite expensive to fix (~600 to replace a shutter mirror on a 300D)

I don't think you'd be doing yourself a disfavour by throwing yourself into the deep end with a 20D - the functionality is the same as the 400D, except the layout is slightly different and with better options
        Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

awww...Michael...don't make my change my mind about selling my 350D and upgrading so soon...

yes, get the 20D

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
            awww...Michael...don't make my change my mind about selling my 350D and upgrading so soon...

yes, get the 20D
            What's the rush Jeff! lol PMA is just around the corner and you know something good will be announced then

But yep 20D > 400D
            The most expensive is not always the best, but the best is always expensive.

Comment

You guys suck...stop making me want to change my 350...I haven't even got decent glass yet!
              Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

Haha, don't get me wrong. Theres not much difference in between the two cameras. Its like driving a lancer and an integra - the integra feels better to drive but in the end, they both get to the same destination. ...:P

The 350D is a great camera and honestly, so long as you're happy with it, who cares? The quality of the photographs that come out are mostly a direct result of the skills of the photographer anyways.

And Jeff, as NeoNode said, wait for PMA Should be well worth the wait.
                Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

20D vs 400D.
                  I'd go the 400D esp for a beginner, less dials and buttons to confuse you.

Some of the things 20D has over the 400D are
                  ISO, 1/8000 shutter, 5fps vs 3fps, PC flash connection
                  They are things that you probably would never use or can find a way around.

Actuations is not of real concern. Since the 300D canon have fixed the setup in the 350/400D. Plenty of people out there with 350Ds and over 100,000 actuations. Keep shooting until it dies.

If you need to use such a high ISO then I'd suggest you get some nice wide glass instead.

Go in to a shop and see which one feels better. If you have large hands then the 20D might be better. I've gone for the 400D + battery grip and my old school K-mount pentax lenses.
                  happyhong says:
                  aus only have 3 r
                  happyhong says:
                  civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. Spoken to Felix (felixr) yestersday and he also advise me to get the 400D for there's really not much difference in the 2.

The current situation is, the 400D package i'm getting willl be more expensive than 20D, but it comes with Twin Len. Felix reckons its better to have twin len, rather than the slight tech advantage. Plus, the brand new 20D doesn't come with warranty, which might cost me if something goes wrong. But that's also why its cheap in the first place.

But fueltank, what's actuation?? I have used a 300D and 350D before and they felt pretty good to use, so i doubt i have trouble getting comfortable.

hmm....hmm.....confusion

Comment

Actuations is how many times the shutter went click in laymans terms.
                      The most expensive is not always the best, but the best is always expensive.

Comment

Working...
                      X