Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TypeR and P-Plates

Hi there,

Been into Honda's for a while and post of OzHonda a bit. Iv had my licence 6 months and currently drive a '97 Mk3 Golf (Koni's, sway bars, brakes) and have been doing sprints, track days and hill climsb etc. My father races in Improved Production and has done some racing overseas. So we are a very motorsport based family.

I spose many think a TypeR is maybe too good for an 18 year old but I have raced karts since 10 years old, held a Cams licence sicne my 12th birthday and next year I am hoping to get a drive in a Formula Ford

Just woundering what your thoughts are about owning such a powerful and quick car at such a young age. Insurerance and cost are still a factor but after driving the DC2 at Winton im hooked.

Cheers James

Originally posted by Water Boy View Post
    Hi there,

Been into Honda's for a while and post of OzHonda a bit. Iv had my licence 6 months and currently drive a '97 Mk3 Golf (Koni's, sway bars, brakes) and have been doing sprints, track days and hill climsb etc. My father races in Improved Production and has done some racing overseas. So we are a very motorsport based family.

I spose many think a TypeR is maybe too good for an 18 year old but I have raced karts since 10 years old, held a Cams licence sicne my 12th birthday and next year I am hoping to get a drive in a Formula Ford

Just woundering what your thoughts are about owning such a powerful and quick car at such a young age. Insurerance and cost are still a factor but after driving the DC2 at Winton im hooked.

Cheers James
    Better of saving & buying a lotus

My first car (Paseo with Starlet GT transplant) was more powerful & dangerous than what my DC5 is now and i handled it fine when i was a 17 yr old with no driver experiance.

The most powerful car ive driven was an R32 with 600hp up in QLD (Friends uncles) & an Aston martin DB9 around sydney city/north Sydney area. each car had similar hp rating but the R32 was 10x's scarier to drive as it was all over the place (and i was driving on low boost setting) the Aston was an awesome car to drive that makes you feel like michaelk schumacher, it was that easy to drive fast.
    Last edited by Type S Tony; 27-10-09, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I owned my DC5R when I was 17 and I certainly did some foolish things in it, some of which ended in near disaster. I didn't come from a motorsport oriented family though, if you have track experience and have seen how quickly things can go wrong then I think you have a much better chance of being a safe and conservative driver.

DC2Rs are pretty slow anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
        I owned my DC5R when I was 17 and I certainly did some foolish things in it, some of which ended in near disaster. I didn't come from a motorsport oriented family though, if you have track experience and have seen how quickly things can go wrong then I think you have a much better chance of being a safe and conservative driver.

DC2Rs are pretty slow anyway .
        :O :P from what ive heard and experienced... dc2r are a bit quiker then dc5r ....but ur never to young to own a dc2r just dont trash it..keep it in good condition

Comment

Seems like you got your head screwed on right mate, I think you'll be fine with a Type R. It's quite timid if you want it to be and when you feel comfortable you can learn to push it.
          http://onepointeight.tumblr.com

Comment

Hi there,

Cheers James
            Welcome to Club ITR.

I would be asking your father and his motorsport buddies. Not some anonymous figures on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
              :O :P from what ive heard and experienced... dc2r are a bit quiker then dc5r ....but ur never to young to own a dc2r just dont trash it..keep it in good condition
              Relevence? The quicker car is generally the one with the better driver at the wheel.

Comment

Cheers James
                hey James,

welcome

sometimes cars are about your heart, sometimes about your head...

in my opinion, at your 'age' where you are still (according to scientists etc) developing your brain it would be risky to get into something you might not be able to handle...

that said,

i dont think a DC2R is something a driver with some experience should consider "too much"...

add this to your 'pedigree' (parent/s with affinity to tracking) and you really should be alright in most cars you can afford...

seems like a no-brainer to me!

or is there part of the story you are not telling us?
                ... retired/

Comment

Welcome James

You don't sound like the sort of person who is going to vtec down his driveway at 130km/h! Soooo i'm sure you will be right mate ;D

Insurance is obviously going to be a bit pricey but i think this is going to be standard for all 18year olds.

Originally posted by Type S Tony View Post
                  Better of saving & buying a lotus
                  I lol'ed seriously... tell the 18year old looking at a 15-20k car to save for a Lotus! A+!

Comment

Thanks for the valid points guys. Been thinking about this over the last month or so and really I dont have the $$$ to support my habbit (No not a smacky) I spose im a tipical 1st year Uni student so maybe the out laying some big bucks atm is not the best.

Come 3 or 4 years time DC2 will be cheaper, I can get brakes, cage, Motec, coilovers, sway bars the works and all will be good.

Thanks for the warm welcome to gang.

Comment

do it mate, it is a great platform to start from, particularly since you have some experience, and your intention is to have some fun on the track...

the reality at the end of the day is it isnt a stupid fast car, sure any vehicle can get you in trouble, but i wouldnt be too precious about it..

As mentioned before, the car only operates the way the driver tells it too, and you seem to be pretty switched on...

show us the pics when you get it!

Comment

yer i bought a dc2r on my red p's... good all round car...but def would look for something else... i say evo ftw =]

Comment

Evo on P plates? Nice one genius.

Comment

im assuming he wants it for track because he has his mk3 for road... theres no restrictions on track smartass

Comment

He also mentioned insurance so the car will also be street driven.

Comment

Working...
                              X