how do you tell if kms are genuine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you tell if kms are genuine?

i recently came across a ridiculously low km dc2r. however, he said he doesnt have log books.

so was just wondering if there was a way to tell if the kms have been tinkered with?

thanks in advance.

hmmm very hard to tell....maybe perhaps there is witness marks on the screws on rear of cluster ...or any signs of marks of tinkering...how many ks it got ?

Comment

58 000ks

its this one
      http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=11F585A791F0

Comment

looks bloody fresh to me dude those ks would be genuine from what i can see...the thing still looks brand new....weird he has no log books to...and i noticed it dont have genuine R matts

Comment

Like you can tell from photos...

Why would someone with a low milage Type R not have books? Because it's not a low milage Type R. So he's saying he doesn't even have servicing receipts? Why does rego expire in 2012? It may just be an error, but anyone who keeps a Type R with such low milage takes care of things. This owner seems careless on 2 counts. Buyer beware in my opinion.

Comment

as the saying goes

when in doubt.....

don't buy it
            Blaze Orange

Comment

Can't tell shit from those pics other then its a Black DC2R.
              Regular servicing is very important with these cars and if they can't prove it buy having their log books then it just goes to show how slack they are with their car.. 58k isn't ridiculously low anyway....
              Last edited by DC2R; 07-10-09, 09:00 PM.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by justinfox
              You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

IF you’re genuinely interested, who cares if it’s wound back. Get a full inspection done, including compression and leak-down. You will know how well it’s been looked after.

I’ve seen people buy “genuine” looking cars (log books, genuine mileage, owner history etc) without bothering to do such tests, only to find they’ve bought a car, which wasn’t what it seemed.

If the car is in good nick, it should not matter how many miles it has. Of course, extensive testing is going to cost you, but in the end it may be the difference between a nugget and a lemon.

Comment

It matters because 1, its false advertising, and 2 its duping someone into buying something thats it not (low km).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by justinfox
                  You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

It's also illegal to not declare an incorrect odometer reading.

Comment

I’m talking from a mechanical viewpoint, not ethical considerations.

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                        Like you can tell from photos...

Why would someone with a low milage Type R not have books? Because it's not a low milage Type R. So he's saying he doesn't even have servicing receipts? Why does rego expire in 2012? It may just be an error, but anyone who keeps a Type R with such low milage takes care of things. This owner seems careless on 2 counts. Buyer beware in my opinion.
                        and how can u tell ?

Comment

looks like a new car from the engine bay.
                          but as the above said, you had better get a extensive machanical check if you really interested

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                            and how can u tell ?
                            You can't. I was pointing out that YOU couldn't tell by looking at the photos.

Comment

Just ask where does he usually service his car?
                              If he service it at Honda dealer, you can go to any honda dealer across Australia and they should be able to check the log of the service and when..

I brought across my car from Adelaide to Victoria and when I did my service there, I saw all the logs there, date, kms, type of service and location (dealer name) since the car was bought..

if the car isn't serviced at Honda, then it might be a problem..
                              - Project R -

Comment

Working...
                              X