Windows Vista vs Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista vs Windows 7

Hey all... I'm looking at buying a laptop soon and all seem to come with Windows Vista OS... I looked up Windows 7 and its going to be released in October 22.

Just wondering if I should hold out on the laptop til Windows 7 comes pre-installed on it already? Can anyone tell me the differences, pros, and cons between the 2 Windows operating systems?

And no, I don't want a MAC and any other operating system... thanks! I'm happy and comfortable with using Windows. Currently still on XP, so don't know much about Vista.

Without going into detail because you can probably google some comparison reviews if you are really interested...

7 is going to be much more streamlined and generally better than Vista.... Its meant to be as good to use as XP, where Vista was very bloated and has some annoying features.

I would think at this point in time you should be able to get Vista laptops that will come with an upgrade on Windows 7 release or something along those lines. They dont want sales to hault in the months prior to a new OS so thats how they generally get around it.

ps. try and get one with 4gb of ram.... and no less than 2gb

Comment

Windows 7 is the same as Vista but with less bugs. Most current notebooks will be sold with the Vista until mid Oct. They should offer an upgrade disc for units made after June this year but this will need to be claimed through the manufacturer after mid Oct.

If ur a standard user, you wont notice a difference betweens Vista and Windows 7. If you didnt like how Vista was, you wont like Windows 7 either. Its like a face lift on Vista.

Main thing to look for is if the manufacturer is offering 64bit OS with the notebook.

my 2 cents.
      sigpic

Comment

i hope 7 aint anything like vista....cause vista sucks balls...but if u want a lappy now! just get one im sure they are windows 7 ready

Comment

spoke with a guy today that i was playing golf with. He works for microsoft.

Wait for 7. Its worth it in many more ways than you can appreciate. That said, i bet your computer will appreciate it.

Comment

Ive used Windows 7 RC and I use Vista Premium. Not a huge difference i understand the full version is a lot faster than Vista in both boot times and program run times. I saw a comparison with games and they found that 7 was marginal faster than vista, but not a by a great amount.
            Win 7 also is the first Windows OS which requires LESS resources to run than the previous version. It is as others have said, a facelift on VIsta and with less bugs. As for 64 bit computing, you can do that with vista and XP already, just that Windows 7 is newer and will perform better.

I dont have any problems with Vista and unless it's for business use i fail to understand how anyone could have that many issues with it.
            sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

i just spent 2.5k on a custom i7 system and got the vista home premium with the windows 7 free upgrade. seriously cant wait to get rid of this shit os,
              "are you sure you want to do what you just clicked on twice?".............................lol

Comment

Originally posted by stevan View Post
                i just spent 2.5k on a custom i7 system and got the vista home premium with the windows 7 free upgrade. seriously cant wait to get rid of this shit os,
                "are you sure you want to do what you just clicked on twice?".............................lol
                You can turn that off in the control panel. Win 7 does the same thing!

BTW, i hope you are running 64 bit with an i7 system :P
                sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

I am already running Windows 7 full version with an MSDN key. I'm not sure what your looking for, but i used Vista since it came out with no issues. Only people with old hardware and software had issues.

Windows 7 increases compatibility but TBH on a windows 7 machine, you shouldnt be using any old gear. Windows 7 is a little more "riced" with bling effects. Slightly faster but still runs on the same Vista engine so still not as fast as windows XP. Thinik of Windows 7 as a service pack for Vista.
                  sigpic

Comment

wow that sux... I thought windows 7 was a whole new OS rather than using the same engine as Vista...

Comment

7 64bit RTM is FTW!
                      Got it installed and will never go back to Vista!

Comment

For those with 64bit Operating Systems.. have you found that it has limited you in anything?
                        ClubITR | Like

Comment

As far as i know the only limitations of running a 64bit os is that some older devices might not have 64bit drivers. Shouldn't be a big deal anymore i would think.

You really want 64bit so you can take advantage of having more than 3gb of ram

Comment

Thanks
                            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                              As far as i know the only limitations of running a 64bit os is that some older devices might not have 64bit drivers. Shouldn't be a big deal anymore i would think.

You really want 64bit so you can take advantage of having more than 3gb of ram
                              Yeeeeeeees 12GB of RAM FTW

Comment

Working...
                              X