"Once upon a time" - a true Type R story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Once upon a time" - a true Type R story

In December 1995, I was in Japan, and as I had owned a few Honda motorcycles, I went out of my way to go to Honda Headquarters at Aoyama to see the latest 2 wheels on offer. I can still clearly remember walking into the showroom and being struck down with absolute awe. There, high up on a rotating podium was a magnificent looking white sports car. Yes, it was the new Integra Type R spec. 96. I remember reading the specs, 200 ps @ 8,000 rpm and a 10,000 rpm techo. I was in love. I determined in my mind I was going to own one of those Type R Hondas.

Coming back to Australia, I started saving. In 1998, I went back to Japan and purchased a second-hand spec. 96 Type R. I was in a dream, driving around Tokyo in my Type R, doing laps around Ginza, Shibuya, Shinjuku just to name a few places. Took the car up north of Tokyo on highway 4 and give it a blast to 200 kph on my way to Nikko and the mountains. A couple of days later, I was up the side of Mt Fuji. Driving in country Japan is fantastic and even better in a Type R.

Six months later, I shipped the car to Australia. Driving around Brisbane and particularly Sydney really drew out the Honda faithful. Guys would cruise up beside me in awe and ask “Is that a real Type R?” Answering them in the affirmative brought a smile to my face. I am still in love with my Type R Hondas.

What story do you have about your Type R love affair? What feature about your Type R stands out in your thinking?

That's a good story.
    Do you still have it?
    happyhong says:
    aus only have 3 r
    happyhong says:
    civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

picture yo!

Comment

Awesome story...I believe this is the gentlemen who now owns a JDM DC5R
        Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

awesome story.

but isnt the speed cut off 180km/h in Japan?
          www.steve-o.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Steve-O View Post
            awesome story.

but isnt the speed cut off 180km/h in Japan?
            Yes, it has a 180 speedo and supposively a 180 kph cut-out, but for some reason, the speed cutout activated at about an estmated 200 kph. The speedo needle was obviously past the 180 kph. I later fitted a Mugen speedo, and cutout occurred at an indicated 205 kph.

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
              That's a good story.
              Do you still have it?
              Yes, I still have my JDM DC2R

Comment

Originally posted by M a i k e r u View Post
                picture yo!
                See attachment.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Manny View Post
                  Awesome story...I believe this is the gentlemen who now owns a JDM DC5R
                  Yes, I am fortunate enough to now own a JDM DC5R as well.

Comment

nice car yo!!

pic of your jdm dc5 yo!

lol

Comment

Originally posted by M a i k e r u View Post
                      nice car yo!!

pic of your jdm dc5 yo!

lol
                      Picture of JDM DC5R attached.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Evatec; 08-10-06, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Nice! So, is the EP3 coming next to join your Type R collection
                        For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

ehehe.... that's HOT man!

Loving the mugen kit aswell

i envy you man!

Comment

Do you know how lucky you are, man love those two cars, but that DC5R looks red hot.

My history is not that good but it's ok, firstly for some reson I loved hondas since I was a kid, my first car was 92 model eg, no modes excep exhaust, than I found out about dohc vtec engines (B series) after lots of reading I decided to change, so I got myself a 4 door eg sedan automatic and I havent even drove the car I had B18C2 (from Vti-R) ready to go in, drove that for some time, had few small modes and that I just wanted a real thing the "R" so I sold the mighty civic and got myself a 00 DC2R, my next car could be R again (new civic) or maybe S2K.

Let's read some more stories, come on guys.

Comment

Wow...Evan...you are one lucky fella
                              Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

Working...
                              X