double USB lead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double USB lead?

hey guys (and girls) - this is like a double power lead for my 3G USB modem,

what is this set-up called?

can i make up my own USB lead in such a configuration?

i need a 5m long one, going from double male USB to single male mini-USB

Attached Files
    ... retired/

yeah its usually used for devices which draw more than 500ma from the usb port

wouldn't be too hard to make your own, just have to tap into the cable and find the 5v and ground line
    usually red and black as you would know

you sure you need the second port? some pc/notebooks can usually supply enough power without needing to worry about extra power

your best bet is to find a spare cable in that config, cut it in the middle
    get about 5m of cat5/6 cable and solder it together and use that as an extension since i'm pretty sure you can't get 5m lengths of the double head cable
    Last edited by vinnY; 03-10-08, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah my portable USB drive came with the same cable but I only need one so I just snipped off the extra lead LOL

Comment

vinnY - thanks mate, that is all i needed to know
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by hebe View Post
          Yeah my portable USB drive came with the same cable but I only need one so I just snipped off the extra lead LOL
          LOL!

Comment

If you already have the cable and want to make it longer, you can buy USB extenders which will most probably do what you want without the hassles of "making" your own.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DvS- View Post
              LOL!
              Well it was flapping around (which annoyed me) and I didn't need it so I just cut it off LOL

Comment

bear in mind that there seems to be a voltage drop or something with longer cables. My 2.5" USB drive doesn't like being on extension cables.
                T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

yeah theres going to be a drop either way, thats why repeaters exist
                  usually ~5m is okay though, any longer and it might cause some trouble

zakarados; he'd need two usb extension cables as i believe they don't make any extension cables for mini-usb plugs

Comment

Dont go over 5m unless you have a jumper or whatever on the cable. DSE sell 5m extension cables which help to reduce packet loss with some sort of transformer on the cable.
                    sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Working...
                    X