Porsche 911 Driving Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche 911 Driving Style

Ok am curious to many peoples oppinions.

After driving a 911, it took me by surprise at how difficult it was adapting to the vehicle.

Having an RR layout (rear engine, rear wheel drive) as opposed to my FF DC2R, it was really difficult adopting a driving style to suit the vehicle.

Obvious benefits of the RR layout are increased traction to the rear wheels. (like driving our car in revers)

Anyone else have some thoughts they wish to share?

Jeremy Clarkson described the GT2 as "Going to dinner with an axe murderer. Although it might be interesting and fun, you never know when he might chop your head off "

The one negative associated with the RR layout I believe is the pendulum effect that many enthusiasts speak of.

I would assume this makes an inferior setup to a mid engined vehicle who has the engine inside the rear axle as opposed to over it?

Both the DC2R & 911 have lift off oversteer characteristics; yet they have the complete different setup.

Any thoughts? (Im just blabbing here)
    "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

how long did you drive it for?

where did you drive it?

who was in the car whilst you were driving it?

what 911 was it?

(there have been hundreds of different types of 911's produced by Porsche since 1964)
    ... retired/

Comment

i would of thought liftoff oversteer happens to any car...

going through a corner...lift off the acc...all the weight at the front...bye bye rear.......

Done this at eastern creek...never thought lifting of the acc would let the ass out.....
      Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #005

Comment

Well they're havent really changed. RR layout im talking about here.

The typical carrera.

The new ones have dialed in a bit more of understeer to give a more user friendly softer approach. But the old ones are hard core, especially when the petrol tank at the front is empty...

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
          Well they're havent really changed. RR layout im talking about here.

The typical carrera.

The new ones have dialed in a bit more of understeer to give a more user friendly softer approach. But the old ones are hard core, especially when the petrol tank at the front is empty...
          well, it sounds like you are quite the 911 expert on then!
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
            well, it sounds like you are quite the 911 expert on then!
            Do I sense the slightest hint of sarcasm?

lol

I am a fan of the car and the unique setup with boxer engine - Yes.

Comment

I am also a fan of the 911, that is why I asked what is did in post two.

thanks for answering them with such detail*

* NB this is "sarcism"...
              ... retired/

Comment

i drove a 996 911 once but not hard and with owner as passenger
                felt very planted
                as far as i can gather in general the rr layout means its not very adjustable on the limit due to the pendulum effect. i think the good ones are very planted and can corner very quickly but you need to reduce to the right speed before the corner else it can be hairy if you try to adjust speed in corner...

but this is my educated guess... i have not driven a gt3 near the limit

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                  I am also a fan of the 911, that is why I asked what is did in post two.

thanks for answering them with such detail*

* NB this is "sarcism"...
                  Family has had a few 911's over the years. Have driven 996, 993 and new 997 Carrera S with the 3.8L.

996 was the 3.4 and prob my favourite out of them (in terms of pure driving experience)

Have usually driven them with a passenger, with the occasional drive on my own. lol

Fantastic turn in, but you have to judge the corner well.

Enter too fast - too bad. You cant back off. Have to stay comitted with the accelerator down.

If you lift off, out she comes...

Thats my experience.

Comment

see that wasnt so hard! thanks!

what about the vast difference in power? what does that feel like?

e.g. the 3.4 - what was that like in a straight line?

what about oversteer? provoked by the right foot?

have you driven a lightened version?
                    ... retired/

Comment

993 had only 2 valves per cylinder.

Even though the 996 was the 3.4, it was relatively quick, and still light.

The 997 Carrera S has more torque down low, but is also alot heavier with the PASM and electricals. More suited to a daily.

996 Vs. 997 - kinda like DC2R Vs. DC5R???

Maybe? :P

Havent driven or been in a GT3 - would love too.

Have been in a carrera 4 - The GT3/2, Carrera 4, turbo all have the stiffer chassis to cope with power & 4WD system.

Carrera 2 has the softer chassis.

New 997 turbo had AMAZING acceleration.

Did not like 5 speed auto though. (came out of the SL55 AMG)

New PDK transmission in that will be awesome.

Comment

There are many variables which give vehicles the handling characteristics that they exhibit - eg weight distribution, track widths f/r, spring/damper rates f/r, swaybar sizes, , center of gravity, polar moment of inertia (related to weight distribution - give me a sec here), tyre widths/sizes etc.

Porsche use many techniques to achieve a fairly balanced handling machine out of a chassis layout that simply seems all wrong. Porsche's engineering team has come up with a suspension tune that minimizes the snap-oversteer trait that this design has inherently, and even retaining some mild understeer tendencies.. This comes down to the factors above. The benefits of this layout are obviously traction, the 911 chassis has excellent traction.
                        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Interesting.

I agree!

Great post!

Comment

i am attracted to the cayman (not so much on looks but on layout). i am waiting for porsche to do the un-thinkable and make a Cayman RS or GT3

basically a special racey Cayman.. high revving and over 100hp/litre not just the soft engines in the current ones.. and a lsd... that would be a really really great car imo.. but they wont do it as it could end up being better than the GT3

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                              i am attracted to the cayman (not so much on looks but on layout). i am waiting for porsche to do the un-thinkable and make a Cayman RS or GT3

basically a special racey Cayman.. high revving and over 100hp/litre not just the soft engines in the current ones.. and a lsd... that would be a really really great car imo.. but they wont do it as it could end up being better than the GT3
                              Thats true. They wont do it...

Would be better than GT3...

*sigh*

Comment

Working...
                              X