Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone with Bigpond?

Hey guys,

Kinda got a slight problem with my internet connection - I'm no technical guru so I'm not exactly sure how to fix it.

Well I have a 512k connection but atm my comps running 100k... WTF.. did I hook one of the ethernet cables wrong or am I getting jipped somehow.

Very lost and confused atm lol
    sif it's a girls car
    sigpic

try this simple speed test, choose ur mirror and it will determine ur speed
    altho its not super accurate, it give u an indication of the speeds that ur "current" connection is capable of.

http://www.ozspeedtest.com/tools_speed.shtml

an alternative is if u were to log into ur router and check the "sync" speed (The speeds at which ur modem can "talk" to the exchange). From the sync speed, it will dictate ur download speed. If you believe u are not connecting at the ful 512k, just turn off ur modem, count to 10 and turn it back on. This just re-establishes a fresh connection to the exchange and hopefully connecting at ur max speed

Comment

Black_Spirit thanks heaps buddy!

Guess living around my area does play a part in connection speeds...
      sif it's a girls car
      sigpic

Comment

it says in your profile you live in Brisbane,
        I live in Brisbane too, and also have Telstra Bigpond Cable.

I'm on the unlimited plan, and here are my stats
        Your connection speed:

kbps: 4309.71
        KB/s: 538.71
        Mbps: 4.31

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_GTI View Post
          Hey guys,

Kinda got a slight problem with my internet connection - I'm no technical guru so I'm not exactly sure how to fix it.

Well I have a 512k connection but atm my comps running 100k... WTF.. did I hook one of the ethernet cables wrong or am I getting jipped somehow.

Very lost and confused atm lol

is that 100KB/s download speed? is this a recent connection or have you had it for a while?

just be aware that 512kbps downstream does not translate to 512KB/s download.
          T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
            it says in your profile you live in Brisbane,
            I live in Brisbane too, and also have Telstra Bigpond Cable.

I'm on the unlimited plan, and here are my stats
            Your connection speed:

kbps: 4309.71
            KB/s: 538.71
            Mbps: 4.31
            is that from ur router? the "kbps: 4309.71" doesn't really match the "KB/s: 538.71".

yeh, someone should set a standard in regards to the speed of the internet.. kilobits, kilobytes, megabits, megabytes... its all a pain in the ass, and gets so confusing at times!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Spirit View Post
              is that from ur router? the "kbps: 4309.71" doesn't really match the "KB/s: 538.71".

yeh, someone should set a standard in regards to the speed of the internet.. kilobits, kilobytes, megabits, megabytes... its all a pain in the ass, and gets so confusing at times!!
              4309.71 kilobits does equate to 538.7138 kilobytes though?
              The most expensive is not always the best, but the best is always expensive.

Comment

i work for telstra bigpond tech support. its sH!T anyway/heres what i can remember from work that might help ya

1- go to files.bigpond.com and download a file > Mozilla firefox and at the end, look at the transfer speed. if the average is inbetween 32-64kb/s, then you dont have a problem if you do, then continue wiht these steps

2- turn off antivirus /firewall/file sharing programs/spyware if you have any.
                remove your computer from any networks - and plug your modem straight to your comptuer..

3- go to internet explorer>tools>internet options>delete cookies
                go to internet explorer>tools>internet options>delete files (remember to tick the box that says DELETE ALL OFFLINE CONTENT)

4- turn computer and modem off - then turn modem on first. wait for the greenlights to come back on as usualy, then turn on your computer - MAKe sure you still have antivirus and so on turned off

5- unplug all equipment from your house that is connected to the telephone line and test the speed again. if the speed goes back up to what it should be, then one of your fitlers are faulty.

if its still not the speed you are supposed to be getting, then maybe you are shaped/capped - if you're sure y ou're not shaped/capped, then ring 133933, option 1 (3times) and then ask for a technician to be sent out.

CHEERS

Comment

haha! so sorry pplz with my noobness.. you guys are right, i've been looking at the wrong thing, i was actually looking at the 'mbps' speed. My bad!

zco thanks for the tips mate, i'm downloading around 70kb/s so its all good

this thread may be closed lol
                  sif it's a girls car
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X