Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf anyone?

just recently i've taken up golf..
    just wondering are there anyone on clubitr that plays golf on a regular basis.
    what clubs/club set do you use?

i play golf, but not very well, but still love it!

my goal for next 3 months is to start cracking 100 again . (i used to get high 80's when i was a teenager - but stopped playing)

my goal for next 9 months is to get between 90-100 consistently... then crack 90 again...

i just got some Precept UDM golf clubs, which are fine for how i play...

i played at Dunheved yesterday, but it was 40 degrees and very hot, and shot a shithouse 110, while my 5 mates got between 81 and 101...

have you had lessons?
    ... retired/

Comment

no i haven't had any lessons at all
      i still yet to play a round, just been at the driving range.

many people say those that play tennis usually take up golf pretty easily, and i've been playing tennis since i was 9, but it still takes a bit of concentration to make that nice shot off the tee.

i've been eyeing a set of TaylorMade r7 CGB Max

you have any suggestion on which clubs to use for someone that's wanting to have a set to last a while and would accommodate for improvement in skill?

Comment

get the best clubs you can afford. mine were $500, but some of my mates play with $2-3K sets of clubs...

but stick with non-forged ones, that have 'peripheral weighting' to widen the sweet spot.

i also did not get graphite shafts as graphite decreases accuracy (but it does improve power - which is only really needed by women and old people)

just two tips for you.
        ... retired/

Comment

great thanks for the tips!

Comment

I actually just started playing too!

Don't have my own clubs yet but my friend got a spare.. been practicing with the 9

So hard to get the posture right!

Comment

9 iron? for beginners you better stick with steel shafts.....easy to use and dun cost as much......pros will use graphite shafts but that need some skills and control as what dave mention.....but if you use them well......they are amazing........

I used to have Callerway Big Bertha back in Hk.....I have a set of MacGreger MGX in here......they are not bad....but haven't touch them for ages tho......
              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
              1)ブレーキを踏む
              2)クラッチを切る
              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                アクセルをぶかす
              4)クラッチをつなぐ
              :blah:
              インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

i use to play with my dad... and got an instructor to teach me too... its been years since ive last touched a golf stick...
                http://kingtan.com.au

Comment

the only golf i play, is the one in the shooting range.

sharkeys FTW!!

Comment

what is a sharkeys mike?
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by air23box View Post
                      9 iron? for beginners you better stick with steel shafts.....easy to use and dun cost as much......pros will use graphite shafts but that need some skills and control as what dave mention.....but if you use them well......they are amazing........

I used to have Callerway Big Bertha back in Hk.....I have a set of MacGreger MGX in here......they are not bad....but haven't touch them for ages tho......
                      what's a steel shaft ? LOL

no idea if it's 9 iron.. my friend just said "here start with this one... then slowly go down the numbers"

looked at the thing and it has number 9 on the steel part or is that iron ? LOL

Comment

an 'iron' is a club that is not a 'wood' or a 'wedge'

irons = 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

a wedge is a fancy type of iron used for specific purpose

wedge = 'sand wedge', 'pitching wedge' or 'loft wedge'

a wood is a distance club with an oversize head, previously made of wood in the past, but now made of hollow alloy

wood = 7 wood, 5 wood, 4 wood, 3 wood, 2 wood, 1 wood (also known as a 'driver')

shafts of the club can be made of steel (hollow) or graphite (solid or hollow) - steel is more stiff and doesnt twist as much, which means it is more accurate. graphite is more flexible and twists more, which means it is less accurate but more powerfull.

pros will never use graphite for irons as they can hit far enough with steel shafts and prefer accuracy.

zeth - a '9' iron is a good club to start to learn on, as it is 'lofted' (means it has a big angle on its face) and doesnt hit too far,

BTW - posture is important, but more so the 'sequence' of starting and finishing.

work from the total begining, the 'set-up', to align yourself (stance) to your target properly, then the WHOLE swing follows how well you 'set-up' was, even your follow through...

there are many books on the subject, so get a few and try combine their advice...
                        ... retired/

Comment

I don't think that steel is easier to use compared to graphite...I used to use steel when I was a kid and only last year when I went to play (work function), I was using graphite ones and it's quite good...I don't get tired that easily lol...

Comment

hehe you sure it's 9 and not a 6?

Comment

oh, and the head of the club, the bit with the number, is made of stainless steel, and like our cars wheels, can be cast or forged...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X