Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Long Emergency... Peak Oil & the total change in life as we know it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well im just about to head out and i haven't read the article yet... but from the comments and replies i dont think this will be happening in our lifetime.

*flame suit on*

Comment

Originally posted by wu` View Post
      i dont think this will be happening in our lifetime.
      lucky us eh?!!
      ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by wu` View Post
        well im just about to head out and i haven't read the article yet... but from the comments and replies i dont think this will be happening in our lifetime.

*flame suit on*
        Yeah? Think again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fo3s...eature=related
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I see you have given this more thought than I freaky. The amount of energy that goes into food production isn't something i had considered. Considering the distinct possibility that food production is going to go back to being a very human labour intensive activity if no replacement energy source is found then i think finding a job will be easy.. but finding a job near a city wont be. That does suggest that most big cities will cease to exist. Or atleast will reduce in size dramatically.

But there is a part of me that still cant accept the real harsh doomsday scenario. If man kind starts using energy 10X more efficiently than they do now (its possible i am guessing) then the existing 50 years of fossil fuel's we have left will end up lasting 500 years.

Though that conveniently excludes the emergence of China and India as HEAVY consumers.

I suspect that the real future will sit somewhere in the middle.. between one scenario where all cities collapse and billions die and people go back to living off the land in small communities and the other scenario where we just learn to adapt by becoming more and more efficient with our energy as the price of energy rises and we find new renewable sources of energy.

Given that the average family home in Australia costs over $300k you would think spending 10k on solar panels should make the average family home almost energy neutral. Then we just need some nuclear/wind/hydro to provide power in the night time. Life doesnt necessarily have to be so drastically different does it?

I look forward to not having to buy "fresh" fruit and vegetables that have come from Brazil or somewhere else 1,000,000 miles away as transport costs make transport of food too expensive. IMO this will be a good thing and will give undeveloped communities around the world more of a chance to keep their normal lives without so much influence (exploitation) from the west.

I personally intend on building a home on a fair amount of land a good 10k from a city boundary and out up some glass houses to grow my own food, keep some chickens etc etc.. Its better to be safe than sorry..

Comment

Sounds like "The day of the triffids" is coming.

I completely agree that we have to use less energy this means less "comforts". Consumerism has a lot to be reasonable for in persuading people to use energy with no regard to the consequences. It has convinced people, for example, to build new house that are much to large and require materials to be "wasted". Once the house is built it is expected that it will have make over's every 5 years!! How can you wear a dunny bowl out in 5 years? Then there's the garden....and the stuff we "have" to buy to decorate it. The result of this is items are only made to last the 5 years so now the average house hold need a new kitchen every 6 years.

These are my observations and not actual facts. Rant over
            F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post

Given that the average family home in Australia costs over $300k you would think spending 10k on solar panels should make the average family home almost energy neutral.

I personally intend on building a home on a fair amount of land a good 10k from a city boundary and out up some glass houses to grow my own food, keep some chickens etc etc.. Its better to be safe than sorry..
              It would cost about 30 k to pwer a house i belive. If you want abit of land head out west, for 500k you can get a house an 20,000 acres = big vegie patch

Comment

Article of interest relating to the topic...

What will we eat as the oil runs out?
                | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

brazil is so independent on fossil fuels, that whatever it makes is exported....why cant australia be like them and start becomin more involve with better production of ethanol....no more tortillas for you?

Comment

Sorry to dig up a thread but i have heard a bit about this DVD an thought some one may be interested in it as well.
                    http://www.kindredmedia.com.au/produ...ak_oil_dvd/4/1

Comment

Working...
                    X