Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the market for a Camera

Hey guys,

Well since theres so many photographers on this forum I thought it'd be a good place to start off asking. In a month or two i'll be looking at taking up photography as a hobbie. I was wondering what would be a good camera to start off with, also with a wide selection of lens kits.

I'm a complete noob so I wouldn't know where to start with and I have no idea about the lens numbers rarar, etc.

Cheers!

Can't go past 400D Canon. The nikon equivalent is D40X, but i was told they only have 5 focus point....

Also, you have to go and try holding all the cameras that you have interest in. Some said Nikon's camera body shape is easier to hold, some said Canon's too light...blah blah blah. End conclusion is they are pretty similar in quality. Hence it ends up with which one has the feature you liked best or which one you can operate with the most comfort.
    For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

and how well you can use it, that is the most important part. Many people think buying a fullyshick camera is going to make u great pictures. Not so, the more expensive the camera the crappier the photos for a n00b since it is much more harder to operate then a typical point and shoot.

We kinda jumped the gun and thought that you wanted DSLR camera, let us know if this is not so. Also im pretty sure there is a similar thread posted on this forum before.

Again, i would have to recommend the entry model DSLR as well thats excatly the point of the DSLR. Not only is the price cheaper, the menu wording/placement/help makes it alot easier to use then say a canon 40d/5d.
      Last edited by Jingers; 06-10-07, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I have no idea what 5 focus point is only, explanation please!

Yeh im after a DSLR camera.

I already tried a forum search for cameras and I couldnt find anything.

I've been looking at Nikon D80, Canon EOS 400D and someone mentioned an Olympus one but I cant remember the model.
        Last edited by SPL_K; 06-10-07, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Just get the canon.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by justinfox
          You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

u can start here for guides
            http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2007-05-what-camera.htm
            and if ure after a D80,i got mine here:
            http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D80-Dig...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by shah View Post
              and if ure after a D80,i got mine here:
              http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D80-Dig...QQcmdZViewItem
              far out, thats a good deal. doesnt the D80 with lens cost ~$1800 here?

Comment

First question, what's your budget?

Extry level DSLR:
                Nikon d40/d40x

Olympus E410

Canon 400D

are sufficient for someone who is a beginner and won't kill your pocket.

Canon is the must bulkiest and most range of lenses. Olympus E410 is the smallest DSLR on the market. Nikon d80 twin lense kit looks like a good buy as well but I haven't looked at what's in the kit yet since it just came in this afternoon.

Come into Harvey Norman Liverpool tomorrow and I'll show you the cameras
                CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  RRP for d80 twin lens kit = $1799
                  CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post

its because the warranty is not international...its a seller warranty...
                    Last edited by shah; 07-10-07, 12:55 AM.

Comment

yah i know that. thats the risk u take tho isnt it. personally id buy local but its still a good deal.

richyR - u said the D80 twin lense kit is new, what was the previous kit? single lense or just diff stuff?

does anyone know what sort of lifecycle nikon uses, ie when is a replacement to the D80 expected?
                      Last edited by matt; 07-10-07, 01:31 AM.

Comment

If you're on a lower budget just get a second hand 350D for about $650-$700. That should cover all your needs. If you plan to go much further with your photography then perhaps you could consider the 40D.
                        Justin Oh Wedding Photography

TYP 88 R

Comment

My budget for an entry DSLR camera would probably range anywhere up to 2k. I'll probably pop down to Harvey Norman when I'm ready to purchase instead of "camera kicking" you, Richy ahaha.

RichyR you have PM!
                          Last edited by SPL_K; 07-10-07, 04:54 AM.

Comment

K10D

Don't buy an Olympus.
                            David

'00 DC2 Integra TypeR SOLD
                            '78 SB2 Civic "Hondamatic"
                            '07 GD3 Jazz

Comment

Do your friends have DSLR's? What system are they using?

I'd say go the D80 > 400D.
                              happyhong says:
                              aus only have 3 r
                              happyhong says:
                              civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Working...
                              X