TSUNAMI warnings - Australia warned to clear beaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSUNAMI warnings - Australia warned to clear beaches

TSUNAMI warnings remain in place for Australia's east coast with residents of New South Wales and Tasmania being warned to avoid the coast and low-lying areas - and get to high ground if the tide suddenly goes out.

The Bureau of Meteorology says Queensland may experience some unusual tides but the tsunami threat appeared to have eased for the state.

Tsunami waves generated from a massive earthquake under the Pacific are expected to start hitting NSW and the weather bureau warns that small waves could be followed by larger ones over the following hour.

Three people have been reported killed by a tsunami in the Solomon Islands, which was sparked by an earthquake under the Pacific measuring 8.1 on the Richter scale.

The weather bureau said the New South Wales coastline would be affected from 10.15am (AEST) onwards, with the Sydney region "most likely" affected from 11.30 (AEST) onwards.

"Dangerous waves and currents may affect beaches, harbours and rivers for several hours from the time of impact and low-lying coastal areas could be flooded. The waves can be separated in time by between ten to sixty minutes and the first wave of the series may not be the largest," the bureau has warned.

Tasmania would be affected from 12.30pm onwards, the bureau said.

A Geoscience Australia spokeswoman said the tsunami was between 10 and 20 centimeters (four to eight inches) at the single point it was measured, posing little threat to residents in isolated areas of Australia.

"It's not a really big (threat) for the coast of Australia," she said.

Bureau of Meteorology spokesman Rob Webb said that while the tsumani sounded small, it had so far only been measured in one place and still had the potential to cause damage in the Pacific.

"It can act very differently in different locations,'' he said. "It's quite a dangerous situation that we are monitoring very closely - 8.1 is enough to generate a tsumani across the Pacific."

Emergency services advise people to leave the beaches, and ask people on boats to return to shore.

"If you see the sea go out like a very low tide then immediately go to high ground," the warnings say.

Cairns police said there were no formal evacuations being made but some residents had moved to higher ground.

“Some schools have sent children home and some of those in low lying areas have elected to evacuate themselves,” a spokesman said.

While awaiting confirmation of a tsunami Emergency Management Queensland had urged residents north of Mackay to take safety precautions and to prepare for an evacuation.

“Residents are advised to listen to radio for updates, stay away from beaches, and prepare for evacuations if advised by authorities,” an EMA statement posted on the website said.

Cairns Base Hospital has cancelled elective surgery and outpatient clinics because of the tsunami alert. A spokeswoman said all precautions were being taken in case a tsunami does affect the city.

With AFP

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21488580-2,00.html

10-20 cm high hmmmm

z10 says:
    i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
    z10 says:
    mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

The news has been rapidly passing through my work..

Worryingly though.. a colleague is off to Cook Islands on her honeymoon tonight.. let's hope everything goes ok!
      g
      [ BBU66Z ]
      g
      Girlfriend (sleeping in car): "just because i'm sleeping doesn't mean you can drive fast!"

Comment

Originally posted by noodleman View Post
        10-20 cm high hmmmm

Can be dangerous if it washes up a blue bottle or even a shark lol

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

arghhhhh.....run for your lives!!!

Comment

OMG i can't Swim!!!

Comment

thats why you run away from the water so you dont have to swim

z10 says:
              z10 says:

Comment

Originally posted by noodleman View Post
                thats why you run away from the water so you dont have to swim
                smart bastard. you get a gold star.
                T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

we didnt get this warning in Penrith

Comment

Originally posted by MrThanh View Post
                    smart bastard. you get a gold star.
                    wheres ma star nikka

z10 says:
                    z10 says:

Comment

i wonder how many ppl turn their head upside down looking at your avatar wi11iam.

Oh yeah tsunami - if it did hit Sydney hard my office would get pretty stuffed as infornt of us is a channel connecting to Parra river and behind is the big homebush bay water area - GEOGRAPHY = not my strong point! Lucky it didnt turn serious.

Comment

Working...
                      X