Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There a Quality Difference with Shooting SP vs LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is There a Quality Difference with Shooting SP vs LP?

I know in the old school analog tapes, you can see the difference when shooting SP vs LP. LP picture was really bad. In the Digital world on miniDV, there is no difference in quality between SP vs LP, just the speed of the tape, and basically playback is the only thing you need to look out for i.e. dropouts...

But in the DVD handycams, is there a difference in quality with SP vs LP or is it the same as with miniDV tapes?

I can't find the answer on the internet and was wondering if any of you guys knew if the quality of LP is lower than it is when shooting SP through a DVD handycam video recorder?

LP is actully allways lower quality than SP, its all to do with the compression on the files, think of it like compressing mp3s, LP is like a 64kbps mp3 and SP is like 128kbps mp3.

you cant tell as much with minidv because of the type of compression that it uses, where DVDhanycams use MPEG compression which is actully better than MiniDV

Comment

there will be a quality difference, but the question will you see it? if you plan to show the movie on a big screen or if you plan to do some editing, it'd be better to record in SP

Comment

Working...
      X