Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convince me to get a DC5-r

Hi All,

just sold my teg vtir and now looking at my options. I was very keen on the dc5-r, however after driving a dead stock one at a dealer i am far from impressed. I have driven an s2k and a dc2r and love the driving feel of the dc2r and s2k.

My gripes with the DC5-R was the lack of excitement from the engine, which seemed to be about as interesting as a b18a from a gsi. Handling was so-so, yet the drive was barely as enjoyable as my vtir.

I love the look of the dc5r however, the interior is not too shabby either.

Now my questions.

Those who have a dc5r...why did you buy it?
    Is it relatively easy to get a dc5r a bit more exhilarating to drive with I/H/E and a vafc tune with a decent set of coilovers?

Help me decide...

all opinions welcome!

thanks!

If you drove it and don't like it then it's not for you.
    happyhong says:
    aus only have 3 r
    happyhong says:
    civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by bungsai View Post
      I have driven an s2k and a dc2r and love the driving feel of the dc2r and s2k.
      Whats stopping you from getting either of those?
      '99 JDM CW DC2R

Comment

^ exactly what he said...

You are the one that's going to be living with it, so you need to be happy with it.

But there is one thing I know why I would buy a DC5R or DC5S...the K20 engine is just simply awsome. I'd buy it for the engine alone.

Comment

if you liked the dc2r/s2k and it gave you much thrill, then why don't you just get either of them? the dc2r is cheaper anyway... shouldnt need other people to convince you to get something that did not satisfy you much ...especially when u had driven it yourself - which serves the whole purpose of a car purchase. unless you have higher priorities/values in a car other than what it feels like when you drive it. (e.g. cosmetic wise).
          <3j

Comment

maybe because he has owned a vtir and the dc2 type r is too similar; bar the engine... ?

... so yeah must be a cosmetic thing
            Last edited by ryan_GTI; 22-02-07, 04:03 PM.
            sif it's a girls car
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bungsai View Post
              Hi All,
              Now my questions.

Those who have a dc5r...why did you buy it?
              Is it relatively easy to get a dc5r a bit more exhilarating to drive with I/H/E and a vafc tune with a decent set of coilovers?

Help me decide...

all opinions welcome!

thanks!
              I bought it cause i thought the DC2 looked quite dated, especially the interior. Enjoyable car to drive everyday even in stock form.

Coilovers make a huge difference to the feel of the car. Stock height is way to high and it is easy to induce oversteer if your into that. Add a set of zeals along with sway and strut bars and you have yourself a car that handles like a go kart providing ur using decent tyres.

I think the DC5R seems quite lame in stock form cause it is so quite. If you get I/H/E and a k-pro you should acheive 135-140kw at the wheels which is quite a large jump. But also a decent dent in ur hip pocket.

I also agree with what others have said, but see if you can find a modded dc5 and go for a drive then make up ur mind. Buying it modded will also save you a lot of cash.

Best of luck
              NA is BEST

59.4 QR Spint - Qld's Quickest DC5R

Comment

If you got the money buy a s2k
                Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #008

Comment

Where are you located? If in bris...just come for a passenger in one of the brissy boys modded dc5's and you will be sure to want one

Comment

I was so impress how lack of performance/ handeling when I had it stock....but after I/E ECU and coilovers....and a couple of other setting....it feel like a different car....unlike DC2R and S2K....they are awesome even in stock form.....but because the DC5R that we got here handle so different to the JDM one......you need to have a deep pocket to make it par compare with the other 2.....with the k20 just have so much potential to achieve more power compare to B18s.....without doing internals you can reach 150kw without problem......thats the reason for most of the DC5 owner decide to get the dc5 instead I reckon......and also the looks as well.......but either of them are great cars......you better choose one that you like when you sit in rather then what if in a yr or 2.......coz you're going to live with it for sometime......hope that helps..
                    Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                    1)ブレーキを踏む
                    2)クラッチを切る
                    3)シフトダウンしなから、
                      アクセルをぶかす
                    4)クラッチをつなぐ
                    :blah:
                    インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                    人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

yep totally up to yourself,but don`t decide it on the exterior alone!
                      Go back take another test drive floor it a bit more?
                      You obviously are on a good budget so go fo a modified one or allow for aftermarket parts.
                      You won`t be dissapointed.
                      Stock is your least choice,mine had coilovers and exhaust when i bought it,every bit helps.

Comment

Don't buy the DC5R...they suck!!!

Comment

only good thing i liked abt he dc5r is the gearbox. butttt as others have mentioned add a couple of mods and its a totally different machine.
                          LONDA

Comment

go for the S2K if you dont need to take more than 2 people.

if your looking for a ITR, then get a DC5R, once you mod it, there great, this is in comparison to my old DC2R with the same mods as my mates DC5R.

plus DC5R is newer...6-speed too.

Comment

Imo what most people said at the start is spot on.. you shouldn't need convincing when you buy a car your going to have to live with.

Having driven almost all the DC2 and Dc5. except GSI Dc2. ive actually found things in DC5 i prefer over the dc2 one was just an upgrade in interior, and much newer.. and No rattle in windows which dc2 gets quite often.

DC5 you need quite a deep pocket since well its a newer car and well aftermarket parts for it is also a tad more pricey.. and in Melbourne sometimes also harder to source.

im a bit bias since my favorite car is actually and integra vtir ^_^.. but i like the looks and feel of the dc5

the biggest thing that bugs me about the dc5 though is that in its base form it looks like a 4wd truck because its sitting up so high =P.. so you would most likely start modding it as soon as you got it just to lower it =P

seriously though matt(i think??) get the s2k if you can afford it ^_^...
                              Last edited by Wlee2; 23-02-07, 11:09 AM.
                              Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
                              some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
                              Originally posted by tinkerbell
                              if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
                              A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
                              Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

Working...
                              X