• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash / Death at US track day

Apparently one of the Loi Spec built Integras crashed. See news clip here:

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2013...-Raceway-crash

Proper safety and drive sanely guys!

This is not too far removed from what happened, but within the QLD MX5 community recently, they had one death and one very close call, both at Lakeside.

The question was raised about whether or not a harness is going to do you more harm than good if you have a high speed impact with a helmet on, and no HANS.

In the first instance, the unfortundate driver was going less than 80kmh, no HANS and the weight of the helmet broke his neck. The second guy was doing 164kmh hit a stopped car, survived but cracked a few vertebrae.

I've been wondering about that for a while and prior to getting this news, already had a helmet on the way which had been pre-drilled for HANS. Now to save up for HANS... I figured that I'm not as fit as I used to be - when you get into your 30s, you realise you're not invincible...but when you get into your 40s, you realise you're actually somewhat fragile.

Comment

That's so sad
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

It is unfortunately. Many of us keep the speed for the tracks but as the saying goes, "Sh!t happens".

Most of us think the worst thing that can happen is that we break our car. We don't think that we can seriously injure ourselves, let alone die, in a club motorsport / trackday event because "it's not door to door racing".

It's also easy to say "turn it down a notch" but in the second example I posted above, the second driver apparently hit a car that was stuck on the track.

Comment

There's so many variables for each accident, and this literally is just bad luck. Track driving is dangerous, but that's it's allure, and the immediate dangers are far outweighed by the fact enthusiasts would otherwise speed on the streets, without knowledge of a car's limits.

Very sad to see a poor girl claimed as collateral.
          Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
            This is not too far removed from what happened, but within the QLD MX5 community recently, they had one death and one very close call, both at Lakeside.

The question was raised about whether or not a harness is going to do you more harm than good if you have a high speed impact with a helmet on, and no HANS.

In the first instance, the unfortundate driver was going less than 80kmh, no HANS and the weight of the helmet broke his neck. The second guy was doing 164kmh hit a stopped car, survived but cracked a few vertebrae.

I've been wondering about that for a while and prior to getting this news, already had a helmet on the way which had been pre-drilled for HANS. Now to save up for HANS... I figured that I'm not as fit as I used to be - when you get into your 30s, you realise you're not invincible...but when you get into your 40s, you realise you're actually somewhat fragile.
            any more details regarding first incident?
            trying to understand how helmet can break neck

Comment

Well, as cordz said, a lot of variables. Not going to comment on what else happened as it's not official reports.

My guess is the weight of the helmet adds to the snapping motion you get in an accident. That said it could also happen without a helmet, and that's where a properly fitted HANS device could save you.

Best you do your own research for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                There's so many variables for each accident, and this literally is just bad luck. Track driving is dangerous, but that's it's allure, and the immediate dangers are far outweighed by the fact enthusiasts would otherwise speed on the streets, without knowledge of a car's limits.

Very sad to see a poor girl claimed as collateral.
                Completely agree cordz. That said some go to the track to speed safely, others go there to really push the limits.

Comment

Working...
                X