• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on new PC/anyone got hookups?

how's this look:

Case - SilverStone GD01 ATX Case GD01MX-B
    PSU - Antec Neo Eco 520c
    MoBo - GigaByte GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition
    RAM - 2 x Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz DDR3
    HDD - Western Digital Scorpio Blue - 320GB - 2.5" WD3200BPVT
    NW - ASUS PCE-N13 802.11 Wireless N Adapter
    TV - HauppaugeTV HVR-2210 Media Centre Kit
    ODD - Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
    O/S - Windows 7 Professional

mostly for watching HD vids and TV and simple internet usage...

want to get all the parts at around 900 dollars... I will DIY the build... anyone got a good parts hookup???

the case is a HTPC case:

... retired/

i did a search on staticice, and used all the cheapest parts, and still only got 882~ without Windows 7. This doesnt include delivery for some parts.

Comment

Depending on how set you are on the build might want to read over these: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21164 which are a few recommended computer builds atm.

staticice is good for finding the cheapest of each part but shipping can vary and then you have to buy 9 parts so finding the cheapest way to get everything you want and shipped can become complicated. good luck ;p

edit:
      I built a mini-atx htpc about 6+months ago and think i spent a fair bit under $900.
      Last edited by Time; 30-06-11, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Get a larger hard drive, if you're watching HD that space will be gone in no time. Any reason for going 2.5" over 3.5"? That case should be able to fit 3.5" and the larger capacity drives will be cheaper.

Also, maybe consider getting a discrete GPU if your playing HD movies - looks like your mobo and cpu should be able to handle it but always worth having a little headroom.

EDIT:

Whirlpool has some good suggested HTPC builds, much cheaper too: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_htpc

And looks like you can get away with on board video, even some ITX options with built in CPU can do it.
        Last edited by Jim80y; 30-06-11, 04:25 PM.
        ClubITR Team NSX Owner #001 (Berlina Black)

Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010 - Evo 9 on E85 - Sold

DC2R - Sold

Comment

sorry - should have added i already have a Seagate barracuda 1.5 TB & Samsung 1 TB for the storage... the 320 GB is only for o/s

and 2.5" = 5400rpm so is quieter... might consider a SSD but cant justify the 2x cost...

and yes, as you would have found out from the whirlpool thread, the MoBo already has ATI Radeon™ HD 4290 GPU
          ... retired/

Comment

Working...
          X