Toda MFactory Supersprint Civic - A season gone by and a Championship won

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toda MFactory Supersprint Civic - A season gone by and a Championship won

The Toda Performance / MFactory EG Civic finished the 2008 NSW Supersprint Championship season on a high, winning the round and clinching the Class 3B Championship (Even though we only needed to finish 3rd for this round), and coming in 3rd for the Type Championship. We were there to win and win we did.

We took the Class Championship by 3 points, which we were very happy with. Missing a round placed us at a seemingly disadvantaged situation till the final round, but that’s the way the point’s system works. It doesn’t highlight the extent of the win and a better indication is our achievement, which is listed below.

An interesting day at the races this weekend. We encountered a problem which saw us miss 2 runs at the best part of the day, missing on opportunities to continue the rhythm and set some really fast laps. Our tyres, which had begun the season with us were showing signs of being totally heat-cycled out, was worn, showing signs of deterioration, blue-ing out, were slippery as hell. Unfortunately, working on a budget (Yes! despite the rumours, we do budget as we have limited funds like all enthusiasts - and I dare say our budget is a lot less than some people might think. :-p ), meant that we had to make do and drive through the issues. Having fresh tyres would've been a real bonus - Perhaps this is something we should budget for next year.

Anyway, this is about celebrations, not problems and we're happy to say, thanks to a great team effort, we were able to continue to participate through the night runs and remain on top even in those runs. Special mention goes to SuperR (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73959) for going out of his way to rush a critical part down and helping to fix the issue.

To summarise our achievements for this year in the NSW Supersprint Championships:
    Round 1 - Oran Park GP - Did not contest
    Round 2 - Wakefield Park 1.10.95 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record
    Round 3 - Eastern Creek 1.51.84 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record
    Round 4 - Oran Park GP 1.22.09 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record
    Round 5 - Wakefield Park 1:09.45 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record (Again!)
    Round 6 - Eastern Creek 1:54.94 - 3rd in Class 3B - Pulled out after Gearbox Issues
    Round 7 - Oran Park GP 1.21.18 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record (Again!)
    Round 8 - Oran Park South - Event Cancelled
    Round 9 - Oran Park South 50.27 - 1st in Class 3B - Missed the class record by 0.01 second but we'll be back stronger!

We have won 6 out of 8 events, the 2 we did not win was, 1) we did not participate, 2) we had a major issue.
    We also set the class lap records in all but one of the circuits.

What drove us?
    Coming out of 2007 with a runner up place in Class 3A, we decided that we needed to make modifying meaningful. While we were not ready for IPRA, the NSW State Supersprint was a good development ground - development for both the car and driver especially considering that I only started competitive circuit driving proper in 2007.

We chose Class 3B because of the level of competition in that class for 2007 but having the 2007 3B Champion pull out after 1 round in 2008 and missing a certain black Integra Type R, there wasn't any real competition left. We knew we would beat anyone else and so for each round, the car was set just enough to keep ahead of any competition. We were right.

The Car.
    A 1/2 Cage was put in primarily for safety as we were already getting up there in terms of speed. Toda Fightex were chosen for their quality and proven record. For 2008, we went up to a B18C block. This was an engine development year for us. Despite what people say, the development of the car is no different in cost and time from the typical enthusiast that modifies their car. A key feature of our goal was for the car to be street able as well considering that I drive to and from the circuits. In fact you will find some equally comprehensive builds just looking through Ozhonda. The Toda Fightex coilovers were off the shelf items, exhaust system and gears are readily available to the enthusiast at very competitive rates (http://www.teammfactory.com). The engine built, no different from every other high powered engine application, and using quality Toda parts. Quads? Computer? well, almost every other modified car sports these items nowadays anyway. What we did not make ourselves, we used readily available off the shelf items widely used by modifiers around the world. So what was special? The combination.

The right combination, the careful planning of modifications, all derived from the vast experience of the Toda Workshop, ensured that the cost commensurate the gain. Yes, of course its costlier than a slapper installation, but we are assured of quality parts and reliability - Coupled with a very experienced, no bull engine builder and tuner. In the longer term, savings gained over having to tear down the engine every couple of months (or swap engines), or worse, for the enthusiast to live with a dud engine built in some dodgy backyard. Do it right from the beginning.

For the actual specification of the Toda Performance Engine, please contact Toda Performance Australia.

In brief, the specs are as follows:
    Engine – Darton MID Sleeved B18C2 + Ported B16A head
    Displacement - 1979cc
    Bore -85.00mm
    Stroke - 87.20mm
    CR – Less than 12.0:1
    Camshafts - TODA Racing Vtec camshafts
    Gearbox – M-Factory SPL (Full gear set + final drive + LSD)
    I/H/E - Mugen Air Box, SPL Air pipe, TODA carbon surge tank, TODA 50mm quad throttles, off shelf V2 TODA headers + 60mm M-Factory cat back
    ECU - HONDATA S300
    Pump Fuel.

A fair bit of time was definitely spent on the car to get the desired setup. Though for most rounds, the only work done on the car before each round was a quick check to make sure everything was mechanically sound. The engine rarely came out, nor did the engine get alot of Dyno time as much one might imagine from such a competitive package.

The Driver
    Me!!! Its been an interesting year for me. Winning the Class championship feels surreal even though that was what we setout to do. I am not a gun driver (as overheard from the Ozhonda/Shift day), I'm Bruce Wayne, and at night, the Batman. haha..Kidding. No, I'm not different from any other enthusiast who enjoys driving their car. There's still a lot to learn, skills to pickup, but if anyone has a question, I'm more than happy to share. A good car always helps and Toda Australia provided a reliable engine combination that helped mask a lot of driving mistakes. :-D I'm privileged to have had the opportunity to drive this engine.

So for this year, we've done the minimum to stay ahead, but there is more. Stay tuned.

Special thanks - My wife for being understanding and supportive throughout the season (And for letting me race 1 week after the birth of our baby), Toda Performance for the advice, the support, the friendship - the fantastic memories of getting the car ready at the opening of the season and keeping the car in form before each round (Also for the driving tips - Next Target, Adrian's PB of 1:48 @ Eastern Creek..LOL). MFactory for the unwavering support. Close friends at Toda who have lent their advice, encouragement and support, to the guys on Ozhonda and Clubitr who have supported and encouraged as well, and not to mention, the Dave, for being, the Dave.

Vids of the event (Watch in High Quality)
    Day Run 1 - Indecision at turn 1
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4cw22Gkwup4

Day Run 2 - An FD3S
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XAznYgvTU

Dusk Run - ITR and Evo (In the distance of course!)
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VqSQIt07aPo

Night Run 1 - Holden Torana SS
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=98TggfzjZ6k

Night Run 2 - EG Civic
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bXbsdXBVOuc
    Last edited by e240; 21-10-08, 09:13 PM.
    MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Congrats on the class win. Can't see shit in the night run videos!
    Like Cars For Hope | www.carsforhope.com.au | www.berty.com.au

Comment

congrats leo. keep it up

Comment

Thanks All!

The night run isn't that bad actually in real life, just the camera is shits, you have to watch in high quality thought.

Otherwise, try this:

http://www.vimeo.com/2015022

Comment

Caint wait to see what you are going to do next year!

Great work from YOU and the GUYS @ TODA AUSTRALIA!

Cheers Dave.. or The Dave.. as you so put it :P hehehe

BTW - VTEC y0! :P
          RWD + Boost =

Comment

Congratulations Leo & the TODA Team! yeahhh!!
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by SHIFTY View Post
              Caint wait to see what you are going to do next year!

Great work from YOU and the GUYS @ TODA AUSTRALIA!

Cheers Dave.. or The Dave.. as you so put it :P hehehe

BTW - VTEC y0! :P
              I like the sound of "The Dave", there's a nice ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                Congratulations Leo & the TODA Team! yeahhh!!
                Cheers Felix.

Comment

Congrats on the championship. Well deserved. You guys seem to got the right combo this time round. Hope you guys keep up the good work.

Will you guys stick to this motor next yr? Or are you guys considering entering some real racing in Improve Production?
                  BYP Racing & Developments
                  Built. Tuned. Driven
                  Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
                    Congrats on the championship. Well deserved. You guys seem to got the right combo this time round. Hope you guys keep up the good work.

Will you guys stick to this motor next yr? Or are you guys considering entering some real racing in Improve Production?
                    Thanks Jimmy.

Good luck with the K. I don't know about IPRA, although you're right about the real racing. I'm not sure if we can afford that.

Comment

"We chose Class 3B because of the level of competition in that class for 2007 but having the 2007 3B Champion pull out after 1 round in 2008 and missing a certain black Integra Type R, there wasn't any real competition left. We knew we would beat anyone else and so for each round, the car was set just enough to keep ahead of any competition. We were right."

That seems abit cocky isnt it Leo. Our car did give you a good run. Even tho we didnt have the powerplant (1.6l compare to a 1.95l) our laptimes at some circuit are very close.

Meh, i guess people's true colour comes out on the internet. We all know you won the championship but not of largest of margins. If there was no competition why am i only 3 points behind?
                      Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                      STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Ask any racer, any real racer.

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile,

Winning's winning.

You almost had me?

You never had me - you never had your car...

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

^ lol

congrats on the win anyway..well done.

benson, im sure people here would like to hear of your experiences in this class too (and your car), perhaps you can start a new thread?

i'm not familiar with this racing category, i wonder if there is an equivalent in SA?
                          "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
                            ^ lol

congrats on the win anyway..well done.

benson, im sure people here would like to hear of your experiences in this class too (and your car), perhaps you can start a new thread?

i'm not familiar with this racing category, i wonder if there is an equivalent in SA?
                            Sounds like a good idea
                            Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post
                              Ask any racer, any real racer.

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile,

Winning's winning.

You almost had me?

You never had me - you never had your car...
                              i wouldnt be talking Chi

STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Working...
                              X