Alignment setting on DC5S for Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alignment setting on DC5S for Track

Wondering how other DC5 owner set their car up in term of wheel alignments prior to their track outing

Here a image of the readings of my setting currently running that are yet to be tested on a track

please let me know what you guys think of it. i wish i had more camber in the front but that is the max i got using 1 paor of bolts,camber top and shortening of tie rod wit ha grinder all work done by Hesman.
    Attached Files

Sorry if this may have been discussed many time but i can;t seem to find good info on this, help me out. ^^

Comment

Looks pretty good to me but as you say more negative camber at the front would be nice. What tyres and other suspension modifications? Unless the car is set up very stiffly then I would say you will be giving the outside edge of the front tyres a very hard time.

Comment

front is currently running 8kg spring on Ohlins DFV, tires either 17x7 KU36 or 16x8 R888

Comment

Looks ok to me... Best to just give it a go and see how you feel personaly : )

You can def change camber at the front and change the toe to your liking once you test it on the track. I would personally add more camber at the front and reduce the toe on a 215 tyres. Again.. it's personal pref.

Comment

Originally posted by zeth_an View Post
            Looks ok to me... Best to just give it a go and see how you feel personaly : )

You can def change camber at the front and change the toe to your liking once you test it on the track. I would personally add more camber at the front and reduce the toe on a 215 tyres. Again.. it's personal pref.
            How much camber can you run in the front and how did you get more? The mechanic could not get anymore out of it and he had to shorten my tie rod with a grinder to get to where i am now

with 215 tyres you said reduce toe could you let me know why you pref that way ?

like to learn more about these stuff

Comment

more toe out will make it more exciting, camber is cool but toe out makes it fun... (on the track)
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                Looks pretty good to me but as you say more negative camber at the front would be nice. What tyres and other suspension modifications? Unless the car is set up very stiffly then I would say you will be giving the outside edge of the front tyres a very hard time.
                what do you mean by stiffy? i am guessing you mean the spring rates?? its currently F8 R10 is that stiff enough ??

Comment

Originally posted by edfung81 View Post
                  what do you mean by stiffy? i am guessing you mean the spring rates?? its currently F8 R10 is that stiff enough ??
                  I mean stiff as in high spring rates and thick sway bars, to limit the total roll angle of the car in a turn thus keeping the angle of the tyre to the road surface from going past perpendicular even with limited negative camber. So a car with stiff suspension should need less static negative camber in theory.

Comment

icic ...but having thicker front sway bar i think it does generate other issues such as understeering its too much compromise for someone like me to think about!!! (ie. too little knowledge)

Comment

Oh.. when I said reduce Toe is just from my personal preference : )

Just like what Tink said... for example a Toe OUT would make the car more exciting... but, for me personally, I don't like that 'exciting' feeling, and so I would reduce my toe as neutral as possible.

Best to start with something as simple as possible or in your case, just drive your car on track with current settings and see how it feels : )

Seems like you just need to figure out what kinda 'car behaviour' you'd like to have... So

Comment

i dont like the car to be more excited then my self while on the track too, it was not comfortable at all last time out on track, lots of back end movement when braking thats why i set the toe to 0 on the back this time and more rear camber hopefully it will help

Comment

Originally posted by edfung81 View Post
                          i dont like the car to be more excited then my self while on the track too, it was not comfortable at all last time out on track, lots of back end movement when braking thats why i set the toe to 0 on the back this time and more rear camber hopefully it will help
                          perhaps a slightly stiffer spring in the rear will make it more predictable and reduce understeer as well, ideally the DC5 chassis should be running twice the rates in the rear to allow good rotation. You can get away with less by using a stiffer rear sway bar or taking the front bar off entirely

Comment

i know about the awful motion ratio everyone in the US talked about on this chassis but i dont think my wife will allow me to run those rates until one day i will de-register my car and use it purely for track. i think i will give it a few track days and if i need i will order some stiffer spring from Ohlins (Eibach) or Swift later on it recommend +/- 2kg/mm so i think i can go to a 12 at the rear without my wife complaining , as for the front i like your idea Steve of taking the bar off but my only concern is our car do transfer lots weight to the front under heavy braking eg. end of the straight and the tail will lift off and fish around which i really hate! Also make it very hard to learn to do trail braking which is what i want to learn to do

Comment

^^ you can always play around with Toe/camber and damping adjustment to control the rate of weight transfer to the front and the effect of front suspension compression (toe changes) on stability. I agree with you and would be more inclined to just use a thicker rear sway bar, getting rid of that rear end instability would most certainly be of concern to me. Since you don;t want to use stiffer rates perhaps some compliance bushings and stiffer compression damping would help this??

Comment

Working...
                              X