DC2 - spring rate for track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2 - spring rate for track

hey all, i got some Tein MonoFlex last year to replace my crapped out Cusco Zero2's...

whilst the Tein's are fantastic dampening-wise, i accidentally got the JDM spec version (part:GSH48 - with 10k/6k spring rates) instead of the USDM ones that i had been researching (part:GSA00 - with 14k/8k rates)

and as a result - i am unhappy with the body roll and cornering... my Cusco's were running 12k/8k springs and the car felt more planted and less body roll (and less wallowish)

i also note that i was over a second slower at Wakefield Park (albeit on a "cold" track) with the new Tein's compared to the shagged out Cusco's...

my QUESTION: what should i do to improve track handling?

option 1: use my existing Apexi 12k springs and run: 12k/10k

option 2: buy new Tein 14k springs and run: 14k/10k

IMPORTANT - i have an adjustable rear anti-sway bar that was set on "medium" with the Cusco 12k/8k combo, so i could set it lighter if i ran the 12k/10k combo...

other DC2 Tein spring rates are:
    USDM:
    N1 - 24/18
    SRC - 22/14
    Flex - 14/8
    Basic - 8/6

JDM:
    N1 - 24/18
    SuperRacing - 24/16
    Flex - 9/4
    SS - 8/4

references:
    USDM MonoFlex

JDM MonoFlex

Other models USDM

Other models JDM
    ... retired/

Buy QUANTUM's

nah just kidding :P
    if your gonna spend the money for tein springs why not go swift springs at 14k/10k
    if it where me though i would definitely buy tein springs over apexi springs as a personal preference different technology used by different companies will absorb bumps differently. So at least you know if your buying tein springs for tein coilovers then its going to match up quite well.

Comment

what made you swap to teins dave? why not buy new zero2r's?

Comment

zero2r don't have fitment for dc2 I guess?
        Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Comment

totti - Tein MonoFlex were cheaper ($1840) + had pillow-ball upper mounts + are newer technology (cusco's have not changed anything for a decade?)

macoman - i already have a set of Apexi 12k springs so no need to pay for these, but your swift spring option seems nice (http://www.swiftsprings.com/attention.html)

i will price that up...

but ANYONE else have an practical advice?

who has run what springs ??
          ... retired/

Comment

10/6 does seem on the very lowest end of rates for a track car, especially with high grip tyres. If you think that the amount of roll you are getting is either making the car harder to drive, or compromising lateral grip because of alignment changes then definitely go to a stiffer spring. You can run your car lower too which is always desirable . If these Apex'i springs that you already have are the correct diameter and length then I would try them first, since it will only cost you the price of an alignment after you install them.

I have Swift springs on my Mugen N1s, they seem to do the job but the only way to tell if they are really any good would be to get them tested. They are quite lightweight.

If you do end up getting new springs you could try Hyperco springs LINK, a lot of USDM people seem to swear by them and a JDM friend claims they are being used more and more in Japan in place of Swift or other brands.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
              10/6 does seem on the very lowest end of rates for a track car, especially with high grip tyres. If you think that the amount of roll you are getting is either making the car harder to drive, or compromising lateral grip because of alignment changes then definitely go to a stiffer spring. You can run your car lower too which is always desirable .
              yes, my thoughts exactly... dunno why the JDM version is so lightly sprung?
              If these Apex'i springs that you already have are the correct diameter and length then I would try them first, since it will only cost you the price of an alignment after you install them.
              yes, i might save the $300 for the two 14k springs and use it on event entry fees...

If you do end up getting new springs you could try Hyperco springs LINK, a lot of USDM people seem to swear by them and a JDM friend claims they are being used more and more in Japan in place of Swift or other brands.
              nice link, thanks!
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                nice link, thanks!
                doh, i need 70mm ID in 784lb/in and 7in long...
                ... retired/

Comment

Ill test with the apexi spring. 12k/10k sounds liek a good combo.
                  BYP Racing & Developments
                  Built. Tuned. Driven
                  Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

damn!!!

the Apexi 12k spings i have are 65mm ID - i need 70mm ID...

do the BYP boys have any springs laying around??
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      damn!!!

the Apexi 12k spings i have are 65mm ID - i need 70mm ID...

do the BYP boys have any springs laying around??
                      Nah dont have any spares springs. We are currently running 12k/8k since last year and has work great.
                      BYP Racing & Developments
                      Built. Tuned. Driven
                      Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

my only experience is with zeal function xs and 12kg/mm front, 8kg/mm rear spring rates. ideally for track i would go for something harder, but i daily-drive my car so you have to compromise..
                        will the dampening rates of the shock absorber match the stiffer springs?
                        "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

Working...
                        X