Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyo R888

Hey all,

my RT 215's are pretty much finished, and im looking at tracking and drag racing in the next month whilst im on break from study...

Ive been recommended the Toyo R888's... Any views or commentary? grip levels on the street in the wet? longevity?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Zilli; 11-03-08, 09:02 AM.

Toyo R888 (gg) is probably the better all round semi slicks
    They wont have the same speed as say, Dunlop DJ03
    but the R888 last longer
    less prone to heat cycle
    Better grip in the wet than most
    less noisy than RE55S
    Heat up easier than RE55S

When you say tracking, how many laps or Km per stint are you talking about?
    Cause these overheat pretty easily over long periods of abuse. I think the intended market are autocrossers, who need grip from cold.

Comment

just the regular wakefield open day, so 10 or so laps 3 or 4 times a day every 2 or 3 months, drag racing about the same, the rest is street driving, maybe 10,000kms a year...

my RT215's saw 20,000kms, 2 track days and one drag day

Comment

Originally posted by Zilli View Post
        Hey all,

my RT 215's are pretty much finished, and im looking at tracking and drag racing in the next month whilst im on break from study...

Ive been recommended the Toyo R888's... Any views or commentary? grip levels on the street in the wet? longevity?

Thanks guys
        what is your budget?

if these are the best you can afford, get them, they are good value for money.

if you budget is higher, gor RE55s

i recently got mine in 205/50R15 for $320ea...

whereas my R888's were $250ea
        ... retired/

Comment

R888 is better on the street
          the RE55S doesnt take heat cycling that well
          but either way, I would never consider using them on the street
          should be mounted on 2nd set of rims

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
          if you budget is higher, gor RE55s

i recently got mine in 205/50R15 for $320ea...
          Hey tinkerbell
          Do you have any problems getting heat into the rears of your RE55S?
          I'm guessing SR2 compound?

Im using 225/45/17 and it takes awhile to warm up
          and near impossible on Auto-X
          The fronts are great though!

Comment

RE55s are fine on the street?

i have no problems with my rear tyres heat... front does all the work anyways...
            ... retired/

Comment

Ive been hearing alot of good things about the KUMHO V70A.
              Supposedlly shaved before you even start driving on them which actually increases grip and longevity.
              Perfectly good for track and street driving.

Thing is though i dont think many ppl know about this tyre. Sooo lets make it clubitr's secret. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                RE55s are fine on the street?

i have no problems with my rear tyres heat... front does all the work anyways...
                RE55s are fine on the street. In fact they are awesome. I think the point that lukits01 is getting at is that it is not the best use of such an expensive and fast wearing tyre .

I have no personal experience with r888 although I have used my RE55s in the wet on the road and they are fine if you drive conservatively. They may offer less than ultimate grip in the wet but I did not drive aggressively enough to find out.

@ lukits01: I have trouble getting heat into the my rear re55s (SR2 compound) but as tinkerbell says I do not worry abour it as they barely do anything anyway.

Comment

i know someone is selling a full set of R888 in 16's new never used
                  ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                    RE55s are fine on the street. In fact they are awesome. I think the point that lukits01 is getting at is that it is not the best use of such an expensive and fast wearing tyre .

I have no personal experience with r888 although I have used my RE55s in the wet on the road and they are fine if you drive conservatively. They may offer less than ultimate grip in the wet but I did not drive aggressively enough to find out.

@ lukits01: I have trouble getting heat into the my rear re55s (SR2 compound) but as tinkerbell says I do not worry abour it as they barely do anything anyway.
                    Yes, thats exactly what I mean. What a waste using them on the street.
                    sometimes Im lazy and leave them on after events, but the constant noise they make kinna reminds you that those $$$ are wearing away for nothing. eheh

I guess you guys compensate with pure skill when the rear is cold.
                    Mine tends to get away from me and snap me around before I can countersteer. Especially bad first few corners of an auto-x events. Even more scary when its a hill climb event.

Comment

werent the re55's OEM on the STI's at one satge?

Tinks, with the R888's, did you get good mielage? it is predomantly a street car, and im not planning on putting rims on different tyres, so these will also be my street tyres... what do you think about that?

Comment

i got 12'000km out of my Toyo RA1's (and only used my R888's on the track) - the R888 are a bit harder than RA1's i think, but the tread pattern is less optimal for street (larger tread blocks)...

i know Howie on here had his R888's on for ages...

maybe search for his comments?
                        ... retired/

Comment

thanks mate, i sent him a PM

Comment

OEM STI's were RE070's, MY08 STI's have changed to dunlops, i will check tomorrow for what model

Comment

i have been driving on old R888's for a long time, the R888s are a great tyre but as said do overheat quickly... also dont make the same mistake is i did and buy old stale R888's (as i bought my orange rims with old stale ones and are so much worse that a street tyre would have been faster)

i have a set of dunlop D03's in my garage with medium compound that i will be using at Bathurst for FOSC and i they are awesome as i drove my dads mx5 which is running them atm and they are worth the extra $$ over the R888s!
                              Last edited by SHIFTY; 11-03-08, 04:38 PM.
                              RWD + Boost =

Comment

Working...
                              X