No announcement yet.

Baffled Sumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the B18C sump has "little" lateral baffles too, so does the B16A one... not sure if it is identical to B18CR baffles though? i will have to check my pics at home...

here are some threads that you might pick up some more info from:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=401789

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=799928
    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
      For the type R guys, by overfilling oil level by .5. Are you running a catch can?

Run one and see how much oil it catches in one hard session of racing.
      Ive been there and done that.. "the sky is falling the sky is falling"

.. never overfill

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

what is the reasoning behind overfilling oil before a trackday?
        i always have full oil but never overfill..is it to counter for oil burnt/lost during hard driving? i monitor oil level (and temp/pressure with defi gauges) during the track day and have not found signifficant oil loss..
        would there be any disadvantage in using overfull oil regarding oil pressure abnormalities esp. vis-a-vis vtec cam control?

ps i have mugen baffled sump, purchased thru centraxauto, highly recommend this as the mugen one comes with new gasket and is much higher quality than spoon item.
        and it uses all the same stock oil pickup etc

"What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
          what is the reasoning behind overfilling oil before a trackday?
          To my understanding, the extra oil is to ensure that the pickup is always submerged when pulling side Gs, therefore reducing the chance of oil surge.

What about DC5 owners out there, anybody experienced fatal oil surge at the track? what were the circumstances?

Comment

I got pics on the mugen sump if any can help me posting them up
            ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

there are HEAPS of pics in here:

is yours the same as those Mugen sump pics?
              ... retired/

Comment

A good reason to add extra oil is if you suddenly burn through alot on a heavy track sessoin, there'll be plenty left behind and it won't ge too low.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                  there are HEAPS of pics in here:

is yours the same as those Mugen sump pics?
                  Yep the one on the left
                  ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

Originally posted by Andys View Post
                    A good reason to add extra oil is if you suddenly burn through alot on a heavy track sessoin, there'll be plenty left behind and it won't ge too low.
                    if you're burning oil, should you really be on track in the first place?

Comment

some engines can use a large quanigty of oil in a number of laps if the oil/engine get to hot.
                      the type r has this problem as many other street cars do.
                      some people run a higher engine oil level as a buffer to this problem (not just in type r's and not on the street)

if the engine oil pick-up is partially un covered under high cornering forces it can lead to engine damage or failure, equals a lot of $$$$$.

if you are going to track a car on a regular basis's it would be wise to fit a baffles sump and oil cooler

Comment

i use 10W-60 oil and this solved my "oil burning" issues...

i seriously lose NO oil at the track...

(i also run at above the top dot on the dipstick too...)

blowing one engine due to neglecting oil is once too many times...
                        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by lukits01 View Post
                          if you're burning oil, should you really be on track in the first place?
                          one person i knew who tracked his ITR alot, seriously told me:

"i know when to fill the oil back up when it stops blowing blue smoke!"

(i wonder what TypeRLC is doing these days?)
                          ... retired/

Comment

You should really be running engine oil with grades of 15-50 as well. 10-30 and 10-40 will thin itself out when the heat gets too much.
                            _______

:: Foot To The Metal :: Full On :: All of It Or None of It ::

Comment

I do'nt usually advertise oils but here i go in case someone needs a reccomendation Penrite HPR 15 which is a 15-60w semi-synthetic oil has worked well for me, not saying its the best oil available but i have been very happy since changing over to it.

I also run the level above the indicated upper max on the dipstick.

Comment

Overfilling over aint that great either....you'll burn it off. Get it to the right levels and stay there, as tinkerbell said it shouldn't burn that much oil at all.

Use a thicker grade oil when tracking, 10-50 or 10-60.
                                BYP Racing & Developments
                                Built. Tuned. Driven
                                Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Working...
                                X