Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post track day brake fluid question

Hey guys,

I think I boiled my brake fluid at the track ( shouldnt have pushed it so long at the last session)

As a result the pedal is spongy and there are some trickles of fluid that came out from the brake fluid reservoir around the lid. (and there was a trickle of fluid around the oil cover too - probably fried my oil a little too - hmmm maybe time to invest in some defi guages)

Anyway my question is that is a simple bleed of the system good enough or should I change the brake fluid?

Thanks!
    Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #002

EVO IX FOR SALE:
    http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=6115

flush and change fluid is best, a simple bleed is second best (and takes about the same time as a flush and bleed with new fluid anyways!)

but i also find the spongeyness goes away after a few days...

but if you really boiled it, replacing it is a better option if you are intending to goto more track days...
    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
      flush and change fluid is best, a simple bleed is second best (and takes about the same time as a flush and bleed with new fluid anyways!)

but i also find the spongeyness goes away after a few days...

but if you really boiled it, replacing it is a better option if you are intending to goto more track days...
      Mmmm I think I'll get it flushed and replaced then.... now to search for good brake fluid recommendations...

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

yeah, my vote has been Motul RBF600 for ages!

abt $25 per 500ml

best prices from motocycle shops, get 2 bottles - but u only really need 1.5 of them...
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
          yeah, my vote has been Motul RBF600 for ages!

abt $25 per 500ml

best prices from motocycle shops, get 2 bottles - but u only really need 1.5 of them...
          I agree RBF600 is the shit to get.
          happyhong says:
          aus only have 3 r
          happyhong says:
          civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Group buy?!

Originally posted by ChargeR
            Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

I vote for RBF 600 as well.

My brakes sometimes do the same thing after a really hard track day - pedal soft for a wihle then it hardens up. Once I didn't bleed them and they were actually fine for another track day. But every other time I have just changed the fluid.

Seems a lot of repco's are regularly stocking most of the Motul range now, rbf 600, gear 300, 300v etc. Very handy. I wonder if we could create some kind of clubitr account with Motul direct...
              http://www.worldvision.com.au http://ww.compassion.com.au

Comment

Hey funky, you talking about mallala? what time did you do in your evo? on what sort of tyres?

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                  Hey funky, you talking about mallala? what time did you do in your evo? on what sort of tyres?
                  Was stock with stock tyres....

Did a high 1:23

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

wow, so we might see you go under 1:20 with semi's and a some mods.. very nice.

Comment

man as if u didnt take my timer? then we would have proof! did u use robins gtech? how many laps did u do in a row. to boil the fluid? i wonder what your oil temp was doing?
                      how did the other evos / other cars go? any modded evos?
                      "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

i just have a question about changing to new fluid. If I'm running oem fluid and deciding to switch to motul rbf600, is a diy flush and bleed sufficient?

i suspect that a diy job means that you cant get 100% of the old oem fluid out resulting in traces of new motul fluid mixing with old.

should the changeover to new fluid type be done professionally where they have the right tools to pump out all the old fluid?
                        eckoflyte

Comment

andrew - it is very easy to do this job, just remove as much oem fluid as possible, then fill fill RBF, then bleed it out at all four wheels, making sure the resoviour doesnt run dry...

by doing this, you should end up with over 500ml of fluid being bled out, and SURELY the fluid that is left in the lines will be pretty close to pure RBF
                          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
                            man as if u didnt take my timer? then we would have proof! did u use robins gtech? how many laps did u do in a row. to boil the fluid? i wonder what your oil temp was doing?
                            how did the other evos / other cars go? any modded evos?
                            Lol I can do that 'swish the transponder infront of the timer thing after 1:19' if you want...

Yeah, thought that robin's gtech would be enough (and was a little worried someone might nick your reciever if I put it on pit wall).... stoopid thing took forever to get working - only half way in the last session did I get it working - had to reset the start/finish line and split points and adjust the settings when on the roll. Yeah so only recorded a 1:25.8 on the gtech.

I probably fried my engine oil and boiled the brake fluid on the last session - did 7-8 hard laps straight. There was trickle marks from around the oil cap and aroudn the cap on the brake fluid reservoir (oops)....

Ran that many laps as I was getting frustrated as I was put in a group with 7 EVO IXs and 2 STis - but you're probably thinking what's wrong with that - well more than half were track newbies - they didnt quite understand letting people pass - they were told not to pass in the corners (where I caught up with them) but on the corner exit & straight all the cars were on par in power so I couldnt pass them and they wouldnt slow down to let me pass... So in all sessions ended up being behind a chain of 2-3 cars most of the time Ah well.... Even a bug eye modded STi (ecu/exhaust/coilovers) with semi slicks was only doing 1:24

In my group the average time was around 1:30 according to some spectators (erk). In the fastest group (all modded with coilovers & semislicks) there were track prepped 6.5 & IX with rollcages doing 1:18-1:19s. A few other modded evos, track old school cars (didnt even recognize what they were), track S2 RX7 and modded R34 GTR were also there. Most impressive of the day was a mirage doing 1:25s - not sure what mods but at least semis/coilovers.

Anyway going to change brake fluid and change engine oil now. Waiting for sway bars as the body roll is as bad as a stock DC5R. And thinking about defi guages
                            Last edited by FunkyR; 15-03-07, 09:28 AM.

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
                              I agree RBF600 is the shit to get.
                              Yeah that....I have not changed my brake fluid (RBF600) for 2 and a half years on my Spoon+Project Mu setup...same in combination with my brake pads (gone to about 4-5 track days + normal driving to school and work)...My brake feel is still feeling pretty hard on the pedals

Comment

Working...
                              X