Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get into track racing

Hey guys,
    Iv become very interested in taking my car down to the track, however i have absolutely no clue how to go about it :/ I have 0 experience and am a self-admitted noob when it comes to track.

Where can i learn? what mods should i have on my car to ensure i dont cause any damage to it? what are some techniques i should learn? etc.

Thanks

What track environment are we talking about? Circuit, drag, auto x?

Also what car are you using?
    Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
    Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
    Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

circuit, i own a DC5 type r

sorry, shouldve clarified

Comment

Nothing necessary is needed except a healthy engine, pads, tyres and attitude.

Your learning curve will transcend any improvement from a modification for the first couple of visits.

Just try out a Circuit Club, Trackschool, or similarly organised track day.
        Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
          Nothing necessary is needed except a healthy engine, pads, tyres and attitude.

Your learning curve will transcend any improvement from a modification for the first couple of visits.

Just try out a Circuit Club, Trackschool, or similarly organised track day.
          in track days like these, am i just thrown onto the track by myself, with other cars zooming past me? or am i made aware of track etiquette, safety, driving lines etc beforehand?

Comment

Checkout the trackschool days. Perfect for beginners!
            Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by dagher23q View Post
              in track days like these, am i just thrown onto the track by myself, with other cars zooming past me? or am i made aware of track etiquette, safety, driving lines etc beforehand?
              From what I've heard they'll be perfectly accommodating of novices like you.

The fact they separate groups of drivers based on experience will put you in a group of other novices, so you won't be forced to worry about quicker drivers, but be able to concentrate on learning the track.
              Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Don't worry about modifications, worry about maintenance. Before you take your car on a track change your oil and filter, I always like to change my coolant and give the system a flush as well. Make sure your tyres your brakes and clutch are all good.
                Taking your car to a track will put a heap more stress on your car then road driving, more stress = more wear. Ask anyone that tracks and they will tell you that is your car is not 100% your track experience won't be a good one.
                Here is what I do before a track day,
                Change oil and filter
                Pull the plugs and change if required or clean and re-gap
                Drain and flush cooling sytem and replace with good condition coolant
                Check brake pad thickness and discs for damage/wear
                Check tyre condition if you are using your street tyres
                Most people will do things differently but these are the perishable items I like to make sure are 100% before you take on a track.

Sorry if it's hard to read but I wrote this on my phone.

Comment

As mentioned the best thing to do is give the car a good service before your first track day.

I would do the following:

Engine oil & filter - always use a slightly thicker oil when tracking as you need to take into consideration oil sheer rates. A full synthetic 15W50 is a good choice.

Gearbox oil - alot of people use OEM but I recommend Penrite Pro Gear 75W85

Brake fluid - This is the most over looked fluid. Regardless of when it was last changed, I would replace with some good quality high temp fluid. Again I recommend Penrite (Racing brake fluid with 310deg dry boiling point) but Motul RBF600 or AP Racing fluids are good choices.

Inspect tyres, brakes, brake hoses & all suspension arms and bushes a week before your track day so that you can organise any required parts.

Also it is good to take a spare 5L bottle of engine oil, spare coolant & brake fluid, a set of spark plugs and some basic tools (rachet, sockets, breaker bar) just in case something goes wrong.

Lastly, check your tyre pressures at the end of your session as soon as you park the car & check your fluid levels at the start of the session leading up to your session. Last thing we want to hear is that you have spun a bearing due to low oil levels or you have spun out and crashed because your tyre pressures were not even
                  Last edited by sleepingperformance; 05-01-14, 03:56 PM.
                  Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
                  Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
                  Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
                  Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Originally posted by Garage9 View Post

Sorry if it's hard to read but I wrote this on my phone.
                    great perspective of how you'd do it mate, keep it coming
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by sleepingperformance View Post
                      As mentioned the best thing to do is give the car a good service before your first track day.
                      as per usual top info, thanks!

all i can add is that applying the handbrake after a track session is bad, try to roll the car in, chock it and leave it in neutral with handbrake off...
                      ... retired/

Comment

here is some *advanced* info we prepared for competitive motorsports, some good 'novice' pointers in there too...

http://jscc.asn.au/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=48
                        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by dagher23q View Post
                          Most privately booked days will have a driver's briefing where they will thoroughly go through the do's and don'ts. Check out this FAQ on the Circuit Club website: http://circuitclub.com.au/page/faq

They conduct a morning track walk for anyone who is interested (Both first-timers and experience drivers) to see the track up close and the driver instructor will give you a few tips. At the CC days they have a driver instructor available for the whole day but I'll be honest it's a bit difficult with only one instructor and many drivers wanting his help. It's a good idea to have someone with a bit of experience sit in with you for the first few laps.
                          Like Cars For Hope | www.carsforhope.com.au | www.berty.com.au

Comment

Also - For any of the VIC guys - does anybody know how much Winton costs and how i'd go about taking some 'beginners' lessons etc?

Sort of Off Topic also - But does anyone know in melbourne where I can go have a look (even one day attend) straight line drags in Victoria?

Cheers
                            WTB : [DC5] TODA HEADERS, WHITELINE FRONT SWAY BAR, BUDDYCLUB COILOVERS N+

PM ME!

Comment

Check this for drag racing .

http://www.calderpark.com.au/events/...eet-71768.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X