Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag Racing virgin, tips?

hey guys,

I'm planning to take my car (DC5r) to eastern creek drags in a few weeks time, I've never been so i was just wondering if anyone had any tips in regards to how to launch, certain mods, shift techniques or whatever i may need to know

Thanks guys

#No more then 1/4 a tank of fuel
    #Front tire pressure 20 psi. Rear 50
    #When performing the burn out. Lock the rear tires with the hand brake. But make sure you move forward while spinning the wheel. Or all the old rubber will just stick to your tires.
    #Dont use the hand brake in the launch.
    #Launch around 5g rpm and ride the clutch
    #Shift just before the limiter. "bouncing on the limiter doesnt help"
    #Drive straight and dont slow down until your well past the line!

That should get you going. Then you can play with your front tyre pressure depending on grip and bogging, And different launching revs!
    Last edited by Karl; 01-09-13, 08:54 AM. Reason: More info
    sigpic
    128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

decided to log into to ClubITR after a long time, saw this thread and thought id update, ran 14.7 with injen CAI and extractors and catback

Comment

Originally posted by dagher23q View Post
        decided to log into to ClubITR after a long time, saw this thread and thought id update, ran 14.7 with injen CAI and extractors and catback
        Pretty good for a first timer! Well done
        > http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...894#post254894

Comment

Thank you! My two mechanic friends we're arguing about whether or not id get a better time if i learnt to double clutch? Thoughts?

Comment

Thank you! My two mechanic friends we're arguing about whether or not id get a better time if i learnt to double clutch? Thoughts?
            If you double clutch like you should and don't granny shift then you should easily achieve a 14.2

Quote:
            Originally Posted by justinfox
            You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
              If you double clutch like you should and don't granny shift then you should easily achieve a 14.2
              Hahah. But seriously, there's no need for double-clutching on a drag strip, or any type of straight line acceleration.
              Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                Hahah. But seriously, there's no need for double-clutching on a drag strip, or any type of straight line acceleration.
                how come? the point my friend made was that if i flat change, i fall out of vtec in the next gear, which is true

Comment

The DC2R doesnt have this problem. I didnt think the Dc5R did either!

Shift a little higher! just before the rev limiter! and shift fast!

If you still dropping out of vtec , lower the engagement point!
                  sigpic
                  128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

pretty sure they were just joking with you, no actual mechanic would ever think that double clutching (whatever that is) would be faster than normally changing gears...
                    ... retired/

Comment

how come? the point my friend made was that if i flat change, i fall out of vtec in the next gear, which is true
                      Lol, he doesn't own a Vtec Honda does he?
                      02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

You shouldn't be falling out of Vtec in your dc5 during straight line acceleration if your revving right to(just passed even) redline and making a quick firm relaxed gear change.
                        If you are maybe you need some more practice or maybe your clutch is slipping a bit,
                        I don't claim to be a 1/4 mile expert but i can't see how double clutching would be anything but slower
                        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Next stupid suggestion is using the handbrake while launching.
                          sigpic

Comment

LOL great thread.

Get wheel alignment---set front camber to -.5, rear doesn't matter all that much. (this is assuming you can adjust your camber)

Setup up with forward rake. (assuming you can adjust)
                            20ish psi front tyre, 40 in the back.
                            Slip the clutch on launch, don't 'drop it'.
                            Do NOT double clutch (lmao)
                            Shift just before limiter, or even just scuff it.
                            Flat shifting is good for lower et (providing you're doing it right) but pretty much terrible for you engine and drivetrain.
                            1/4 tank fuel.
                            Little burnout even if street tyres, good to get all the dirt and shit off them, plus some tyres respond well to a little bit of heat.
                            k20A DC2R

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              #No more then 1/4 a tank of fuel
                              #Front tire pressure 20 psi. Rear 50
                              #When performing the burn out. Lock the rear tires with the hand brake. But make sure you move forward while spinning the wheel. Or all the old rubber will just stick to your tires.
                              #Dont use the hand brake in the launch.
                              #Launch around 5g rpm and ride the clutch
                              #Shift just before the limiter. "bouncing on the limiter doesnt help"
                              #Drive straight and dont slow down until your well past the line!

That should get you going. Then you can play with your front tyre pressure depending on grip and bogging, And different launching revs!
                              This is actually spot on advice for first timer.
                              k20A DC2R

Comment

Working...
                              X