Cheap car for track experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap car for track experience?

Hey guys so for now I want to keep my DC5 as the daily so I am after a cheap seccond car (not quite yet maybe near the end of the year or early next year) for the track. Never been to the track but want to really get into it next year so better start the planning now so I don't rush into it.

What's a decent car to get some exprience in that won't break the bank but is still fun on the track ?

I've been suggested EG with coils and semi's but I am leaning more towards EK4 vtir.

Any feedback on differences of these 2 or any other options(preferably Honda) ?

If cheap is they key word, I'd go for the EG - I don't find EK4's "cheap", but then again that's me in my financial situation. A decent EG with coils and semi's could be had for (and I'm just throwing numbers around here) around $7000, which is just about EK4 territory.

That being said, you could have an EK4 with a b16, probably old, stock suspension, and on top of that you'd have to fork out more money for decent semi's. I don't think starting out on the track makes having an impressive lap time compulsory; until you begin getting serious, just having the opportunity to drive a car as hard as you want around a track should be rewarding enough.

Let the time attack goals come later, once you're comfortable driving around the track, lines, braking points, etc etc.

Also with an EG chasis, you can later swap a b18 or something into it, giving you more torque/power than the EK4 would provide.

Further, I'm pretty sure there's at least a 100kg difference in weight between the two chasis - factory sunroof, power windows etc. which may make the EG feel just as fun. There would also be less strain on the brakes, and fuel.

Another car I'll throw in there is an MX-5. They're great fun to drive, and aren't too pricey. They're small, light, and are driven by the rear wheels. As demonstrated in the recent mighty car mods video, they're not terribly expensive to turbo either, which is another path you could take after you get used to the track.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I would choose MX5.

however take ru dc5 there first..... u might not like the track/circuit and iamgine u go out and buy a car for your first outing...
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Alex is right, I'd take your DC5 to a track day or tag along with a friend to see whether it interests you first. To some the track is like automotive heroin and they can't stop going back, but others go a once or twice then lose interest.

That said an EK is probably a good choice (EGs are too old and beat IMO, you'll spend too much time and money on fixing broken crap), but I'd go for a CXi or GLi rather than a VTiR as they're much cheaper, you'll be more able to find one in good condition, maintenance parts will be cheaper and you'll need to invest less in consumables as the much less powerful D series motors will result in less tyre and brake wear. No need to go for a "semi-slick" tyre if you're just starting out, a decent street tyre is all you need and reduce the initial outlay and be easier to drive on the limit. Take a look at eskimo_firefighter's thread on his EK daily/track car to see how brisk and enjoyable the cars can be even with a D.

If we're being honest though EFs are best but they're all pretty beaten up now, if you could find a clean and well maintained one I'd get an ED/EF hatch.

Comment

I’d thoroughly recommend an EK1 as a cheap track car. In my opinion they’re easier to find in decent condition. I use mine as a daily/track car and it’s been through 2 track days and a hill climb already (I got mine in Feb) and hasn’t missed a beat and I plan on doing much more with it this year. Despite lacking power, believe it or not I am actually having more fun and learning more about driving in this car then I did in my old EP3 I used to have, but that’s just me.

That being said the MX-5, EG and EF/ED are awesome track cars but would be harder to find in decent condition. If you are keen on spending the money for an EK4, I’d also suggest a DC2 Vti-r. In my opinion is better value for money compared to the EK4 however both are harder to find in decent condition and with a low odometer.
          1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Mx5, just get some good street tires and pads and your good to go
            Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
            http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

I'm doin the same thing end of the year (moving to wagga so 2hrs to Winton and Wakefield). Looking at a beater mx5, s-chassis, or possibly e36 =p.

Do try the dc5 at a track though mate, I took mine stock as a rock and managed to scalp a few evos and mx5s at marulan.
              Good luck with your search, let us know how you go!

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Comment

Thanks everyone all great advice. No interest in MX-5 I am sure they are fun and great at the track but it just dosn't appeal to me. I will head to the track first and see how I feel before purchasing a seccond car for it.

I said cheap because I wasn't sure how serious I will get into track, it might just be a temporary urge that I wanted to experience. After the basic stuff is done on my DC5 I actually have decent budget for a seccond car dedicated for track if I want to get serious into it. I am in uni but I have a part time job that covers other expenses and a side business which I've been doing for 5 years and its making me decent money enough to satisfy this hobby. If I end up not liking the track I guess just sell the car and take 2 or 3 grand loss no big deal.

Leaning more towards the EK1 now as I'm very mechanically noob I'd be a bit worried about a older car like EG/EFs.

eskimo your thread is awesome if I do decide to go down similar route !

Comment

Just go out there and have fun. Don't take it too seriously and you'll enjoy it more; that's the moral of Peter's EK1 experience!

Otherwise you may end up spending "$10,000" on the car, get a decent PB of 1:52 at Winton, then say it's too slow and get a K24 swap:- missing the point completely.

Just don't forget to check your engine oil levels regardless of what car you take out there
                  Last edited by butter; 10-07-13, 07:20 PM.

Comment

It's a good plan that you have there, getting a cheap track car before heading in into this hobby. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it though! But it's a good plan that you have.

If any questions regarding my EK1, feel free to PM. Or you can check out my car diary thread.

Good luck with your decision!
                    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

My biggest piece of advise with what ever you buy.

Tires and brake pads/fluid. Max out the potential of the car. Then start to modify things maxing out each mod as you go before you move onto the next.

Learn to drive a slow car fast not drive a fast car slow. This is one of my regrets, not maxing out my b series before my kswap. 1:13 in a stock r at wakie ain't bad but lol
                      Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                      http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Originally posted by butter View Post
                        Just go out there and have fun. Don't take it too seriously and you'll enjoy it more; that's the moral of Peter's EK1 experience!

Otherwise you may end up spending "$10,000" on the car, get a decent PB of 1:52 at Winton, then say it's too slow and get a K24 swap:- missing the point completely.

Just don't forget to check your engine oil levels regardless of what car you take out there
                        Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                        It's a good plan that you have there, getting a cheap track car before heading in into this hobby. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it though! But it's a good plan that you have.

If any questions regarding my EK1, feel free to PM. Or you can check out my car diary thread.

Good luck with your decision!
                        Thanks guys yes I will just focus on fun to begin with.

Originally posted by cartoon View Post
                        My biggest piece of advise with what ever you buy.

Tires and brake pads/fluid. Max out the potential of the car. Then start to modify things maxing out each mod as you go before you move onto the next.

Learn to drive a slow car fast not drive a fast car slow. This is one of my regrets, not maxing out my b series before my kswap. 1:13 in a stock r at wakie ain't bad but lol
                        Good advice, I will need to learn how to check/replace pads and fluids.

Probably booking into those driving school's track days with my DC5 to test out the track a little.

Comment

EG VTI hatch civic is probably the best car to start off with for track
                          Lights and pretty torque for a SOHC 1.6 Vtec
                          Has a sunroof which i liked when i tracked to get some fresh air in the car when tracking especially in summer
                          As others have mentioned just suspension and tires
                          DC5R

Comment

i would stick to trying your current car for a test track day...and see if your keen

Comment

Theres the Yoko Advan/Circuit Club track day coming up next Sat, but don't think I can prepare everything before then..

Do I need anything special like fluids/tools/jacks/spare wheels or should I just rock up unprepared (just fluid chage/top up beforehand) and use OEM brake pads/road tyres and have a bit of fun without thrashing the car too much ?

Comment

Working...
                              X