Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing a Race/Rally Purpose Vehicle

Hi ClubITR Members,

As most of you know, I have recently sold off my NAB055 DC5R that was my street/track/daily car for the past 3 years since getting my license. Now I'm stepping up to importing a race purpose car. I won't be saying what it is exactly because I still want to keep it a secret but I have some questions and also discussion about going through this. Firstly I recently handed in my import application with the cheque fee ... I have submitted all supporting documents which include AASA Race License, past time attack records, Civil Drivers License and also a statement letter reasoning what I will be competing in and why am I importing this car.

The car is a full race car suited for time attack ~ has a full spot welded chasis, full roll cage, wide body kit, fia compliant seats/harness/steering wheel and other bits and pieces required to be in this "particular series".

I have been hearing that DOTARS 'wants' a CAMS Level 3 License in order to import race/rally purpose vehicles. I only have the AASA, but I have written in my statement that the events that I will be attending are only requiring AASA Race License/CAMS Level 2 Speed License as a minimum. These tracks/events include;

Honda Nationals
    Jap Nationals (Queensland Raceway)
    World Time Attack Challange (Now moved onto AASA requirements)
    Time Attack Series (Lakeside & Queensland Raceway)
    General Lakeside & Queensland Raceway Time Attack Open Spints

I would like to get your opinion about this and do you reckon I will be able to get approval ? The main this that is worrying me is the CAMS Level 3 License, but I have been doing some research and others have used an AASA License and got import approval. Also does anyone know about if you can get someone else with a CAMS L3 License to import it in and then give you the car afterwoods, if to worse case scenario they decline me (I HOPE NOT, BEEN PRAYING) ?

Many thanks!

Stephen Carroll
    QLD Co-ordinator

I can't offer any insight, the people that I know that have imported race/rally vehicles have national racing licences but good luck with it and be sure to keep us updated. Of course you can get someone else to import it on your behalf, it's no different to someone just selling a race/rally import that they've previously imported. Just make sure it's someone you trust .

Comment

I guess if you get someone else to do it, they may want some extra premiums for it. Wouldn't imagine this process to be cheap so need to squeeze every penny
      Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Yeah my budget on this is very limited ... so really don't want to be going through a agent!

Comment

positive you importing either an EK9R or NSX for track!! best of luck
          3TripleZero

Comment

Just an update, my import application got approved. This does show that it is now possible to import a Race/Rally Vehicle into Australia with just an AASA license and supporting documents to show that you have been tracking. Now just decisions on whether I want to go ahead, this isn't an easy process as few cars locally have popped up that has come to my interest. Also another thing is do I want to move on away from the Honda scene and move along to something that goes ALOT faster (ie. EVO9/10,GRB WRX STI). So this is hard deciding and got to think whats the way I want to go, also the best option too!

Comment

Keep it in the family Stephen. Nsx on the track and never look back
              Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen_AUS View Post
                Just an update, my import application got approved. This does show that it is now possible to import a Race/Rally Vehicle into Australia with just an AASA license and supporting documents to show that you have been tracking. Now just decisions on whether I want to go ahead, this isn't an easy process as few cars locally have popped up that has come to my interest. Also another thing is do I want to move on away from the Honda scene and move along to something that goes ALOT faster (ie. EVO9/10,GRB WRX STI). So this is hard deciding and got to think whats the way I want to go, also the best option too!
                Congrats on getting your application approved. If you're on a budget then I'd be wary of moving to a turbo AWD car; with more power, more mass, and more moving parts comes significantly higher cost of ownership. I considered going away from Honda with my new car, but realised that I just didn't have the budget to do it even half as well as I'd like. No doubt that FWD econoboxes have their limitations (assuming you weren't looking at a beat, NSX or S2000) and these limitations will always limit their outright potential, but other cars and layouts have negatives too.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                  Congrats on getting your application approved. If you're on a budget then I'd be wary of moving to a turbo AWD car; with more power, more mass, and more moving parts comes significantly higher cost of ownership. I considered going away from Honda with my new car, but realised that I just didn't have the budget to do it even half as well as I'd like. No doubt that FWD econoboxes have their limitations (assuming you weren't looking at a beat, NSX or S2000) and these limitations will always limit their outright potential, but other cars and layouts have negatives too.
                  Just out of curiosity, what car were you considering outside the Honda marque?
                  1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Renault Clio Sport V6 Cup.

End of discussion.

Or an NSX...
                    Last edited by 45SET; 28-06-13, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X