DC2 coilovers for track work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2 coilovers for track work

Ok now i know there are coilover threads but im after some specific information and experiances from people. Im looking into a new set up for my dc2 that will see plenty of track time.

Now im not after the most expensive set up nor am i after a "street" comfortable set up as i dont care if its harsh i dont drive daily and local support has some merit in my decision.

Im floating the idea of the koin & ground control set up as I have heard how good this can be and plenty of support from wholesale suspension here in sydney.

the good zeals are pricy and im kinda moving away from the jap gear as their tracks are stupidly smooth and we dont have the luxuary here.

So share you experiances from having coilovers on the track and would love to hear from the hardcore track guys.

Options so far

koni set up prob with ground control coilovers, helper springs, eibach springs, sperical bering top hats. This is an affordable and proven set up but im open to experiances and options.

Cheers
    Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
    http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Ive run:

cusco zero2's @ 12/8 = won 2007 NSW supersprint championship
    HKS Hypermax Gold @ 16/14 = sold due to non perch adjustment
    Tein monoflex @ 14/10 = winning 2012 NSW hilclimb championship

also on my DA6 ran Koni yellows + whiteline springs

my cuscos were bullet proof, the HKS not suitable due to nonadjustable, but handled like a train,

tein are OK but left rear shock has blown, so needs rebuild...

koni+springs were great, but this is only subjective.

my advice:

get a quality shock and make sure the shocks match the spring rates...

i have no experience with cheap coilovers, but suggest buddyclub etc are not up to tracking at a competitive level...
    Last edited by tinkerbell; 31-05-12, 09:49 PM.
    ... retired/

Comment

BYP should have good experiences to share?
      ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
        Ive run:

cusco zero2's @ 12/8 = won 2007 NSW supersprint championship
        HKS Hypermax Gold @ 16/14 = sold due to non perch adjustment
        Tein monoflex @ 14/10 = winning 2012 NSW hilclimb championship

also on my DA6 ran Koni yellows + whiteline springs

my cuscos were bullet proof, the HKS not suitable due to nonadjustable, but handled like a train,

tein are OK but left rear shock has blown, so needs rebuild...

koni+springs were great, but this is only subjective.

my advice:

get a quality shock and make sure the shocks match the spring rates...

i have no experience with cheap coilovers, but suggest buddyclub etc are not up to tracking at a competitive level...
        This guy.

Trying to credit his silverware to his suspension, come one mate, you have mad skills

Can vouch for HKS Hipermax, my friends DC2 laughed at gravity with those things at each corner. TERRIBLE RIDE though.

I run HSD HR F12k R7k.

Good compromise coil-over, being:

Damping adjustable, independent ride height adj, monotube, pillow ball top hats.

Although marketed as a 'streetable' coilover, it does transmit every line on the road to your backside, but it doesn't bother me at all, and even had a few girls fall asleep in my car (not boasting, for reference).

Rear shocks squeak.

Does fine at the track but they could be a bit more aggressive. Car still rolls a little, and the quickest time i have done on them:1:16.9 (i am a shit driver, so this shouldn;t help at all)
        Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

I got the car with n+ and don't like them. There response to adjustments in damper in not up to track work.

If I go down the koni (race) with the G/C route it will be valved to match rates.
          Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero

Comment

I don't have any experience with aftermarket stuff on double wishbone Hondas but if I were you I'd pick the spring rates you want first. That will severely narrow down your damper choices and make your life a lot easier. Once you have decided on that then just pick a shock that suits and will give you the characteristics you seek.

From what I have seen of Koni sport (including the shortened race valved version) they are reasonably heavily digressive with the adjustment predominantly being in the low speed rebound. That sounds pretty good to me for a single adjustable shock, and they are the shocks I will be using initially on my CR-X, with rates most likely of 18kg/mm at the front and 16kg/mm at the rear.

Comment

What kind of budget are you working with?

We've seen many Buddy clubs N+ dampers seizing up, there coilovers are a tad heavier then GAB SS when compared.

If you budget is less then $1500 then you cant go pass GAB SS range, spring rates 12kg front and 10kg rear. Being distributors for them in Australia, we have access to custom spring rate and re-valving of the shock to suit spring rate. So if you like a certain spring we can get it done without any problems.

Around the 3-3.5k mark Tein SRC if my pick. But then again having dual adjustment without knowledge it'll be like any average 1.5k coilover.
              BYP Racing & Developments
              Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
              STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                This guy.

Trying to credit his silverware to his suspension, come one mate,
                seriously - the most important part of going fast on the track/circuit is properly set up suspension - to be able to properly set up your suspension, you build this entirely around the 4 springs on your car.

the shocks MUST be able to support this choice (as everyone has said) and you MUST tune your suspension on the track to suit the conditions...

so the shocks have to be very good quality and readily re-valvable...
                ... retired/

Comment

i will be setting this up right including corner weights and all, i understand having to pick spring rates and my shock selection must allow custom spring rates and matched valving

budget around the 3k mark

teamGROUNDzero

Comment

Originally posted by cartoon View Post
                    i will be setting this up right including corner weights and all, i understand having to pick spring rates and my shock selection must allow custom spring rates and matched valving

budget around the 3k mark
                    so 1500 on units + 500 revalve + 500 corner weight + 500 on 3 x alignments?

or 3k on just the units themselves?
                    ... retired/

Comment

3k on units including revalve if I can. I worked out the knoi set up in my first post would be close to that

teamGROUNDzero

Comment

for just over 3k, have you considered these:

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home...hop&Itemid=133
                        ... retired/

Comment

Tinker. Didnt even know they existed. The look the goods but. Any idea how they compare to others?

teamGROUNDzero

Comment

you'd need to speak to them about your proposed set up, they'd custom build it i think...

but you would be running an amazing quality product and have no excuse not to perform well!!!
                            ... retired/

Comment

Cool mate thanks. Hope my new motor and suspension will beat my pb at wakie of 1.14 in a stock r

teamGROUNDzero

Comment

Working...
                              X