Aims of tyre pressure (semis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aims of tyre pressure (semis)

Is my aim to get the pressures the same all round when its hot?

next question... ideal semis tyre pressure (more specific ; wakie), when hot..

and what pressure is required to achieve that when cold...

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

i start my 15in Toyo R888's at 27 psi front 29psi rear COLD at wakie in the cooler months...

i personally aim for 34 psi hot f/r and adjust from there depending on circuit surface traction...
    ... retired/

Comment

I believe that "ideal" tyre pressures would depend entirely upon the suspension setup and therefore the amount of force exerted upon the tyre.

Ideal pressure for one setup may not be the same for the other.

Comment

although i understand to a point what too much pressure or too less pressure does to a cars handling

can someone just quickly list the pros and cons of both under pressure and over pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
          although i understand to a point what too much pressure or too less pressure does to a cars handling

can someone just quickly list the pros and cons of both under pressure and over pressure?

Lower tyre pressure

better grip
          more tyre wear on sides
          more sidewall flex
          top end not as good (slighty)

higher pressure
          better side wall
          better top end
          no as well in traction..
          last longer

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin...pressure.shtml

Good site

Comment

Bumping an old thread in preperation for Decembers track day (yes I know a while away)

I will be running Toyo R888's on stock DC2R sussy.

I have read that pressures depend on suspension, and Tinkerbell has advised not to go over 34PSI hot...

Is this applicable to stock suspension as well? Does it change much?

Also - would the drive down scrub them in or would you need to devote session 1 entirely to doing this?
              "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

we aim for 32 HOT for R888. We ran 38 HOT on the R888 (38 works well on RE55s) before research and they were junk. So 32-34 HOT is on the ball. As for scrubing them in, just do it on the track. Shouldnt take more then a few laps.
                BYP Racing & Developments
                Built. Tuned. Driven
                Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

I was on 32psi cold, and 37 hot..

Too much, so i ran roughly 35.

I was getting noise from the rear left, and turned out it was on 17psi for some reason..

...4dlulz.

Comment

I run 34 psi hot at all four corners on 205/55 16 RE55s with stiff coilovers. When I was on stock suspension I used to run a touch higher simply because it felt better but there was nothing I could do to stop my car riding on the outer shoulders of the tyres as I simply had too little camber and too much body roll.

It might be worth getting a friend with a tyre pyrometer to sit at the pit wall and if you do a quick pit half way through a session they can take your tyre temps and record them. That will give you a better idea of what your tyres are doing.

Comment

I think the problem is most of us arnt experienced enough to:

-Notice a problem with the cars performance,
                      -Realise it is due to the tyre pressures and not suspension settings etc
                      -Rectify that problem by either increasing or decreasing those pressures (or suspension for that matter).

Comment

Here's a good article on tyre pressures that pretty much summaries the previous link into a page.

http://wp.circuitclub.com.au/wp-cont...uit/Issue7.pdf
                        Last edited by FunkyR; 27-10-08, 11:03 PM.
                        Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #002

EVO IX FOR SALE:
                        http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=6115

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                          I think the problem is most of us arnt experienced enough to:

-Notice a problem with the cars performance,
                          -Realise it is due to the tyre pressures and not suspension settings etc
                          -Rectify that problem by either increasing or decreasing those pressures (or suspension for that matter).
                          I agree. I only have a vague idea of what I am doing when I set my pressures, which is why it is nice to have some temperature data to back up your driving impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
                            Also - would the drive down scrub them in or would you need to devote session 1 entirely to doing this?
                            i have de-mouldreleased tyres on the way to wakie... but still needs a session before they are at their best...

build them (and yourself!) up gradually to speed and you will be happy and comfortable...
                            ... retired/

Comment

when i bought my semis i spoke to the tyre tech he said 36 hot max temp , start off with 32 do a run and reset pressures. i found that camber was an issue , tyre would wear outside edge with stock suspension. i used to run 38-40 hot but could feel tyre sliding across track , car felt nervous , car running 34-36 so much more grip less understeer. i would run my semi on the road to and from track days that would scrub them nicely and you would cycle some temp through tyres.

Comment

Working...
                              X