Trackday Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trackday Q&A

Well with Honda Nationals fast on the way i thought this would be a great place to have some questions answered..

Please feel free to post up ur advice/questions/answers in this thread.

I will start this with a couple of Q's that others (+myself) maybe interested in

Q1: using 235/45/17, what Psi should i use?? will this need to be adjusted during the day as the temp/track heats up??

Q2: What camber setting would best work?? is more camber better or is there a balance to look for?

CITR is full of wise people... im sure people will have Q&A's

good idea

how do i take off hot nuts i dont want to waste track time waiting for them to cool?

aftermarket studs?

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
      Well with Honda Nationals fast on the way i thought this would be a great place to have some questions answered..

Please feel free to post up ur advice/questions/answers in this thread.

I will start this with a couple of Q's that others (+myself) maybe interested in

Q1: using 235/45/17, what Psi should i use?? will this need to be adjusted during the day as the temp/track heats up??

Q2: What camber setting would best work?? is more camber better or is there a balance to look for?

CITR is full of wise people... im sure people will have Q&A's
      Hey Timmy,

There's no right psi to use nor correct camber angles. It's all relative to the car setup you have, but I can give you some pieces of advice.

With street tyres, you generally want to aim for high 30 psi (37-38 perhaps) when HOT (i.e. straight into the sheds and take pressures as soon as you can - check all 4 and see how pressure varies) due to the less stiff sidewalls of street tyres. It's also worth looking at how the tyre wears and whether the most area available for road contact is being used. The track will get slightly warmer during the day so it's a good idea to keep a regular check on pressures and maybe drop them slightly during the day. Aim for about the same hot psi.

Camber angles are also relative. Speak to those who've run similar setups to see what camber they were running. Camber is good for maintaining good tyre contact in corners, excessive camber will wear the inside of the tyre too much and you'll chew through them too fast. Plus, you'll lose a bit of top end speed.
      Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
      Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
      Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

thanks
        Thinking of this,
        Runing 2deg rear camber
        Front as natural

I will be using semi's on the track. Will this affect the psi i should run??
        Last edited by Timmy_B; 30-08-11, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Probably work on adjusting your front camber so it's even and leaving your rear natural if you have to? Or adjusting both?

Comment

Semi slicks have stiffer sidewalls so you can run lower pressures. 30psi is a good place to start.
            Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
            Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
            Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post

Runing 2deg rear camber
              Front as natural
              I'd recommend you the other way around
              Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Comment

All good advice above! Timmy_B if you have the freedom to change it I would add as much negative camber at the front as you can. At the very least it will save the outer shoulders of your semi slicks, and it is hard to have too much static camber on the front of a DC5.

Originally posted by l__i__l View Post
                good idea

how do i take off hot nuts i dont want to waste track time waiting for them to cool?

aftermarket studs?
                Why do you need to take your wheels off hot? On a related note I always torque my wheel nuts cold and can't understand people that do them hot after a session. If your nuts are loosening off then there is another problem, repeatedly tightening them hot isn't going to help.

Comment

midway through the day i like to rotate the wheels..in time for the next session......after leaving them to cool i dont have enough time to the get wheels on and end up missing my turn

too scared to take them off hot feels like the studs'll snap off!

maybe ima slow wheel changer

Comment

Originally posted by l__i__l View Post
                    midway through the day i like to rotate the wheels..in time for the next session......after leaving them to cool i dont have enough time to the get wheels on and end up missing my turn

too scared to take them off hot feels like the studs'll snap off!

maybe ima slow wheel changer
                    Ah okay, didn't think of that since my front wheels don't fit the back . Umm maybe just drive around a bit after the session to cool them, and then lightly mist them with water from a spray bottle and point a fan at them? As long as you don't soak them with water it shouldn't do any harm to anything.

Comment

thanks for all the help.
                      Tom im not using front camber bolts or camber plates.
                      Should i invest in camber bolts??
                      Tyre i am using is a dunlop Direzza D03G

Comment

With the same tyre size, i ran 32 psi hot all round.
                        So, about 27 for the fronts and 28 for the rears cold.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonS View Post
                          With the same tyre size, i ran 32 psi hot all round.
                          So, about 27 for the fronts and 28 for the rears cold.
                          Edy you were using A050?

I found that I have to pump a bit more for the R888 like 34-36 hot

but for A050 I run alot less psi hot
                          Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Comment

Working...
                          X