RE11 - 1st impressions on DC2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE11 - 1st impressions on DC2R

Just a 1st impression not a full review.

Posted this on ozhonda on the weekend, thought it will be of interest to some of you.

Running a set of RE11 on our dc2r atm, on loan from a fren who has an EK. Car has stock suspension set up apart from 25mm rear Cusco sway bar, tyre pressure is 32psi cold all round.

195/55R15 is the correct size for both our cars, but only 195/50R15 avail at the time from tirerack usa so 50 it was.

Basically the big brother of RE001, with a similar pattern theme with much chunckier tread blocks, more rigid sidewall with much less regard to ride comfort and noise than the RE001. It reminds me a lot of the old RE711 they used to sell in Aust in the early 2000s, which was superceded by the RE-01, then RE01R and then the RE11 more recently ( 1.5 years ago? ).

Grip was much better than the S drives we had on the car which was no surprise being a very mediocre tyre in terms of grip though noise, comfort and rolling resistance are very good and better than most tyres in those depts. Turn in is sharp and responsive without being nervous and progressive. The back end of car is more planted than before when trail braking into tight corners.

The RE11 rides firm similar to the Dunlop Z1, and the chucky tread blocks make clattery noises, but no annoying whine or droning harmonics at speed, cruising on street or under braking.

Being a midway tyre between high performance road tyre and semi slicks, its philosophy is very similar to the likes of Z1, AD07/08 and KU36. Compound is softer than Z1 though which would make it more bearable on the street before the tyre has a chance to warm up at the expense of durability and feel at the track. Having seen a VE HDT with 19s at the track on OE RE11 after a few hot laps, they certainly look a lot more stressed and grained than Z1 on a heavy car I've seen before after a few hot laps. Since these tyres arent mine I wont be abusing them on the track till I get a set of our own.

For those who intend to track their cars a lot and intend to have only one set of tyres I Z1 would be the better choice esp you ll get more consistent laps after warm up whereas these ones would start to go off after a few laps and only gets slower by few tenths every lap after. For short sprints/autokhanas the RE11 would be better. Being asymmetrical also means not able to flip tyres L to R when shoulders are worn. These shoulders are a tad more rounded than the the Z1.

No idea how the perform in the wet yet, not expecting any rainy day in Perth any time soon.

As I have an eg that I track a lot, and the dc2r would do the occasional autocross tuning day or casual autokhana event and driven as a daily throughout the year we'll be getting a set of 16" re11 in 205 45 16 from tirerack next year to suit some rims we bought a while back. Will write a detailed review then.

Bridgestone Aust do bring in the RE11 in very selected big sizes ie 18" and 19", the local b/stone motorsport dealer in Perth - Tyreways told me that and I've seen them on their shelves also.

In the latest issue of Motor Mag au ( Jan 2011 issue ) where they had a tyre test this mth it mentioned the RE001 is about to be superceded. Not sure if that meant a new version or RE001 or this RE11.

Wish B/stone au would bring in the the RE11 as part of their range to compliment the RE001 range, esp they used to sell its predecessor the RE710, then RE711 before replacing them with the inferior GIII and bringing in the RE01/01R as $$$ motorsport tyres. To give you guys an idea we are getting the short straw here, I was in driving in HK early this year and saw a bus with RE11 ad on it ie the whole double decker bus vinyl wrapped in it so it is a mid priced volume tyre for the masses for the hk market for local casual street racers ( serious ones run supersoft Advan A050 and Dunlop D03g's ) and van drivers there.

[/URL]
    Last edited by EG30; 15-12-10, 12:02 AM.
    Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

how much per tyre they retail for

Comment

I think another variable in selecting a street tire is depends on how much camber u want. Becausr i run a decent amount of camber, i will be going for non directional tires so o can switch them around as i please.
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

I think another variable in selecting a street tire is depends on how much camber u want. Becausr i run a decent amount of camber, i will be going for non directional tires so o can switch them around as i please.
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

great review!

pity your coudl nto give them a good wringing

Originally posted by EG30 View Post
          It reminds me a lot of the old RE711 they used to sell in Aust in the early 2000s, which was superceded by the RE-01, then RE01R and then the RE11 more recently ( 1.5 years ago? ).
          i recall the old RE71 - always worshipped this tyre as it was standard on the 959 lol!

we'll be getting a set of 16" re11 in 205 45 16 from tirerack next year to suit some rims we bought a while back. Will write a detailed review then.
          considered these for my teg, but at 160 vs 110 for the Z1's i just could not believe that they were that much better than the Z1's (which i had already gone through a set)

plus the tread wear rating was lower, so i guessed i would be getting much less than the 10'000km i got out of the Z1's (however, i am quite dubious of the Z1 treadwear rating, as i previously got a similar 10'000km out of set of D01J semis on the street...)
          ... retired/

Comment

I have these Tyres on my S2000 (255/40/17).

Firstly, your comment about the tyres being Asymetrical "also means not able to flip tyres L to R when shoulders are worn" is incorrect. the tyres are not directional and can be rotated, they, like the RE001 are "inside / outside" tyres.

I can comment about how these tyres perform in the wet, as we had crazy rains recently here in Sydney, and i can sum it up in 1 word: PHENOMINAL!

My preveous tyres were the RE001, then KU36, and i can tell you the difference is night and day. The previous tyres would give me all kinds of issues with traction and cornering, to the point i babied the car during rainy drives. Never pushed it and used a higher gear to ensure no slip. With the RE11, i am given a tremendous amount of confidence in the wet. I am able to drive the car as if i am driving with RE001 in the dry.
            "Success is 99% Failure"
            Soichiro Honda.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Ad- View Post
              I have these Tyres on my S2000 (255/40/17).

Firstly, your comment about the tyres being Asymetrical "also means not able to flip tyres L to R when shoulders are worn" is incorrect. the tyres are not directional and can be rotated, they, like the RE001 are "inside / outside" tyres.

I can comment about how these tyres perform in the wet, as we had crazy rains recently here in Sydney, and i can sum it up in 1 word: PHENOMINAL!

My preveous tyres were the RE001, then KU36, and i can tell you the difference is night and day. The previous tyres would give me all kinds of issues with traction and cornering, to the point i babied the car during rainy drives. Never pushed it and used a higher gear to ensure no slip. With the RE11, i am given a tremendous amount of confidence in the wet. I am able to drive the car as if i am driving with RE001 in the dry.
              Glad you like them on your s2000 Ad, great to hear they are great in the wet also.

When I said they can't be flipped, I meant they cant be swapped L to R off the rims ie if they wear too much on the inside due to camber swaping them L to R with the rims would mean the worn inside would still be on the inside after swapping.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                great review!

pity your coudl nto give them a good wringing

i recall the old RE71 - always worshipped this tyre as it was standard on the 959 lol!

considered these for my teg, but at 160 vs 110 for the Z1's i just could not believe that they were that much better than the Z1's (which i had already gone through a set)

plus the tread wear rating was lower, so i guessed i would be getting much less than the 10'000km i got out of the Z1's (however, i am quite dubious of the Z1 treadwear rating, as i previously got a similar 10'000km out of set of D01J semis on the street...)
                Would have like to punt them around the track on a tuning day but being not my tyres I dont want to stretch the friendship too much lol. Only managed to take 90 deg turns at the speed limit of 60 km/h and roundabouts of the same speed to get an idea what they are like and so far very well planted front and rear.

Loved the RE71's back in the late 80s early 90s, had a 13" set of those in my old e21 3 series which transformed the car. Gez tinkerbell if you could remember those tyres you must be close to 40 y.o. by now like me. Back in the days the RE71 and AVS intermediate ruled the roost in that sector of market. Made my trackday debut in 1993 in a borrowed set of RE71 15" on my E30 323i and they held up great and forgiving for a novice, and bought a set of S01, then S02 for the same car which they made new breakthrough with each generation with lesser tyre manufacturers copying their tread patterns.

I know a few guys who expected the Z1 to last lot longer too being quite a hard compound. Would be interesting to see how the RE11 wears on street and track regardless of the treadwear rating due to the variations of how different manufacturers rate their tyres. Bought a set of RE711 for a E30 325i I used to own and that set lasted 98,000kms despite driven around corners hard at times and treadwear rating of only 140. I guess a well balanced rwd platform, 8mm of tread of new and being a grippy compound with solid tread blocks with minimal slip helps too. I find the GIII has similar wear characteristics also.

bought tyres in 2002/3, tyres worn on inner edges with the rest very close to tread bars in Apr2010. Amazing thing is the tyre still plenty soft ie 68 on durometer same as fresh re001 and 72 on outer blocks. Plenty grippy too in the dry but in damp conditions they pushed wide early. When they came out they were one of the 1st b/stone tyres to have "donuts" tech which is now std feature ie softer rubber deep down so as tyre wears down it's still grippy. At the time I thought it was a nice concept but prob marketing BS but the concept actually works! Most aged econo tyres I've tested gives a duro reading of 78-82.

I plan to get a set of 195/50R15 Z1 for my eg for street and track tuning day next year to replace the current KU31 which held up surprisingly well ( coped better under abuse than RE001 ) at the track for a cheap middle of road performance tyres. It'll be interesting to see if the Z1 wears any worse than the KU31's. At the moment my A050 M track tyres wears extremely fast ( 2x-2.5x faster than R888 depending on track temp ) hence I cant afford more than a few laps on track tuning days and my street KU31 goes greasy after 1-2 hard laps.
                Last edited by EG30; 15-12-10, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Nice report. As I don't have the background experience over time and am still learning how to drive hard these types of reviews are valuable both for the information itself and the background of experience.

Love to have more of this type of discussion

Comment

Nice report, loved your english!
                    Moiz
                    無限 teamgroundzero 無限

Comment

how do you think the Z1 and RE11 will compare to the R888 in raw pace, Tsung?
                      Last edited by lukits01; 16-12-10, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lukits01 View Post
                        how do you think the Z1 and RE11 will compare to the R888 in raw pace, Tsung?
                        R888 still be at least 1sec faster per lap easy, and lot more consistent over few laps with less groove and an track tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by EG30 View Post
                          R888 still be at least 1sec faster per lap easy, and lot more consistent over few laps with less groove and an track tyre.
                          fair enough, was just thinking the R888 is not exactly the fastest track tire. With a treadwear of "only" 100 its not that far off from these latest gen of high performance street tires.

Comment

Working...
                          X