DC2R 5th Gear Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R 5th Gear Issue

Hey guys, the other day I was driving and like I do sometimes I shifted from 3rd gear straight to 5th. I always double clutch when doing this type of shift as well. The gear crunched going in to 5th, I was positive I had the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, so I tried it a few more times and I got the same results. Crunch,

Now putting the car in to the 5th gear position feels a lot different then normal.

I change the gear oil with OEM every 20,000km and it is due for its 100,000km service in January.

I'm worried there is something fucked in there.. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinfox
    You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Probably the synchro (sold as a 5th / reverse set) - usually about $300ish for the parts.

Skipping gears is never really a great idea - even if you double clutch the shift you still would need to rev-match the shift properly to avoid premature wear on the synchro.
    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
      Probably the synchro (sold as a 5th / reverse set) - usually about $300ish for the parts.

Skipping gears is never really a great idea - even if you double clutch the shift you still would need to rev-match the shift properly to avoid premature wear on the synchro.
      Thanks for the reply freakygeek, what you say makes sense about the crunching.

Btw, I always rev match every time I double clutch..

Quote:
      You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

Comment

The synchro is actually cheap... its the other hard parts (sleeve / hub / gear parts) that cost $200 each ...

Go to Synchrotech transmissions --- I found them well priced and good product. Get the carbon lined synchros..

May as well do all of them... And the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by ewendc2r View Post
          The synchro is actually cheap... its the other hard parts (sleeve / hub / gear parts) that cost $200 each ...

Go to Synchrotech transmissions --- I found them well priced and good product. Get the carbon lined synchros..

May as well do all of them... And the bearings.
          Fark, sounds pretty hardcore, how much all up to do all of them?

I was just going to put OEM back in?

Quote:

Comment

Well lots to replace EVERYTHING but normally only some parts need replacing.. If synchro wears, you can damage the hard parts by not addressing the problem early on, which gets expensive... Sleeve + 2/3 gear is around $450 already and thats the usual problem...

I spent around $1000 on hard parts and synchros, bearings & seals.. If you are handy, do it yourself, its not that hard and you will learn along the way. If you can't get it back together, most gearbox shops will charge around $250-$300. Take photos as you pull it apart, makes putting back much easier!

I used synchrotech to get my parts.

Comment

The synchros themselves are like $100 for a set I think... but while you've got it apart, may as well address any other potential drama.

Comment

I changed the gearbox oil with OEM fluid and the crunch is gone and shifts between all gears is improved.

Mind you the oil hadn't been changed in 20,000km (4 years) even though honda recommend changing every 40,000km.

Perhaps i'll do it every 10,000km (2 years).
                Last edited by DC2R; 04-07-11, 04:21 PM.

Quote:

Comment

Adding to this thread. Having my engine mounts replaced was the main issue here that actually fixed the problem. My main mount that holds the engine/gearbox was floating around down there. Problem solved.

Quote:

Comment

ahhh, the good old 100'000km part!

it should be listed on the DC2 service schedule:

"100'000km - replace rear engine mount"
                    ... retired/

Comment

Your issue seems to be the Synchro as mentioned earlier, I am a dealer for Synchrotech transmissions here in Sydney so if you need some help feel free to pm me

Follow us on Facebook

Visit our new website

Comment

JDMaccessories - please see rule number 2 of the ClubITR forums:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/faq.php?...aq_forum_rules

if you would like to consider becoming a vendor - see here: http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=341

and please contact the site owner: felixR

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/member.php?u=6
                        ... retired/

Comment

Thanks for the info tinker I'll be sure to pm felix now

Kind regards

Marcus
                          Last edited by JDMaccessories; 02-03-12, 04:21 PM.

Follow us on Facebook

Visit our new website

Comment

Thanks anyway, but the problem is 100% fixed now that I have my engine mounts replaced. Thank fuck for that anyway, the car only has 105,000km on it.

Quote:

Comment

Working...
                            X