DC5R issues after Gruppe M install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R issues after Gruppe M install

Last week I had my Gruppe M intake on my DC5R, and since then I've noticed some negative issues and was wondering if anyone else has come across these....

1) Since intake install, the gearbox doesn't seem as precise as it used to be when stock. Its hard to explain, but its like as if there more friction to get into gear, like as if a bit more of an effort to get the gearstick into the gates. This is most noticeable on 4th and 6th gear. It feels like as if the movement into the gate itself has like a "spongy" feeling, with more friction than any other gear.

2) After driving, when I turn off the car, I can hear a brief screech sound on the left side where the intake is. Again, this sound has only happened after I got the intake installed (I'm fairly certain its not a starter motor problem or anything like that)

I know that just an intake shouldn't make these kind of effects, and its kind of crazy to think that, but I cant help but notice that these things have happened after getting it installed.

Any help/insights?

1) No idea, not sure how this could be relevant to the intake?

2) Could just be the sound of air coming out. All the intakes I've had do this when I turn it off. (This is of course its the same sound) Get someone to start and turn off your car while you stand outside and listen and see if it just sounds like air.

Comment

Originally posted by iVTEC_R View Post
      Last week I had my Gruppe M intake on my DC5R, and since then I've noticed some negative issues and was wondering if anyone else has come across these....

1) Since intake install, the gearbox doesn't seem as precise as it used to be when stock. Its hard to explain, but its like as if there more friction to get into gear, like as if a bit more of an effort to get the gearstick into the gates. This is most noticeable on 4th and 6th gear. It feels like as if the movement into the gate itself has like a "spongy" feeling, with more friction than any other gear.

2) After driving, when I turn off the car, I can hear a brief screech sound on the left side where the intake is. Again, this sound has only happened after I got the intake installed (I'm fairly certain its not a starter motor problem or anything like that)

I know that just an intake shouldn't make these kind of effects, and its kind of crazy to think that, but I cant help but notice that these things have happened after getting it installed.

Any help/insights?
      1. Check the gear selector under the bonnet (it will be a brass coloured lever on top of the gear box). Check to see if there is anything blocking it's movements. I know from the Injen installation that if it is not installed correctly, it will hinder gear changes.

2. Exactly what M@lew said. It is just the air passing through the filter. You don't hear it at stock because of the enclosure. Much like how you do not hear vtec at stock because of the enclosure.
      sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

agreed with suggestions above. check your shifter cables and any possible bushing hinderances. Pad your strut bar with rollcage foam, intake squeek originates from either the carbon box rubbing OR the relative movement between the box lip and flange between the large clamp.

Comment

rollcage foam eh...where to buy that stuff ?

Comment

you can get alternative materials from bunnings or clark rubber, i just used some weather foam stripping and duct tape on my strut bar and underside of cowl, does wonders for this intake especially. foam is a gruppeM owners best friend hehe

Comment

Today I had my mechanic to check it out and just as you all stated, the red Gruppe M breather hose was indeed rubbing against the gear selector/linkages. After re-routing the hose, gear shifts were back to its original preciseness again. Very happy now lol.

P.S. With the squeaks, the intake was squeaking and rattling A LOT. Turns out the guy who installed mine used the the oem bolt on the Gruppe M heat shield, which is too long and not enough thread thus not screwing in properly and making noise. Using a shorter bolt fixed this.

Also, for those who haven't already, consider changing the oem induction hose to a silicone one. It also helps stops rattling and squeaking and wont rip like the oem eventually will. Now I have no annoying noise at all

Thanks very much for all the help guys! ^_^

Comment

Niceee. Been awhile since ive met up with you and since your car, gotta show me brother :P

Comment

I've still got some issues with my gruppe M. I've got the silicone induction hose. I haven't got any padding atm. The squeek i'm getting happens everything i'm moving from stationary and doesn't come on after. Its everytime I stop the car then accelerate then I can hear the squeek. Not sure whether its the cowel top rubbing against the gruppe m entrance mouth or its something else. It seems to go away when i popped the bonnet, but I still can't seem to fix it. I do have that extra padding from factory extra which is underneath the bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                    I've still got some issues with my gruppe M. I've got the silicone induction hose. I haven't got any padding atm. The squeek i'm getting happens everything i'm moving from stationary and doesn't come on after. Its everytime I stop the car then accelerate then I can hear the squeek. Not sure whether its the cowel top rubbing against the gruppe m entrance mouth or its something else. It seems to go away when i popped the bonnet, but I still can't seem to fix it. I do have that extra padding from factory extra which is underneath the bonnet.
                    Try having a look at the Gruppe M heat shield bolts. Might be like mine where the bolt was too long and loose.

Its weird because some people who have Gruppe M have mentioned something about fitment issues with the M's cowl; they have to sand it back a few millimetres or something in order to get better fitment, yet mine fit perfectly and hence no noise... dont know how that works , I guess I'm just fortunate lol

Comment

I 'think' i had had the same issue. I use to get a slight rubber sound squeak when i took off.
                      For me it was the cowl top rubbing against the opening, and due to soft stock engine mounts it would travel so far and cause them to rub against each other. Some padding on the edge of the opening fixed it (thick foam). I think the culprit was the rubber seal around the opening that is provided.

Comment

Working...
                      X