carbon lined synchros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbon lined synchros

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has used these before? carbon lined synchros

i drive a 2000 ITR and done 135,000 on the clock and my 3rd gear is in the early stages of wear and tear. i really baby the car when driving eg i changed my first brake pads at 120,000 and still had heaps of meat on it and same goes with the clutch.

so my question is should i just order the rings only and hope everything else is in still good condition?or if not just order the rest of the parts locally? the negative of that is parts here are currently more expensive than parts from the US. or should i do whole set? rings, sleeve, spring and hubs as well? or without the hubs?

i know it is hard to tell until the transmission has been opened up, but i was hoping someone can give me a insight of what parts shouldn't need replacing.

hoping to save where i can, but since she is opened up i thought i would do all the gears 1/2, 3/4 and 5/R

what are you thoughts?

1) buy just the rings and hope for the best?
    2) buy the whole set and just replace everything just to be sure?

thanks in advance for your insight!

jonathon

i'd go option (1) first, and if when you open it up there is gear damage (unlikely) then you can order the ones that are damaged...

when i pulled down a 180000km 'box the syncros were slightly worn but the gears were fine...
    ... retired/

Comment

thanks Tinkerbell any idea what the extra 2 rings are in this image? as gears 3/4 and 5/R doesn seem to have it

http://shop.synchrotech-transmission...et-SO-137C.htm

it is the extra gold synchro ring with the carbon on the OUTSIDE and the silver ring NOT the springs.

i wonder if i get those as well if i just get the synchro rings and NOT the sleeve set.

Comment

Pretty sure my 4th is a bit worn also.. For someone whos faily mechanically minded (i.e can remove the box/replace clutch etc) how hard is it to replace the syncros ?

Do the US boxes run the same parts as I've seen OEM honda syncros on Ebay US..

Cheers
        4AGTE AE86 --> R32 GTR --> WRX --> STi --> DC2R

Comment

Originally posted by itsuka View Post
          thanks Tinkerbell any idea what the extra 2 rings are in this image? as gears 3/4 and 5/R doesn seem to have it
          yeah, the VTEC boxes have "double cone synchros" for 1-2

--

remove box, open case, dismantle shafts, replace parts, reassemble shafts, close case, re-install box

tools - you may need a press (but i found a hammer worked also)

---

get teh 98-01 service manual from here: http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/
          ... retired/

Comment

Option 2!.... Generally the synro are ok, its the sleeves and ring gets the hammering. 3rd and 4th are a set from honda.

Best to change all of it and you know it'll be good as new.
            BYP Racing & Developments
            Built. Tuned. Driven
            Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

yeah, i had crunches going into 3rd and 4th. its the sleeves thats worn, just get the sleeve set for 3-4, if u want to, get the carbon sync and sell the sync that came with the sleeve set.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help!

yeah i think it is best to change everything just for a piece of mind!

Also thanks Tinkerbell the info regarding the double cones.

Comment

I've got the carbon lined ones .. just rebuilt my box. Have to say, can't beat the synchro now! no grinding etc etc..

May as well get Bearings/Seals at the same time and replace hard parts as advised.. only takes around 1-2 weeks from the US.

The carbon lines synchros are honda oem standard on K series I understand...

Comment

Working...
                  X