DC5R uneven guard gap after lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R uneven guard gap after lowering

My car has been lowered recently on coilovers, to 1 finger gap at the rears and just about 2 finger gap at the front. Parking on flat level ground, I used a ruler and measured the distance between the ground to the bottom of the side skirts on each side, and its pretty much even (give or take a millimetre) height all round.

How is it that the height of the car is the same all round, but there is a difference between the gap (1 finger gap rear vs 2 finger gap front)? I would have assumed the gap would have been the same all round also??

Has any one else come across this? Is there something wrong?

i wouldn't say something is wrong.

apparently measuring with guard (or any body panels) isn't too accurate and measuring with the chassis is more correct.

also your new sussy will probably settle a bit after a while and your ride height will be different again.

it's a road car so its not easy make it absolutely spot on.

Comment

I didn't think this was out of the ordinary, i'm fairly sure when I was looking at lowering options, lots of the springs would have different "drops" for front and back?

Comment

I would say after the install of the coils the car starts to settle and due to the weight of the car they will usually 'lower' more after about the first week.

Think about it like a spring. you have the spring without any weight. add some weight to the spring and it will compress to support the load. leave the weight on the spring for a long time and it will compress untill it has enough support to hold the weight. Therefore making the spring lower than what it was without weight
        Last edited by Timmy_B; 07-09-10, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, I see what you're saying. So how is it then, that from pictures I've seen of other peoples cars on the forum, their DC5 has the same gap all round?

My coils have been installed for 2 weeks now. Could it be that it takes even longer than that for the coils to fully settle?

Comment

Well if you got coilovers i assume they are adjustable in height. Its quite hard to get the height taht you want the first time around so just bring it back to whoever installed it for you and get them to adjust it to the height you like.

The coils should normally settle in a few days if you drive it abit

Comment

Originally posted by iVTEC_R View Post
              Thanks for the responses guys, I see what you're saying. So how is it then, that from pictures I've seen of other peoples cars on the forum, their DC5 has the same gap all round?

My coils have been installed for 2 weeks now. Could it be that it takes even longer than that for the coils to fully settle?
              Just adjust the height to what you want. If your looking at other peoples DC5's and like that they have the same 'gap' all way round just lower the height to what you want....

Comment

the height of the guards itself isnt in proportion to the level of the car. the front guards are higher than the rear guards so even if the car is level the gap between the tyres and the guard will always be more in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by stevan View Post
                  the height of the guards itself isnt in proportion to the level of the car. the front guards are higher than the rear guards so even if the car is level the gap between the tyres and the guard will always be more in the front.
                  Truth. Just lower the front some more. My car used to have reverse rake and I loathed the way it looked, now the tyre gaps are pretty even but it is 10mm or so at the front, measured to the jack points.

Comment

Yeah, the joys of coilovers is you can always adjust it to suit.. Took me many goes to get my sti at the perfect height all round
                    4AGTE AE86 --> R32 GTR --> WRX --> STi --> DC2R

Comment

do you guys adjust with the driver onboard?

Comment

Ok looks like more experimenting. Thanks for the help gang ^_^

^ Mine was adjusted without me onboard. What about you guys? What effect would it have if the driver is onboard?

Comment

onboard adjustment allows you to adjust the suspension so that it is level when your self weight is added to the car. i just allow a couple mm's on the front driver side shock when adjusting

Comment

i did't get it adjusted with me in the car so now the right side is slightly lower than the left (with me not in the car) as i mostly drive alone.

Comment

Working...
                            X