DC2R wheel wobble above 80km/h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R wheel wobble above 80km/h

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone else experienced this. When driving at or above 80km/h my steering wheel wobbles. Only while cruising: while accelerating it goes away. Keeps wobbling even with the clutch disengaged.

It started happening suddenly one day whilst in the middle of driving somewhere.

Thought it was due to my broken engine mounts, so got engine mounts replaced and it didn't help much.

Tyres were completely worn down so I got 4 new tyres, electronic wheel balance, and wheel alignment @ Bridgestone. Now it doesn't wobble as badly but I can still feel it - worried that the new rubber is simply hiding it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

- Andrew

pls dont take this the wrong way, but when i hear "it all started suddenly" i usually listen to the rest of the story then say "so, what REALLY happened?"

it is my experience that cars dont 'go bad' without some effort by a human source...

so, something useful - worn sussy bushes can cause such an issue, as well as perhaps wheel bearing on the way out...

a Pedders 14 point safety check (without telling then why you are getting it!) might reveal something?
    ... retired/

Comment

wheel bearing? cv?
      BYP Racing & Developments
      Built. Tuned. Driven
      Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Driveshaft? I had a problem with the inner CV on one of my driveshafts on my old car, it caused a similar sort of symptom, although mine exhibited the symptom only whilst accelerating and less noticably while in cruise.

Upon further inspection it appeared as though the inner CV bearings weren't sliding in the 'cage' properly and causing the shaft to be out of balance.
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
          pls dont take this the wrong way, but when i hear "it all started suddenly" i usually listen to the rest of the story then say "so, what REALLY happened?"
          Hahaha

Here is exactly what happened: I was driving home one night, accelerating up to the speed limit (70km/h) from some traffic lights at full throttle. No wheel spin, no clutching dumping - just revving to red line at full throttle, and thats when the wobble started.

The old girl's done 180,000km and countless track days so I think something has just worn down and finally cracked/snapped.

Thanks for the pointers guys.. will follow up the things you mentioned.

Comment

Long time no see Andys!

Let us know how you go
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

ha ha - so it was a WOT run to redline?

well - that can break stuff that is already close to busted... stuff that usually wont break when driving around 'normally'... lol...

that said - my car has 210k on the clock and over 350 track laps, and all i have busted are engine mounts (rear and both front), wheel bearing (LHS) and CV joints (only LHS but x2)...
              ... retired/

Comment

I generally accelerate at full throttle at least once per week since I got the car.. doesn't every DC2R driver do this?? [Always changing gear gently and no wheel spin though!]

The wobble appears to be coming from my left hand side - wonder if there's something about the DC2R drive train that puts more strain on the left?

Comment

yes, that is my theory Andy... your new info only adds to it

(but the alternative that people bring up that LHS is gutter side, so more prone to poor road conditions etc...)
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                    yes, that is my theory Andy... your new info only adds to it
                    The left engine mount seems to have alot of play even when new, I wonder if thats got anything to do with it.

Anyway, Pedders thinks its the CV joint which makes sense. They want to replace that as well as all my suspension bushes.

Comment

Working...
                    X