No announcement yet.

Input Shaft DC5R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Input shaft bearing most likely not the entire input shaft unless you been driving around like that for a while.

The bearing itself cost $80-$100 from honda. Ill recommend you change the Input shaft bearing seal.

As for labour, say 450 to RR box, extra step needed is to RR input shaft bearing (400max? (gearbox place usually does it for alot less) Doesn't quite add up to 1.5k what you have said.
    BYP Racing & Developments
    Built. Tuned. Driven
    Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
      yeah, shoulda set it out a bit better...

but what is the best option? is there is a risk of a new input shaft costing as much as a used gearbox?
      LOL... maybe, I was just poking fun...

Input shaft is something like $350 from memory.
      (Heck, I think I may even have one?)
      Anyway, we've got them in before & I think JDM Yard stocks them...
      I'd have to have a look for the actual price though.
      TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
      TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
      Official Australian Distributors
      Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

Originally posted by FRDK20 View Post
        Hey guys,

I took my car to my mechanic today since i had a knocking sound when i go over rough surfaces. He think its the input shaft bearing or the input shaft it self.

My choices are:

I can either buy another gearbox (cheaper) BUT don't know the condition of it

OR

Rebuilt the have i have now

What do you guys think i should do?
        I've just re-read this...
        Normally gearboxes don't knock...
        FWIW, knocking sounds over rough surfaces are usually more simple.
        1st place to look is the swaybar mounts, 2nd place is the pillow ball tops if you have them, 3rd is lower ball joints, 4th is engine mounts, also check exhaust clearence etc...
        When an input shaft dies, it gives off a nasty wer/gringing sort of sound,
        Kinda like the car is stuck in reverse only worse.
        The noise is generally rpm related, but gets worse with road speed.

Another casue of knocking can be the driveshafts themselves.
        If the inner tripod joint shits it'self, this makes a kinda knocking/thumping sound even in a straight line.
        But the rough surface comment points more to suspension.

Re costs...
        I can't comment on other shops, but I can tell you what we charge...
        Gearbox R&R on a DC5* is $550 incl OEM MTF06
        Gearbox overhaul is $250 + parts
        * + a little more if it has those stupid under bars.
        If you go to a smaller shop, other than Honda you will likley get a better price, but you need to be sure they know what they're doing.
        On the up side, any parts you need are only a few days away at most so the best bet is to have it pulled out, stripped & inspected & only repair what needs doing.
        The overhaul cost shouldn't change regardless of how many or few parts you need.
        hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by l__i__l View Post
          from being ripped off a lot

not you specifically but repairers have been ripping me of for years

you say you can fix it....dont give me any idea on how much itll cost

tell me "it wont be much"

open her up, charge me shit loads for labour + extra parts which i dont neccessarily need. then screw up something else, then have the nerve to tell me, "Oh it wasnt what we originally thought" while giving me the footlong bill on a silver platter

bloody oath im going to be cut all dodgy mofos
          Fair enough, sorry to hear that.
          Dave is right in that you should get an up front quote & you should also get 2nd opinions. (I was being a little facetious before)
          You should also be a little pro-active on your part & remember, if you don't approve it, legally they can't shaft you with it at the end when the bill you though was going to be $300 is suddenly $3000.
          Anyway, in future, if you really think you're getting ripped... Don’t piss around; use the Office of Fair Trading... They are there to help.
          Seriously, stand your ground & call them.
          On hearing both sides, if you have just cause they can get things sorted in your favour
          (It might mean it will take a little longer to get your car back, but at least you’ll have an independent opinion on the matter)

Comment

Thanks heaps for the advice guys!
            gonna go get a 2nd quote tomorrow
            yeah i called up my mate who works for honda and the part was only like 70 bucks

Comment

was your 1.5k quote from a Honda dealer?
              ... retired/

Comment

I just rebuilt my gearbox with new synchros and it cost me just above $1k in labor
                similar amount of work to changing input shaft I would think

hope it helps

Comment

If its a knocking sound when going over rough bits then its NOT the ISB. It has nothing related to rough bits... Does the noise happen all the time? When does it happen? Hot/Cold Engine? Plenty of questions, but we need more info to help you.

You will know when the ISB is worn when u hear something that sounds like if u put a plastic card on a wheel then spinning it fast (best way i can explain it). When u clutch in the sound disappears.

Try to get to the root of the problem first, so the 2nd or 3rd opinion is best. IMO the first mech might be full of crap...

Comment

The 1.5k quote was from a local mechanic that builds honda cars.
                    Was gonna go to revzone in melb, but injured my shoulder at work today.

Well the mechanic told me that there is there alot of movement in the input shaft, so when the when the suspension does up and down so does the input shaft which causes this "knocking sound"

Or when the car is in a high gear and low revs it makes the "knocking sound" aswell.
                    hope this information helps

Comment

Originally posted by TODA AU View Post
                      LOL... maybe, I was just poking fun...

Input shaft is something like $350 from memory.
                      (Heck, I think I may even have one?)
                      Anyway, we've got them in before & I think JDM Yard stocks them...
                      I'd have to have a look for the actual price though.
                      That cheap for input shaft?
                      BYP Racing & Developments
                      Built. Tuned. Driven
                      Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Any one correct me if i am wrong but the only way to cheak the input shaft for movment is to remove the gearbox? So how was this daignosised as input shaft with out removing gearbox? Not being a smart ass, asking a vaild question. It seems to me to be more like engine or gearbox mounts, also possible to be drive/cv shafts. Easy to cheak and cheaper to replace. Have all other possiblities been ruled out first as toda au said?

Comment

Working...
                        X