Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilover Traction Loss

hey guys

i have an issue that's been on my mind for awhile.
    When i take the car out to national park and have a session of spirited driving, i experience loss of traction around corners when the road get's bumpy. Not only is it annoying its dangerous as well

I have coilovers that's pretty new and no issues with that.

How do i resolve this issue? change spring rates? or is the coilover the problem?

Currently running stockiesd with32psi
    Blaze Orange

Is it a Type S?
    My answer to that is NO LSD………

Comment

yes it's a type S

really? no LSD would affect it that much? fark me

its a B.C BR coilover as well
      Blaze Orange

Comment

No LSD will only cause this if you are getting inner wheel spin on powering out of exit?

Did you have this problem before getting the coils? I dont have this issue running stock sussy.
        sigpic

Comment

What coilovers are you using? What spring rates? Any other suspension modifications? Hard to say for sure what in particular is causing the issue, even a stock DC5 isn't the most compliant car on a bumpy road.

When you say loss of traction do you mean forward acceleration traction, or lateral traction as in cornering?

Comment

Incorrectly set damper rates will cause that kind of issue to a certain extent. Say for example, there is too much rebound damping, the wheel will not return to the road as quickly after the spring is compressed after a bump, therefore loss of traction will occur.

That is a very simplistic example of course, but it forms the basics of setting spring and damper rates correctly.
            | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Definately need more elaboration.

If the loss of traction is specifically related to the bumpy road and traction is fine on a smoothe surface corner then it definately isn't the LSD.

First thing the came to mind was either your suspension is too stiff or your shock's rebound rate can't handle such frequent bumps. This is applicable to both cornering and powering out.

Comment

As Temp mentioned

Usually the case is that your setup for the road is too stiff, hence the coilovers not absorbing much of the impact causing understeer/loss of traction.

Try a softer setting for the damper as i know with bc's you cant change the spring rates.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeSexy View Post
                  When i take the car out to national park and have a session of spirited driving,
                  this is your first problem, expecting your car's 'race bread' suspension to perform well on low quality roads...

your second problem is that it is likely that you are 'over-driving' your car, so that it is actually your fault that you are losing control of your car - because you are not compensating for the stiffer suspension, and the effect that this has on levels of grip...

that is, instead of saying
                  i experience loss of traction around corners when the road get's bumpy
                  you should be saying
                  i lose control of my car when i try to drive on bumpy surfaces without compensating for my lack of experience/incorrectly inflated tyres/'race-bred' suspension/etcetc
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by Fallenangel View Post
                    Try a softer setting for the damper as i know with bc's you cant change the spring rates.
                    um the only correct way to change spring rates, is to change the springs...
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                      What coilovers are you using? What spring rates? Any other suspension modifications? Hard to say for sure what in particular is causing the issue, even a stock DC5 isn't the most compliant car on a bumpy road.

When you say loss of traction do you mean forward acceleration traction, or lateral traction as in cornering?
                      BC Coilovers - BR series
                      Front Spring Rate : 10kg/mm (558.7lbs/in)
                      Rear Spring Rate : 12kg/mm (670.4lbs/in)
                      no other sussy mods
                      my damping settings would be useless as every coilover is different.
                      But i had it on "hard to soft" so that could be to blame i think. Ill have to try it with soft settings.
                      Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
                      Incorrectly set damper rates will cause that kind of issue to a certain extent. Say for example, there is too much rebound damping, the wheel will not return to the road as quickly after the spring is compressed after a bump, therefore loss of traction will occur.

That is a very simplistic example of course, but it forms the basics of setting spring and damper rates correctly.
                      thanks, im guessing this is the problem as well

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                      Definately need more elaboration.

If the loss of traction is specifically related to the bumpy road and traction is fine on a smoothe surface corner then it definately isn't the LSD.

First thing the came to mind was either your suspension is too stiff or your shock's rebound rate can't handle such frequent bumps. This is applicable to both cornering and powering out.
                      i want the car to preform the same on a track as well as a bumpy road.

Originally posted by Fallenangel View Post
                      As Temp mentioned

Usually the case is that your setup for the road is too stiff, hence the coilovers not absorbing much of the impact causing understeer/loss of traction.

they come in set spring rates you are right, ill just play around with damper settings, i thought maybe it could be something else.

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      this is your first problem, expecting your car's 'race bread' suspension to perform well on low quality roads...
                      tinkerbell, you are a mod on this forum and you post non helpful comments. why you mad though?
                      Blaze Orange

Comment

that is, instead of saying you should be saying
                        My names tinkerbell & i Suck!

Comment

Originally posted by TypeSexy View Post
                          i want the car to preform the same on a track as well as a bumpy road.
                          this is a unrealistic expectation to have.
                          ... retired/

Comment

this is a unrealistic expectation to have.
                            howcome?

is it cause of the type S suspension set up or what?

i remember stock was the same as well with more body roll

srs btw
                            Blaze Orange

Comment

having harder suspension on bouncy roads will cause the wheels to skip over bumps rather than "damp" them while maintaining contact path. softer settings will keep the tyres on the ground but will increase roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X