Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheels -- Argh!

Hi guys,

I've got my gearbox in pieces rebuilding and my clutch / flywheel is due to be replaced while im at it.. The clutch had actually totally destroyed itself and was missing about 50% of the material lol .. suprised it still worked!

So anyhow looks like Im set on the Exedy Stage 1 Racing Clutch but I figure when it comes to the flywheel i may as well get the lightest possible.. I realise its about WHERE the weight is removed, but surely you have toda at around 9lbs and then fidanza at 7lbs, that is significant. Exedy comes in at 8.5lb but thats still nearly 20% heavier than the Fidanza Aluminum flywheel .. There is also a Comptech buy I can't find anywhere that stocks it for the life of me ... 6.5lb!!

Anyhow -- From those of you in the know, am I stressing over nothing or would the 1-2lb saving of the fidanza over the Exedy actually be noticeable on the track?? are we talking a tenth of a second at QR (i.e. fuck all) or a more significant benefit?

isn't fidanza aluminium?

maybe look into the pros & cons of aluminium... then make your decision...
    ... retired/

Comment

I did -- I ended up going with an Exedy Flywheel seemed good value..

I understand with Aluminium distortion due to heat is more probable, more brittle ie may require use of a scatter shield in high power applications.. Most of the feedback in anycase has been that the Al flywheels are actually very reliable and no issues (on near stock / nothing outrageous power wise).. Over 400hp and yes, some people decided against Al.

Anything to add? Might help someone in the future.

From what I can tell, even though the flywheel is 1-2lb heavier than the Al ones, because of the inherent strength of the Chromoly they can remove more mass from the outter area reducing rotational mass -- The Al is lighter but requires the Al to the outter edge for strength, thus adding rotational mass.

Comment

Working...
      X