Soft Clutch Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Clutch Pedal

Hey all... I've searched and there's tons of clutch related threads but didn't find one specific to my issue.

I haven't driven my car for a week, and then today I took it for a drive, and after about 40 kms of driving, I suddenly noticed out of nowhere, at the lights stationary, when I rested my foot on the clutch pedal, it was so light that it would go down about a quarter or a third of the way down without me needing to push on it.

Then when I actually stepped on the clutch to the floor, it was very soft with hardly any resistance at all. I can still get it into gears okay, and it doesn't feel like its slipping. The friction point seems like its 1mm off the floor.

I parked the car at my friend's house and left it for about 15 minutes. When I went to drive again, it seemed "normal" again with resistance and all. After another 10 minutes of driving, it went back to being soft.

I checked some fluid levels and it seems the DOT3-4 fluid (brake fluid?) is way under minimum line level. I can't remember the last time I had the brake fluid bled or topped up. But was reading on the net that maybe its the CMC that's the issue?

Does anyone know the symptoms and what the fix is?

your master cylinder is leaking (probably inside the firewall - look with a torch),

you need to:

1. top up the fluid
    2. bleed the fluid
    3. replace the master cylinder

but you only need to do 3 if 1 & 2 don't work...
    ... retired/

Comment

Thanks dave... any DIY you can link me to?
      I'm guessing, I only do each step if previous doesn't work?
      i.e. if 1 doesn't work, then I move on to 2?

Comment

nah, you'll probably have to do 1 & 2 together, very easy.

my clutch master cyl has been leaking for the last 60'000km and i will change it next time i change my engine...

i have been topping it up every 4 months or so...
        ... retired/

Comment

in terms of topping up the fluid... do i just buy the fluid from a Honda dealer? what am I asking for?

and do i top it up at the reservoir where you read max and minimum?

topping it up will make my clutch feel 'normal' as opposed to soft and light?

Comment

no, dont goto honda, you need some "DOT 4 brake fluid". should be around 7 dollars from Repco or Autoone...

topping it up wont make it feel normal because the reason it feels soft now is due to the air that has entered the lines...

that is why you need to bleed the air out (step 2).

bleeding takes about five minutes and you need the fluid, some plastic hose and a bottle:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=479958

(read that whole thread)

BUT if your CMC is farked, you wont be able to get pedal pressure back...
            ... retired/

Comment

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/n...ave_change.php
              ... retired/

Comment

thanks for those links... now just to figure out where the bleed nipples etc are... haha! might get a mechanic friend to help me out with that!

Comment

the nipple is next to the header on the left hand side,

it is attached to the slave piston which is attached to the gearbox, right where the clutch is.
                  ... retired/

Comment

Wow it worked! for now... After bleeding the clutch and getting lots of bubbles out, my clutch is back to normal, in fact better than normal. Friction point nice and high again like normal, and pressure is back!

Just wondering how long it'll last... Checked around the slave cylinder and no leaks. I checked the carpet inside and nothing wet and no dried up wet parts that I can see. I reached all the way up to the firewall section, where the plastic is behind/above the clutch pedal and my hand was covered with grease and oily type fluid... not sure if this is normal or if it means my CMC is stuffed? But again, like I said... my carpet never gets wet.

Comment

happy days!

and there is supposed to be grease around where the pistons slides into the mastercyl... just not heaps...
                      ... retired/

Comment

Just like to point out this was a very helpful thread. This happened me to TODAY before I left for work.

Will be on it right after work.

Good work guys. Thanks!

Comment

BTW

your carpet won't get wet, but the corrosive brake fluid will eat away at the paint around your firewall.

My clutch master cylinder was leaking from the inside and nothing was visible from the engine bay.

For the first timer its a 4 hour DIY job.

One tip I have is to actually remove the clutch pedal and this will make your life much easier.

Personally I wouldn't keep topping it up I would change the cmc.

I bought a spare new one if anyone wants it.
                          /Oo ___H___ oO\
                          |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Working...
                          X