Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Boot Split

Hi guys,

Found out my CV boot konked out this morning... got grease all over the bottom part of the engine bay. What would be the best way to fix this?

Shuold I just re-boot the broken CV boot or replace all of them? Also, should I be checking/changing anything else (e.g. wheel bearing, hub, etc)

Thanks!

about 80 bucks per shaft for reconditioned one... more if they have to do the labour and take it out for you...

how many KM?

if over 150'000 maybe do both sides?

bearings should be OK unless you have a problem...
    ... retired/

Comment

At the moment 147.000kms. My mate called up saying a CV Boot replace kit cost $20 each side so both would cost $40. Should I get that kit or a reconditioned shaft?

So far I don't have any problem or noises that might suggest my wheel bearings are out so hope it's no biggie

Comment

as long as the split has not allowed any dirt/crap inside and got into the joint, or the joint hasn't run completely dry, then just using a new boot *might* be OK...
        ... retired/

Comment

Yep... we'll open it up tomorrow and see how it is inside...

Thanks Tinks!

Comment

use gloves - that CV grease is BLACK
            ... retired/

Comment

used to have one of these but sold it when i left the trade, basically you fit the boot over the shafts & release the air and it expands the boot so you can fit it over the shaft without removing the bearing ends, If you know someone/workshop this will save you about 40 mins - 1 hour on the job!

Comment

Gloves will be used, and yes we have one of those tools... Will be borrowing a mate's workplace to do all this

He showed me how that thing works as well... looks kinda scary for some reason LOL

Comment

CV Boot is fixed It's the inner one that is leaking because the metal clamp was dented (no damage to the boot itself :|).

Drove pass a road work few nights ago and guessing one of the loose gravel bounced off and hit the metal clamp on the boot.

Replaced it with a new boot and 2 packets of super duper thick black grease and everything is all good now

Old grease on the firewall and tranny case still there... degreaser can't really get rid of it.. wiping it seems to be the best way....

Bearings and everything else looks good and the clicking has gone away!!

Thanks again for the help/tips

Comment

Originally posted by zeth_an View Post
                    Gloves will be used, and yes we have one of those tools... Will be borrowing a mate's workplace to do all this

He showed me how that thing works as well... looks kinda scary for some reason LOL
                    I Know ay like a freaky octopus or something, we had workplace injuru once when one of the mechs thought it would be funny to stick it in another guys ass cheeks!

Comment

Working...
                    X