stretching tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretching tyres

hey guys i was wondering how much you can safely stretch a tyre on larger width rims. i currently have bridgestone adrenalins - 215/r17-40's and i want to fit them on 17x9'' +35 rims. also is this safe to do if i drive the car spiritedly? thanks in advance

If it was inherently safe then the tyre manufacturer would recommend it. Since they don't one can only assume that they consider it to be unsafe, since no-one like a law suit.

That said though if you use caution when fitting stretch tyres you probably won't die. But do you want to risk the safety of yourself and all other road users? Spirited driving probably isn't the best idea though.

Also you can fit a 255/40 on a 17x9 +35 on a DC5 with just rolled guards. A 215/40 will look very bad in my pretty worthless opinion. Few things look as bad as stretch without flushness. Those tyres are too small in diameter for your car too and are probably not the correct load rating so your car is probably already unroadworthy as far as the Australian government and any insurance company is concerned .

Comment

yeh i was trying to see if i could get away without buying tyres again lol. i definately want to go as wide as i can without any modifications but 9'' wide concave rims look mega sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by stevan View Post
        yeh i was trying to see if i could get away without buying tyres again lol. i definately want to go as wide as i can without any modifications but 9'' wide concave rims look mega sexy.
        Dont take short cuts with this stuff man. I dont mean to sound harsh but if u cant afford to maintain it, dont buy it. Want wide wheels, wear the cost of tyres to suit it.
        sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

doesnt sound harsh mate, i just wanted a little insight into the matter. the adrenalins are only a few months old so i should have bought the larger width at the time instead of buying two new sets which is a bit annoying. bridgestone didnt have any rpf1's in the sbc finish at the time and rego was due so i had to slap on a new set on the day

Comment

Sorry but just a related question... would the standard Type S RE050's (215/45/R17) be ok on a 8 inch wheel? Legality/safety/manufacturers specs wise I mean

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post

Also you can fit a 255/40 on a 17x9 +35 on a DC5 with just rolled guards. A 215/40 will look very bad in my pretty worthless opinion. Few things look as bad as stretch without flushness. Those tyres are too small in diameter for your car too and are probably not the correct load rating so your car is probably already unroadworthy as far as the Australian government and any insurance company is concerned .
              Depending on how much camber he is running I beleive it would look quite flush but profile spec is indeed wrong.

doesnt sound harsh mate, i just wanted a little insight into the matter. the adrenalins are only a few months old so i should have bought the larger width at the time instead of buying two new sets which is a bit annoying. bridgestone didnt have any rpf1's in the sbc finish at the time and rego was due so i had to slap on a new set on the day
              a 9J +35 RPF1 17" will not have any concave but it will have a lip and a sunken face.

I wouldn't run a 215 on a 9J as I am currently running some 225 on a 9J and as flush as the rim is, I personally don't like the stretch tyre look that much on a FF car.

Comment

sorry guys typo before the tyres are actually 45 profile. what is the minimum legal width to run on a 9J rim, i can imagine 225 or 235 should be wide enough?
                if i were to buy 17x9 +35 wheels then what tyre size would you reccomend? i was thinking of using an 8 inch wide wheel on the back to minimise rubbing although it might look strange

Comment

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                  Depending on how much camber he is running I beleive it would look quite flush but profile spec is indeed wrong.
                  No doubt the wheel would be pretty flush if there was minimal camber but the tyre would be very hard to get flush with the guards .

Originally posted by starKz View Post
                  Sorry but just a related question... would the standard Type S RE050's (215/45/R17) be ok on a 8 inch wheel? Legality/safety/manufacturers specs wise I mean
                  According to the Bridgestone US site (which is much more comprehensive than the Australian site) the 215/45R17 RE050 can be mounted on wheels 7-8" wide safely. LINK

sorry guys typo before the tyres are actually 45 profile. what is the minimum legal width to run on a 9J rim, i can imagine 225 or 235 should be wide enough?
                  if i were to buy 17x9 +35 wheels then what tyre size would you reccomend? i was thinking of using an 8 inch wide wheel on the back to minimise rubbing although it might look strange
                  A 235/40R17 is approved by most manufacturers for mounting on a 17x9" wheel if you don't mind going down in diameter a little. Alternatively if you want a fatter tyre a 235/45R17 would work, as would a 245/40R17. All of those tyres will fit front and rear with a simple roll at the rear, and a decent alignment.

Thought it might be a typo before .

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post

A 235/40R17 is approved by most manufacturers for mounting on a 17x9" wheel if you don't mind going down in diameter a little. Alternatively if you want a fatter tyre a 235/45R17 would work, as would a 245/40R17. All of those tyres will fit front and rear with a simple roll at the rear, and a decent alignment.

Thought it might be a typo before .
                    thanks mate thats what i wanted to know now im gonna pricehunt the US for some rpf1's

Comment

Working...
                    X