quick tyre question for DC5R rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick tyre question for DC5R rims

hey guys I want to pretty much know if its possible to run kumho ku36 on the stock dc5r rims. Called one of my local tyre guys and hes advised that theyre too wide for a 6.5" rim. I know the stock tyre size is 205/55/16 and the closest size is 215/45/16. the thing that puzzles me is that a mate of mine with a s2k has ku36 all around and i know that their front tyres are also 6.5" wide o.0.

So all in all will this work and most importantly be safe??

Sorry for the nub question

Cheers

s2k has 6.5" rim? arent they 7.5 and 8.5"
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Stock is 205/55/16
      KU36 is 215/45/16

Unless you can find a KU36 tyre running xxx/55/16 tyre shops are all going to give you the same answer.

I know Diz is running some KU36's on some R32 GTR rims (Which are 16x8)

Comment

I don't think its the 205 to 215 and the 6.5" width that you need to be concerned about.
        Its the 55 to 45 and remaining on a 16" rim.
        215/45 would be much more suitable for a 17inch rim i believe, regardless of safety your speedo is going to be off a fair bit due to size difference.

Comment

ok sorry guys realised that the middle number is to do with percentage -.-" freak really wanted to run these tyres without having to spend more on rims =(

Thanks heaps everyone

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
            s2k has 6.5" rim? arent they 7.5 and 8.5"
            nah theyre 6.5 and 7.5

Comment

You won't be able to get new rims to run those particular tyres. The middle number is the side profile of the tyre... the bigger the number the bigger the profile. A 45 series tyre has smaller profile then a 55 series tyre... and subsequently if both are placed on a 16 inch rim, the 45 series tyre is smaller then the 55 series tyre (So has a smaller rolling diameter)

You'll have to find something with the same profile (55/16) if you want to run the KU36's on your stock rims.

Comment

AP1 S2000 wheels are 6.5" and 7.5" wide. AP2 are wider and 17".

The 215/45R16 Kumho KU36 is not approved for mounting on a 6.5" wide wheel nor is it appropriately load rated for a DC5 Integra. So the manufacturer thinks it isn't safe and your insurance company/the police are likely to agree if they find out.

The 215/45 is also much too small in diameter, by around 30mm, and will make your car look like a rollerskate unless it is very dumped, and it will affect the accuracy of your speedometer significantly and your gearing.

The 225/50R16 Kumho KU36 is however approved by the manufacturer for mounting on wheels between 6-8" wide so you can use those, they will look a little bulgy but they will be safe.

EDIT: Here is the link for the available tyre sizes in the Kumho KU36 and their approved wheel mounting widths: LINK. It is from the US site so the available sizes may not be the same as here.
                Last edited by ChargeR; 01-02-10, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                  AP1 S2000 wheels are 6.5" and 7.5" wide. AP2 are wider and 17".

The 215/45R16 Kumho KU36 is not approved for mounting on a 6.5" wide wheel nor is it appropriately load rated for a DC5 Integra. So the manufacturer thinks it isn't safe and your insurance company/the police are likely to agree if they find out.

The 215/45 is also much too small in diameter, by around 30mm, and will make your car look like a rollerskate unless it is very dumped, and it will affect the accuracy of your speedometer significantly and your gearing.

The 225/50R16 Kumho KU36 is however approved by the manufacturer for mounting on wheels between 6-8" wide so you can use those, they will look a little bulgy but they will be safe.
                  wow thanks heaps for the information chargeR. The bulge will be worth the 0.0001 seconds ill shave off at wakefield now

Comment

Working...
                  X